Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #46
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Dr Thorndyke Intervenes has been proofread and sstaley will be uploading it shortly.
How about including the two essays from PG Australia in the volume?
MEET DR. THORNDYKE
THE ART OF THE DETECTIVE STORY
With a place-holder for "5A KING'S BENCH WALK" if it can be found.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was intending to add the two essays to the end of Vol 7 and, as you suggest, I'll leave a placeholder for "5A King's Bench Walk".

Look forward to seeing "Dr. Thorndyke Intervenes"! Could you just attach it to a post in this thread as an RTF or HTML file, please?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #48
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I expect that's what Steve will be doing. As he did with Angelina Frood.

Last edited by Conor; 03-21-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: rewrite
Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #49
sstaley
sstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Dr. Thorndyke Intervenes

Here it is--the long-awaited Dr. Thorndyke Intervenes. Thanks so much to Conor, who valiantly proofed his half and reviewed my half. We agree that this is a very good Thorndyke mystery, and hope that once Harry has included it in his Omnibus, it will be read often and enjoyed.

Yes, I've attached an .rtf file which includes the front matter from the 1930 edition I've used. And I've attached a .jpg of the title page along with a picture of a manuscript that is referenced in the text and should be included in Chapter XIV if at all possible.

Good suggestion regarding the essays, Conor--and I'm glad you'll be including them, Harry.

Best to all you fellow Thorndyke fans,

Steve
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freeman Dr Thorndyke Intervenes front matter.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	48516  
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Dr Thorndyke Intervenes.rtf (689.9 KB, 627 views)
sstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Steve and Conor!
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Added "Dr. Thorndyke Intervenes" to Vol 6; this was the last "missing" book, although a number of essays and short stories still remain to be added. Thanks to MR user "sstaley" for scanning the book, and Conor for helping to proof-read it. Uploaded a new version of Vol 6.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Steve - are you OK with where I've put the tombstone illustration in chapter XIV?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:57 AM   #53
Conor
Groupie

It looks fine to me.
Steve and I were working from different editions of the book.
His had the illustration at the front of the book and the text of it at the point where it was shown at the inquest. The text wasn't included in my copy, but the illustration was on the following page for no obvious reason.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I suspect that the text in the picture won't be terribly readable on some devices, so it's good that it's there in the text, too.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #55
sstaley
sstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheesesstaley can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Harry and Conor--I haven't had time yet to put your file on my Kindle and check it out, but I'm going to right away. I think whereever you put it will be fine--and you're right, the question will be how viewable the picture of the "manuscript" will be on various platforms. As Conor said, the 1930 edition had both the manuscript words in the chapter and the manuscript itself in the front matter, verso or left of the title page--which included the stylized "mystery" drawing that accompanies the manuscript in the jpg. --Steve
sstaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #56
Conor
Groupie

Harry put it immediately after Dr Thorndyke mentioned the enlarged photos he took.
Now I think about it, an ebook gives much more flexibility where to put illustrations. As it fills more than half a page, it wouldn't fit where it properly belonged in my paperback.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Added the essays "Meet Dr. Thorndyke" and "The Art of the Detective Story" to Vol 7. This makes the omnibus complete, with one minor exception - a further essay titled "5A King's Bench Walk", which I've left a "placeholder" for in Vol 7. Uploaded a new version of Vol 7.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #58
Conor
Groupie

And it has the added benefit that the volumes are now in numerical order.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post

And it has the added benefit that the volumes are now in numerical order.
Not for much longer; I've nearly finished proof-reading Vol 3, so the new version of that will mess it up again .

It's really nice that "the end is in sight" for this. When it started out, about three years ago now, there were so many "gaps" that I never thought it would ever be complete and now, here we are, virtually there!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #60
Conor
Groupie

I'd like to see a TV series based on some of the short stories. It would make a change from the endless remakes of Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple, and Hercule Poirot.
The BBC is now filming a 21st century version of Sherlock Holmes
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...ew-series.html