Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2021, 11:42 AM   #1336
dan980
dan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-booksdan980 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Aura One
Product: Kobo Aura One
Firmware: 4.26.16704
Plugins: None
File types: Kepub
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: Both
On external SD: No
Steps to reproduce:
  1. use a font with long ascenders (like fbb, use the opentype version)
  2. open any kepub
Current result: the text is cut off on the first line (have a look at the 'f')
Workaround: use Epub (non optimal for ebooks bought from Kobo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	378
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	187001  
dan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:28 AM   #1337
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Not quite a bug, but I couldn't find a more appropriate topic for this.

Is there a way to flash a new underlying OS image?
It seems that "Factory Reset" doesn't remove modifications to the root directory I've made and I'd like to start anew if possible.
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #1338
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintodrimmer View Post
Not quite a bug, but I couldn't find a more appropriate topic for this.

Is there a way to flash a new underlying OS image?
It seems that "Factory Reset" doesn't remove modifications to the root directory I've made and I'd like to start anew if possible.
If you do the factory reset from the Device Information page of the settings, it does not reset the root partitions. Originally, this did a full factory reset, but a few versions ago it changed to not updating the root partition. You can do the full factory reset either manually, or you can enable devmode and do it from the Developers options menu.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #1339
vintodrimmer
Seen this place before
vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.vintodrimmer could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You can do the full factory reset either manually, or you can enable devmode and do it from the Developers options menu.
Thank you very much.
vintodrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:07 AM   #1340
halnurvies
halnurvies began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra H2O
highlightings

On my kobo libra (4.28.18220, without plugins), the highlighting is capricious. In previous firmwares (at least since the version 4.25.15875) they were displayed incorrectly. I'm not sure if this problem has been solved, because now after an indefinite time, they disappear from the screen although they are still indicated as existing in the annotations table.
Have you encountered such situations with your kepub files ?

doux mois d'août

Last edited by halnurvies; 08-14-2021 at 03:09 AM.
halnurvies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #1341
HIP_HOP
HIP_HOP began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra h20
Product: Kobo Libra h20
Firmware: 4.30.18838
File types: Kepub
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: Sideloaded
Steps to reproduce:

Yesterday I tried to load a borrowed book from a library with Adobe Digital Editions to my Kobo Libra H2O. This process works for most books that I try to load.

I borrowed a book that is 38 MB - it has many images inside. It just crashes my kobo when I try to load it. Then kobo reboots.

Do you have any suggestions on how can I open this book on kobo? The book is DRM protected and in epub format. As I'm interested in buying Libra 2, the same would probably happen, right?
HIP_HOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:51 AM   #1342
Gires88
Gires88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Product: Kobo Clara HD
Plugins: KFMon and Koreader
File types: cbz
Steps to reproduce:

I copied a cbz from a manga that i usually read in koreader and i read it whith no problems but when i go back to the kobo OS, conect the usb and later it scans the "new media" i get an infinite reboot. Had to factory reset. I changed the cbz size to a smaller one in case that was the problem but same result. I downgraded to the last firmware and now everything is fine.
Gires88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #1343
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gires88 View Post
Steps to reproduce:

I copied a cbz from a manga that i usually read in koreader and i read it whith no problems but when i go back to the kobo OS, conect the usb and later it scans the "new media" i get an infinite reboot. Had to factory reset. I changed the cbz size to a smaller one in case that was the problem but same result. I downgraded to the last firmware and now everything is fine.
I have had no issues with CBZs and firmware 4.30.18838. In fact, there is one less problem than in previous firmware versions. But, that is with nickel. I don't use either KFMon or KOReader. If this is happening after reading a CBZ with KFMon and KOReader, you should report the problem to the developers of those tools.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #1344
ElricleNecro
ElricleNecro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gires88 View Post
Steps to reproduce:

I have that exact same problem on a Kobo Forma

Product: Kobo Forma
Steps to reproduce:

Copy any CBZ file will put the kobo into an infinite loop of reboot. I had to do a factory reset to stop it.
ElricleNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:55 PM   #1345
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

All I can say is that this is not happening on any of my devices. I don't normally read comics, but, I have explicitly tested them with 4.30.18838 as there was a fix for a problem that CBZs and CBRs caused. And I have rechecked now and I have no problems.
Old 11-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #1346
ElricleNecro
ElricleNecro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All I can say is that this is not happening on any of my devices. I don't normally read comics, but, I have explicitly tested them with 4.30.18838 as there was a fix for a problem that CBZs and CBRs caused. And I have rechecked now and I have no problems.
I have tested with a few of my CBZ file, and they all do induce this loop. The previous firmware didn't do that. I haven't tried with CBR.

There has been a few changes under hood that had big effects. For example on the previous firmware, when the kobo goes to sleep, it would show the cover of the current book I'm reading on the screen, but not on this firmware. The presentation of some epub also changed (interline change between chapter title and text for example).
ElricleNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #1347
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElricleNecro View Post
There has been a few changes under hood that had big effects. For example on the previous firmware, when the kobo goes to sleep, it would show the cover of the current book I'm reading on the screen, but not on this firmware. The presentation of some epub also changed (interline change between chapter title and text for example).
A bit odd. I just checked on 4 of my Kobo devices and if I set them to display the current read's cover, all did. This is with Energy saving and privacy => Show current read & Show books covers full screen both checked and renaming .kobo/screensaver to .kobo/screensaver.dnu to disable the display of images from that directory.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:41 AM   #1348
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I think I finally got my kobo to sync, and I think I've experienced at least 3 bugs.
  • Conflicts between the calibre shelves on the device and the cloud shelves cause sync to fail
  • When a sync is failing, the sync does not stop even if the cancel button is pressed and wifi is turned off; it seems to stop only after a time out.
  • Wifi can fall asleep and turn off while the sync is in progress if it takes too long and then it times out without completing.

I finally got a sync to complete by clearing the shelves and then using devmode to force wifi on until it finally finished. After the sync, a few more shelves showed up, and I went into calibre and fixed some case duplication issues and then re-cleared them on the device. It still takes a long time to sync, but at least it is finishing now.

The first one I'll just have to watch for and be careful when I rename stuff.

The second two seem to be kobo bugs, but considering it is triggered by having a huge number of shelves added by calibre, I doubt kobo would be very receptive to a bug report. Suggestions?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #1349
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElricleNecro View Post
I have tested with a few of my CBZ file, and they all do induce this loop. The previous firmware didn't do that. I haven't tried with CBR.

I'm with @DNSB on the sleep screen as well. I haven't seen any change for that. All my devices are showing the covers in the way they are configured in the settings.

For epub display, I haven't noticed any differences. I was reading an epub on my Clara HD when the update happened and there was no difference in the before an after. But, I'm not sure what "interline change between chapter title and text" means. Is that at space between the header that shows the chapter title and chapter progress? If so, are you using patches to adjust this? I've seen a mention of something change related to this and the patch had to change or didn't work.

Or is it something within the book? Maybe the spacing between the chapter heading and the first line of text? In either case, I haven't noticed any changes over the last few firmware versions. Books with identical layout and stylesheets look exactly the same.
Old 11-26-2021, 03:01 AM   #1350
BENETNATH
BENETNATH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo HD
Hello,
i need help for my Kobo Glo HD.

My kobo n437 - motherboard 37nb-e60q90+4a2 had a crash yesterday.
I'm back on the configuration page.
I can enter the wifi but when it tries to look for updates, it mentions an error and goes back to the initial page.
I got the latest img and flashed it without error (using rufus under windows).
I tried to boot but it stays off with jus the red light active

any idea ?

Thanks
BENETNATH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app