Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
Kiwires
Kiwires began at the beginning.

Device: None
Update/Installation error on Windows 10

Hi all.
Apologies if this has been brought up before but I couldn't find any links when I did a search.
I was on v5.21 and getting errors when trying to update up to v5.27.
The update would start but get to a point where it would roll back and abort.
I then foolishly uninstalled v5.21 and tried a fresh install and it would start installing new files but then hit the same problem.
This happens with v5.21 up to v.5.27.
I've even tried V5.19 and v5.20. No success.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Kiwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
Kiwires
Kiwires began at the beginning.

Device: None
After a bit more experimentation, I managed to install v5.27 when I turned off my Windows Antivirus.
Kiwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwires View Post
After a bit more experimentation, I managed to install v5.27 when I turned off my Windows Antivirus.
Never had to disable Defender.
Is there something odd about your Windows Logon Account?
Did you fully exit Calibre (check task manager for remnant processes that may keep a file locked)
Oh, and did you do a Cold reboot. Windows updates might have been mid cycle in the update.

As an early installer, I sometimes get a warning BEFORE I can install.

Where did you get the update? (<hint>Only from the official site is a known safe source)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm running Calibre 5.27 under Windows 10 with Defender.No problem at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:29 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No problems here either.

Long shot: try running the System File Checker tool .

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And try installing another MSI - e.g. Downloads - DB Browser for SQLite

BR
Old 09-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Trying to update from 5.2.7 to 5.2.8 & got error claiming error of able to access Calibre2\app\bin\2d704824.rbf.

Problem is that it does not exist BUT "2d704825.rbf" exist with the date of the install attempt. Do not know if the error is with the installer or Calibre as it is 1 digit off.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:56 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Just out of curiosity, but is Windows' built-in ransomware protection turned on? It's known for false positives.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #9
shayaknyc
Enthusiast
shayaknyc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Trying to update from 5.2.7 to 5.2.8 & got error claiming error of able to access Calibre2\app\bin\2d704824.rbf.

Problem is that it does not exist BUT "2d704825.rbf" exist with the date of the install attempt. Do not know if the error is with the installer or Calibre as it is 1 digit off.
Came here to see if others were having issue as well. I'm having a very similar problem, however my file it's complaining about is 14a2db4b.rbf.

See attached screenshot. I even manually changed the security permissions just for that file, still didn't help. I tried installing with and without Windows Defender activated, still same issue. Have never had a problem updating via msi until now (tried each msi i downloaded from all the links on the website, in case one of them was borked).

Any ideas? So weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-24 133351.png
Views:	129
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	189383  
shayaknyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect that file is a R(oll)B(ack)F(ile), thus the serial numbering.
(It, .RBF, does not exist after a successful install)

Someone suggested turning Off 'Ransome Ware Protection'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RansomeSecurity.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	189385  
Old 09-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #11
shayaknyc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

Someone suggested turning Off 'Ransome Ware Protection'
The weird part is, that it's a 0 byte-size file. It creates a new one each time you execute the msi. I do have ransomware protection turned on, but I got the same error with it turned off, so I don't think that's it. Also the controlled folder path is in \User\[username]\Documents - not program installation paths.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayaknyc View Post
The weird part is, that it's a 0 byte-size file. It creates a new one each time you execute the msi. I do have ransomware protection turned on, but I got the same error with it turned off, so I don't think that's it. Also the controlled folder path is in \User\[username]\Documents - not program installation paths.
Sure sounds like a 'rights' issue. You can create, but not update (it is a log of what has been done so far. )
Are you running JUST Windows (MS) Security?
Old 09-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #13
shayaknyc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Sure sounds like a 'rights' issue. You can create, but not update (it is a log of what has been done so far. )
Are you running JUST Windows (MS) Security?
Yep, that's the only antivirus I have on this win10 64-bit machine.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Good pickup

Maybe someone could try TEMPORARILY disabling the MSI Rollback functionality, see ==>> Basics of MSI Rollback

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-24-2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:20 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

BR I have the latest Calibre now installed on 3 W10 systems.
2 are Pro, 1 is Home
Calibre installed fine.
OTOH Windows... those 3 do not look, play or behave the same on my home (not a domain) network, for quite a while (they did, Now I can't see them all from various. A sees B but not C. C sees B B sees A).