Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2021, 05:06 AM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Calibre compatibility across Windows versions

I decided the other day to install calibre on a Toughbook running w7pro. The download page hints me to use 3.48 as the most recent version.

I installed it, of course it worked, but suffered from the same issue as another 3 version I used in the past (maybe 3.2x or 3.1x??) namely the text was forcibly italic with some fonts. I put at a time this question in the forum, anyway the only way to get rid off it was to upgrade.

So I used 4.20 on my w7pro, and have no issues so far. This also reminds me of one of my first questions here (unrelated to windows) when I was replied that whatever 2.x version won't work on my XP although I used it for months

To sum things up, how is indicated that a version works or not or it is "indicated" for a particular platform?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The version compatibility is listed in: https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

You can sometimes get away running a newwer version on older windows, but it is unsupported and likely to cause errors.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
This I know
Just that there is nowhere a list of versions (yeah, not always the newest is the best) and major changes (like the change from w2k to XP, or from 8.1 to 10).

I remember vaguely that I have read some years ago that some older windowses won't be supported for there is a change in QT or something. There is also the issue of 32 vs 64b (or even 16b).

This information is missing from that page. What if one has w98? Well, I do and I won't run calibre onto it, but the question remains. I have a laptop with w2k, which will maybe be downgraded to eReader (and eCreator ) towards its last days....
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sorry I am not going to list every version of windows that ever existed and whether calibre works on it. As the page says for vista or 7 use 3.48 for anything newer, use the current release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And Hardware matters. I had to ditch my Athelon XP system because the basic modules Sigil and Calibre used became incompatible (missing CPU feature).
Sorry, but I don't know of any other reason to run a 'down rev' version of Calibre. Go Linux if your hardware is too weak for decent W10 usage.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, compatibility, windows