Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #16
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Why would anyone want an app that requires material to be uploaded to an unknown server in order to load onto your device for reading? Calibre is free and allows conversion among formats and direct loading. I can't see the point is using such an app. I cannot see a single advantage over existing "non privacy threatening" technology, but I can see it making simple reading more difficult. I have several thousand eBooks and I can select any one of them wherever I happen to be without jumping through "cloud" hoops.
What advantage do others see? I can find none.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #17
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Readmill is also an online service. You can do highlighting and then developers can use their API to create apps surrounding those highlights.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
henrikberggren
henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5 / iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
No need, we shipped it yesterday http://blog.readmill.com/post/629913...ll-for-android
henrikberggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
henrikberggren
henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.henrikberggren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
Why would anyone want an app that requires material to be uploaded to an unknown server in order to load onto your device for reading? Calibre is free and allows conversion among formats and direct loading. I can't see the point is using such an app. I cannot see a single advantage over existing "non privacy threatening" technology, but I can see it making simple reading more difficult. I have several thousand eBooks and I can select any one of them wherever I happen to be without jumping through "cloud" hoops.
What advantage do others see? I can find none.
Hey DarkScribe,

it's as Jessica Writes. Readmill is more than just a reading app. We're trying to create a community where readers & authors can come together to read, discuss, review etc. For that we've chosen to store peoples books on our service, which for the average user easier than having to use Dropbox/Calibre, but for power users like you maybe it's not the right choice. Happy to listen to feedback and make things better though!

Henrik
Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I tried Readmill and it looks like:
- no full-text search even inside book (every reader I used have at least search inside current book)
- it's unclear how you are you supposed to use Library, my calibre library has a lot of books. Readmill has 500 book limit. Which is not described anywhere. Why I can't upload most of library and use it?
- Sorting. it appears that Readmill for iOS sorts books in some strange order which is not possible to change. Yes, it's possible to search by author/title. But that's all, no way to filter books by genre/author/last read time/etc.
- GUI...no way to change background color (like for example, Kindle's Sepia color). No way to change fonts
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
henrikberggren

New in Readmill: Dropbox import, Pinterest sharing & community highlights

Hey everyone, we just shipped a new version of Readmill for iOS.

Today we bring that community into the book itself. With our latest iOS update, you’ll be able to read along with the highlights of fellow readers, make comments, and discuss a passage without ever leaving the book. And each time you read a book publicly, making highlights and comments along the way, you’ll reshape the experience for other readers. Our new community highlights view is an entirely new way to read together from anywhere.

It doesn’t stop there. Today’s update is brimming with new features crafted with your feedback in mind, including a simpler, faster way to highlight. And when you do find a passage you love, you can now email or text your highlight to a friend or add it to your Pinterest boards as you read. You can also import books to your library from Dropbox.

Read all about it here: http://blog.readmill.com/post/661842...-read-together

Cheers,
Henrik

Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #22
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Wow! Those new updates sound cool! I might get carried away with the discussions though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, books, ios, reading, readmill