Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #196
ErikG
Enthusiast
ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: iRex DR800S, Kindle DX, Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Any chance you can post a picture with a book open?
I can sure try.
What are you curious about? The lighting still or some other aspects of this ereader?
ErikG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #197
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikG View Post
I can sure try.
What are you curious about? The lighting still or some other aspects of this ereader?
The lighting on the edges.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #198
ErikG
Enthusiast
ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.ErikG is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The lighting on the edges.
Almost no ambient light.
This photo is very critical. The impression when holding the ereader in hand is more uniform.
I guess the light is coming from the right. It is just a bit brighter there. The few areas of shade at the top and bottom right are a bit exaggerated in this picture. In reality they are almost invisible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7473.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	189740  
Old 10-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #199
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Just received my Sage ( and Libra 2)

The Libra 2 has a better screen overall.

The black levels are similar, but the Libra has a more homogeneous frontline. I totally see the line, lighter on the right on the Sage, a la Forma (probably an hommage...).

Also on the Libra2, the background is whiter, the frontline seems to get a bit brighter at maximum level and the orange part gets more colourful.
I'll take pictures in a bit
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #200
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Just received my Sage ( and Libra 2)

The Libra 2 has a better screen overall.

The black levels are similar, but the Libra has a more homogeneous frontline. I totally see the line, lighter on the right on the Sage, a la Forma (probably an hommage...).

Also on the Libra2, the background is whiter, the frontline seems to get a bit brighter at maximum level and the orange part gets more colourful.
I'll take pictures in a bit
Which has a better screen, the Sage or the Forma?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #201
ErikG
Enthusiast

Quote:
Almost no ambient light.
This photo is very critical. The impression when holding the ereader in hand is more uniform.
I guess the light is coming from the right. It is just a bit brighter there. The few areas of shade at the top and bottom right are a bit exaggerated in this picture. In reality they are almost invisible.
Exactly same conditions for taking a picture.
This is the FORMA!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7474.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	189741  
Old 10-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #202
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't compare, I never had the Forma.

I think the screen of the Sage is good, it's darker than the Libra2 (The black are slightly darker and the background is not as white)
The frontlight reminds me what the people were criticizing the Voyage. At normal reading conditions, it won't bother me, and probably won't bother a lot of people. ( You have to put the brightness high to see its flaws)

On my end I prefer the Libra2 screen over the Sage by a thin hair.
They've done a good job (The LibraH2O screen was not great in comparison IMO)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #203
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I can't compare, I never had the Forma.

I think the screen of the Sage is good, it's darker than the Libra2 (The black are slightly darker and the background is not as white)
The frontlight reminds me what the people were criticizing the Voyage. At normal reading conditions, it won't bother me, and probably won't bother a lot of people. ( You have to put the brightness high to see its flaws)

On my end I prefer the Libra2 screen over the Sage by a thin hair.
They've done a good job (The LibraH2O screen was not great in comparison IMO)
Thanks. I'm not real fussy about the frontlight. Good contrast is more important.

Does the Sage feel heavy when held in one hand? Is it comfortable to hold?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #204
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Almost no ambient light.
Doesnt't look bad, my Libra H2O frontlight is like that.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #205
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Does the sage come with preinstalled screen protector? Or the stylus is soft enough not to scratch the screen?
Why would you think so? The Elipsa does not have or require one for use. Do you really think Kobo would sell a product that would scratch using their own stylus? Depending on usage and pressure, the nib may wear over time but that's it.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-21-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:42 PM   #206
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Thanks. I'm not real fussy about the frontlight. Good contrast is more important.

Does the Sage feel heavy when held in one hand? Is it comfortable to hold?
You can feel its weight but it seems comfortable to hold. I will need more time with it, but for longer reading sessions, I feel I will rest it on my laps or hold it with 2 hands.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #207
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Exactly same conditions for taking a picture.
This is the FORMA!!
Thanks!, The screen in Sage looks better than forma
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #208
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Thanks!, The screen in Sage looks better than forma
The Forma should never have looked that bad to begin with

Things I like so far :
- USB-C
- screen size
- contrast better than Libra H2O.
- a bit faster than the Libra H2O, even if I was expecting something better on page turns for example (manga/comics mainly, book are good)
- buttons, they are separated (didn't understand the concept of the forma), silent but still satisfying.

Things I don't like :
- Screen background not as white as Libra2, but still good
- Screen front light not as good as Libra2, but still okay
- Kobo still doesn't give us the ability to decide how much orange we want at max when the Natural light is selected. (Please copy that from the Kindle Oasis)
Old 10-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #209
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Is that a good thing? I would prefer a whiter screen and darker text. (I'm satisfied with the darkness of the text on my Forma, but the background is light gray rather than white.)
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:44 PM   #210
Almamida
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
Is that a good thing? I would prefer a whiter screen and darker text. (I'm satisfied with the darkness of the text on my Forma, but the background is light gray rather than white.)
It's not. Not a dealbreaker, but the Libra2 has a better screen overall.