Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #16
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Davidfor, I believe it is a matter of personal taste and reading habit. I read either sitting down or in bed so the chances of the earead dropping down are very small, and a cover is a good compromise, because I am conversely much more afraid of bumping the reader on some pointed surface (tables' edges, for example). I already lost my first ereader (one of the first Bookeen, more than 10 years ago), due to cracks to the screen substrate.
I find the Kobo furnished Elipsa cover really heavy. Surely a matter of personal tastes and reading habits.
That was @davidfor's point. He wasn't saying your personal taste isn't valid. But it's gotta be your taste, not because someone has told you that should be your taste. Notice he didn't quote you.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
That was @davidfor's point. He wasn't saying your personal taste isn't valid. But it's gotta be your taste, not because someone has told you that should be your taste. Notice he didn't quote you.
That is correct. And I quoted someone who is notorious for presenting his opinion as incontrovertible fact.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #18
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is correct. And I quoted someone who is notorious for presenting his opinion as incontrovertible fact.
Ok, thanks!
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:43 PM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Whether an ereader is more comfortable to hold with or without a cover is going to depend on the design of the e-reader, the size of the hand and how the person prefers to hold the reader (side? Bottom? Other?)

And I agree that if I'm using an ereader while sitting on my couch or lying in bed the risk is low.

Another factor that usually doesn't get mentioned in these discussions about whether to use a case is budget. For some people an ereader is major expense and if it breaks they will have to save up for a new one. For other people the cost of replacing an ereader is negligible (if wasteful). Everyone has their own personal calculation of comfort vs risk.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #20
techlady
techlady began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Forma
Adding to/clarifying my previous posts regarding preference for sleeve/envelope cases, this type of clear case is what I have on all devices that use sleeves. These cases are very thin, light and protective around the screen edge and I personally wish the Elipsa would be a candidate for one of these. Of course the big disadvantage with this setup is no sleep function though I've found I now prefer the side button for putting elipsa to sleep--seems failsafe.

https://www.amazon.com/HBorna-Genera...1555975&sr=8-4
techlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #21
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The elipsa is so big that a snap in case that's strong enough to protect it is more likely to make it heavy. So my vote is for a titanium snap in case. Or maybe something carbon fiber. Hinged on the side like the forma. Cost be damned.

Last edited by hobnail; 09-13-2021 at 09:45 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
The elipsa is so big that a snap in case that's strong enough to protect it is more likely to make it heavy. So my vote is for a titanium snap in case. Or maybe something carbon fiber. Hinged on the side like the forma. Cost be damned.
You need the ereader equivalent of these phone cases
https://mostexpensivehub.com/top-12-...-in-the-world/
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #23
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
You need the ereader equivalent of these phone cases
https://mostexpensivehub.com/top-12-...-in-the-world/
Hmm. And for the skin flints there are the ones $60 and under at the bottom of the page.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:42 AM   #24
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
In case anyone's interested: I ordered one of these.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1022749...case-wallet-7?
I prefer to read it without the heavy sleepcover, and these are a nice fit and do feel like they give some protection when I carry it around in a bag like that.
Although I admit it's not too difficult to detach it form the sleepcover, so you could still simply use that to carry it around in and detach at will.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #25
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at the items, they seem to be available from just a few days, maybe that was because I could not find them before. They look nice, maybe the second one, which seems to have a clasp, is heavier than the first one, but there are no information on the weight, which was the parameter which interested me more. The description just says they are lightweight, which is not much. I’ll ask the manufacturer. They will be available in Europe too quite soon.
Oddly, the two items seem to share a number of pictures.

Thanks again a lot.
Bruno
In a review of both, https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...ty_covers_for/ the comment is quite disparaging, it confirms that the covers are basically the same, and worst of all, there seems to be no weight gain.
I'll hold for the time being, and wait for other possibilities. It is not a life and death problem, and I'll keep my money for now, hoping that something better comes up.
The same comment is on Amazon.
Bruno
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #26
Dark-marmotte
Dark-marmotte began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
I found an other one https://www.uwereader.nl/webshop/kob...r---zwart.html
Dark-marmotte is offline   Reply With Quote