Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
geekgeek
geekgeek doesn't littergeekgeek doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Goodreads Book Details not working for sideloaded books on Kindle

In Kindle, there is an "About This Book" for each book which allows you to mark as reading on your Goodreads account and also shows some other information. This works normally for books I've purchased from Amazon.

However, for sideloaded books (not purchased from Amazon) which I've used Calibre to send to Kindle, this function does not seem to work and I keep getting the "Error Updating Profile" message. I've already checked and made sure the ASIN is included in the tag.

Any ideas?
geekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:57 AM   #2
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
You need the ASIN to be embedded into the ebook not just in the ID section of the metadata, you can use the Quality Check Plugin to do that.

Quality Check > Fix > Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire

or you can convert to KFX, the plugin for that will also embed the ASIN in the ebook, but this is only useful if you want KFX format ebooks. (I don't recommend this, converting to KFX can sometimes be complicated).

But even if you do this you wont get the synopsis. I don't know if there is anyway to give the Kindle that information with a sideloaded book unfortunately, but you will be able to tell Goodreads your reading status.

If you've done that and it's not working I'm not sure, it's still working for me using the KFX method but I'm not running the latest firmware on my Paperwhite yet so that might make a difference.
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
geekgeek
geekgeek doesn't littergeekgeek doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny_Dreadful View Post
You need the ASIN to be embedded into the ebook not just in the ID section of the metadata, you can use the Quality Check Plugin to do that.

Quality Check > Fix > Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire

or you can convert to KFX, the plugin for that will also embed the ASIN in the ebook, but this is only useful if you want KFX format ebooks. (I don't recommend this, converting to KFX can sometimes be complicated).

But even if you do this you wont get the synopsis. I don't know if there is anyway to give the Kindle that information with a sideloaded book unfortunately, but you will be able to tell Goodreads your reading status.

If you've done that and it's not working I'm not sure, it's still working for me using the KFX method but I'm not running the latest firmware on my Paperwhite yet so that might make a difference.
Thanks I will try that!
geekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:17 PM   #4
megabyted
megabyted began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
I also have a Calibre library full of KFX conversions - but none of them have ASINs.

Is there a way to search for and match/download ASINs - and ONLY ASINs (I don't want to lose covers, etc)..?

I just realized that in removing a bunch of ASINs I've really limited my Goodreads integration (basically severed it completely hah).

Thanks!
megabyted is offline   Reply With Quote