Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Tis the Season for Spring Event (traditionally)

Traditionally we see a Spring Apple Event, so if it is going to be in March we should hear about it soon.

I no longer listen to the "guessers" and "rumormongers" since the past few years they have proven to be grossly inaccurate. I guess the Apple secret police have finally found a way to plug most of the leaks.

Seems like the Spring event often means updated iPad Pros, and a few other items. I've now lost all interest in iPad Pros due to the lack of an iPadOS that can take advantage of their horsepower.

New Macs are possible, but not very likely given this particular event's history. Hopefully we do get some M2 Macs next Fall with updates to the mini, MacBook Air, etc.

Personally I'm not interested, but a good HomePod replacement would likely be welcomed by many. Apple cancelled the original, and released the little minis, but they are never going to be home theater worthy. However, I assume any new full size and full feature HomePod would need to have HDMI-CEC ports and not cost as much as a commuter car, and of course, not be hog tied by the FW or OS.

Last edited by OtinG; 02-28-2022 at 11:42 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 02:45 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Traditionally we see a Spring Apple Event, so if it is going to be in March we should hear about it soon.
We will likely see an invitation today.

Quote:
I no longer listen to the "guessers" and "rumormongers" since the past few years they have proven to be grossly inaccurate. I guess the Apple secret police have finally found a way to plug most of the leaks.
We've seen a LOT of leaks being spot on. As long as you filter depending on who's talking, they usually get things right. Appletrack is a good site to see who to believe.

Quote:
Seems like the Spring event often means updated iPad Pros, and a few other items. I've now lost all interest in iPad Pros due to the lack of an iPadOS that can take advantage of their horsepower.
Rumor mill indicates iPad Air 5 only.

Quote:
New Macs are possible, but not very likely given this particular event's history.
Given the recent addition of Mac's to the euroasiamn regulatory database, new Macs are VERY likely to happen.

Quote:
Personally I'm not interested, but a good HomePod replacement would likely be welcomed by many.
Oh yes! I'd very much like a HomePod or three, but unfortunately they were never officially released in my country. The HomePod Mini is likely too small for my liking (I haven't actually heard it play live yet). Unfortunately it also seems that they are not very reliable, both when it comes to Siri and hardware..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2022, 04:49 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I thought I read in the rumor mill a while back that new iMacs and Mac Minis were coming out with an upgraded m1 processor.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #4
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the past two years the rumor mill has been filled with all kinds of information which didn't pan out. It is mostly just people guessing. Last year they were way off, especially when it came to the WWDC in the Summer. Gurman, who has been wrong more than right the past two years, got everyone riled up in anticipation of an Apple Event next Tuesday on March 8, but no invitations went out yesterday. They usually get the invitations out at least 1 week ahead of the Event. Last year the Event was in April, and given the shipping issues and other events occurring around the world, it makes more sense for Apple to wait until April this year too, but no one outside of Apple really knows for sure. At any rate, I personally don't listen to the internet guessers since they are so unreliable.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The event is scheduled for March 8 @10am PST.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/02/apple...-now-official/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Yep, I just got back home and saw their announcement. It is called “Peek Performance”, so maybe some tweaks to existing devices like iPads. I honestly don’t expect to be blown away by anything this time around. And with shipping still an issue all over the planet, I suspect delivery dates might be a bit farther out this time.

As far as I’m concerned, the iPad Pros have way more performance than iPadOS can even support now. So increasing their performance without making iPadOS a lot more powerful and useful is like putting teats on a bore hog; not much reason to do it. Even my iPad Air 2020 has plenty of horsepower for such a horse-tied OS! (Pun intended.)

I’ve got a brand new iPhone 13 Pro Max 256GB so I’m not interested in new iPhones (although the higher end models probably won’t show up until Fall). A new SE is rumored, but who knows if that will be introduced. At any rate I’m good to go for another three years before I even start thinking of upgrading my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

I’m sure there will be goodies for a lot of people though, but I’m not in the market for any new Apple device at the moment. In the Fall I hope to get an M2 Mac mini or MacBook Air, but even then I will wait to see what the reviews from users say.

