Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
jadrake
jadrake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thumbs down Kindle 3 bricked - Kubrick no use - any ideas?

Hi all,

My Kindle 3 is frozen on the boot page ("amazonkindle" across the top, silhouette of tree and reader, and progress bar stuck at about 15%).

I've removed the back and checked the battery voltage: 3.7v.

Plugging the device into a wall charger lights the yellow charging light for around 15 seconds, then it extinguishes.

Sliding the power switch does nothing.

Sometimes the light turns green for a few seconds, then it goes off. with random power-cycling it can be made to start booting, but it stops again on that same page as above.

Kubrick can't see the device, as the 30 second power, then volume down sequence does nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam
jadrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your Kindle is unable to re-charge the battery that is too far run down (full charge is 4.2v).
It is sometimes possible to freeze the Kindle (with battery) and then putting it on a wall charger while it is still very cold.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
jadrake

Thanks for the rapid reply! I'll give it a go. (Nothing to lose ...)
Old 04-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
jadrake

Ok, so I put the Kindle in a bag and in the freezer overnight. Just connected power to it, and there's no change. The power light turns on orange for around 15 seconds, then turns off. Nothing happens with the screen.

Any other suggestions, or is it toast?
Old 04-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadrake View Post
Ok, so I put the Kindle in a bag and in the freezer overnight. Just connected power to it, and there's no change. The power light turns on orange for around 15 seconds, then turns off. Nothing happens with the screen.

Any other suggestions, or is it toast?
The light is (in part) controlled by the firmware.
Is the firmware running properly? (hint: no)
So ignore the light, leave it on the wall charger, wait.
Repeat as often as required.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
jadrake

Thanks. I will do.

I've read on here that it has been recommended that Kindles be left on charge for weeks? I'll do that and see what happens. Nothing to lose!
Old 04-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadrake View Post
Thanks. I will do.

I've read on here that it has been recommended that Kindles be left on charge for weeks? I'll do that and see what happens. Nothing to lose!
You might need to leave it in the freezer for a while again before giving charging another try.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:59 AM   #8
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
In this model, the switch breaks very often. If you have such skills then try to open it, pull out this springy plate. See how the reader behaves without a switch.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #9
erdosain9
erdosain9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.4.2 (keyboard)
Maybe this is stupid (i dont know nothing about hack, etc....), but sometimes my K3 also put himself in a dead state... and i slide the switch and maintain in the "on" position (i mean i dont release the switch)... and after some attemps wake ups again, and run fine.

(i dont speak english)......
erdosain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
jadrake

UPDATE:

I did what knc1 suggested, and what I'd read in various other forum posts - I plugged it in to a wall-charger and just left it ...

9 days later ... He lives! The Kindle lives!

I checked on it's progress every day, looking at the screen. Sometimes there was something displayed, a progress bar, an image, other times there was nothing.

But today - green light on solid. Welcome screen visible. Sliding the power switch turns it on, all the books are there, it's navigable.

I'm so pleased! Thanks to everyone who contributed. You've resurrected my Kindle.

Cheers,

Adam