Last edited by OtinG; 03-02-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

As far as I’m concerned, the iPad Pros have way more performance than iPadOS can even support now. So increasing their performance without making iPadOS a lot more powerful and useful is like putting teats on a bore hog; not much reason to do it. Even my iPad Air 2020 has plenty of horsepower for such a horse-tied OS! (Pun intended.)
FWIW I have not seen rumors about new iPad Pros just yet, mostly about new Macs.

That said, I am planning to get 12.9” iPad Pro this year, so I am going to wait for the new one whenever that comes out, even if the performance is mostly moot at present.

Even the removal of the 4GB per app memory limit doesn’t seem to have caused much of a ripple. We’ll probably have to wait for WWDC to learn of enhancements to iPadOS that will make iPad Pros more capable laptop replacements.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:46 PM   #8
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
FWIW I have not seen rumors about new iPad Pros just yet, mostly about new Macs.

That said, I am planning to get 12.9” iPad Pro this year, so I am going to wait for the new one whenever that comes out, even if the performance is mostly moot at present.

Even the removal of the 4GB per app memory limit doesn’t seem to have caused much of a ripple. We’ll probably have to wait for WWDC to learn of enhancements to iPadOS that will make iPad Pros more capable laptop replacements.
I haven’t heard anything on iPad Pros either, but traditionally the spring event is when they update them.

I think Apple made it very plain with the 2021 WWDC that they have no intention of turning the iPad Pros into killer tablets with a real OS. I’ll never waste my money on another overpriced Pro unless they turn iPadOS into a usable workhorse. Otherwise the Pros are just overly pricey media viewers and social media platforms. The lesser iPads function fine for that, and are much less expensive. I’ve totally given up now on ever being able to use an iPad in any meaningful way with my photography hobby. Without a real file system they are useless for pro level photography and videography processing. Trying to write documents and spreadsheets on them is a joke.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:28 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I’m interested in the iPad Pro for a number of applications, none of which involve photography or spreadsheets or things better done with a laptop or desktop. Mostly around recording and creating music, displaying sheet music, band-in-a box stuff. It’s great for this, though it could be more flexible about routing and recording audio, which wouldn’t cost them any laptop sales. I like doodling with drawing apps as well, and it’s a great platform for that.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG
Speed yes. The extra RAM on the Pro has been very nice though. I've found iOS 15 to be a bigger memory hog than 13/14. I get far fewer reloads on the 2021 Pro than the Air 4.

Quote:
I haven’t heard anything on iPad Pros either, but traditionally the spring event is when they update them.
iPad Pro releases have kinda been all over the place. There's really no "traditionally" about it.

iPad Pro 12.9 Fall 2015
iPad Pro 9.7 Spring 2016

iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen Summer 2017
iPad Pro 10.5 Summer 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen Fall 2018
iPad Pro 11 Fall 2018

iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen Spring 2020 (pretty much the same as 2018 plus LiDAR)
iPad Pro 11 2nd gen Spring 2020

iPad Pro 12.9 5th gen Spring 2021
iPad Pro 11 3rd gen Spring 2021

There aren't enough technological advances yet for another Pro model. Only thing feasible at the moment is 11" with Mini-LED but I don't think it's likely. I'm guessing we'll see new M2 Macs before new iPad Pros.

I've found rumors fairly reliable. Granted, I've gotten somewhat experienced at guessing which rumors seem unlikely to happen (or at least not happening soon).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-03-2022 at 07:20 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
There aren't enough technological advances yet for another Pro model. Only thing feasible at the moment is 11" with Mini-LED but I don't think it's likely. I'm guessing we'll see new M2 Macs before new iPad Pros.
They could put M2 in the new ones of course.
Old 03-04-2022, 01:49 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
16.10 instead of 4.3 is another change Apple could do. It would be better for video.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Likely not by the March 8 event. I'm expecting M2 + Mini-LED across the board for the iPad Pros but probably only around Fall at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
16.10 instead of 4.3 is another change Apple could do. It would be better for video.
And bad for most other stuff (PDFs, portrait mode, landscape typing with onscreen keyboard, etc).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:11 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Likely not by the March 8 event. I'm expecting M2 + Mini-LED across the board for the iPad Pros but probably only around Fall at the earliest.
Right, Mac lineup will probably get first shot at the M2s. But one can hope!