Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Four! I am an unrepentant software geek. Have you ever used quoll writer? It's actually pretty good!
I've obviously looked at it before because I can see it in my bookmarks collection, but I don't remember much about it*. A glance at it now shows progress is slow (last update 3 years ago, although some - very few - comments going through about the v3 beta, in more recent times).

* At a guess I may have been put off by it being based on Java, I've never had much luck with Java based user interfaces, they tend to feel slow and clunky. The other thing about Java is that I hate working with it, so this takes away from what would otherwise have been a major attraction: open source.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:11 AM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Make that six, if it will work on my ancient pc.
I've used Quoll mainly for the "warm ups" which are fun, but never really used it to write anything lengthy. Seems a bit faffy.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've used Quoll mainly for the "warm ups" which are fun, but never really used it to write anything lengthy. Seems a bit faffy.
I just realized I still have BB6 on my damn laptop (Truby's program. Blockbuster-something-something). Man, that is really...not great. It had great concepts, one of the earliest programs to really delve into everything a genre writer needs, for a solid piece of fiction, but OMG, it's clunky as s**t. Like, Win98 clunky.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #34
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I just realized I still have BB6 on my damn laptop (Truby's program. Blockbuster-something-something). Man, that is really...not great. It had great concepts, one of the earliest programs to really delve into everything a genre writer needs, for a solid piece of fiction, but OMG, it's clunky as s**t. Like, Win98 clunky.

Hitch
But not Win95 or Win3 clucky ... or, heaven forbid, Win2 clunky?

(Not a serious question. It just amused me that you picked on Win98. I still possess an old text-based game called "Rogue" in which various villainous monsters roamed the screen as simple ASCII characters - a Z for zombie etc. (OMG, I see it's even earned its own Wikipedia page.) So there's clunky and then there's clunky. )
Old 07-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
But not Win95 or Win3 clucky ... or, heaven forbid, Win2 clunky?

(Not a serious question. It just amused me that you picked on Win98. I still possess an old text-based game called "Rogue" in which various villainous monsters roamed the screen as simple ASCII characters - a Z for zombie etc. (OMG, I see it's even earned its own Wikipedia page.) So there's clunky and then there's clunky. )
Akshually, I was picking on BB6. I was pretty happy, at the time, with old Win98. And I loved XP, too. Supported by them for nearly,what, 15 years?

But this thing with BB6; every time I try to run it, I get a compatibility error. I even aided the software guy--don't recall his name now--in some testing waaaaaaaaay back, for...Win7? Maybe Win8. Anyway...it's just clunky as poop.

Hitch
Old 07-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #36
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
FAFFY? I don't get out much.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:09 PM   #37
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
FAFFY? I don't get out much.
"faff", verb, is a mostly British colloquialism meaning to fuss or differ dither about ineffectually.

OED suggests it derives from "faffle": a. To stutter or stammer; to utter incoherent sounds. b. To saunter; to fumble. c. Of a sail: To flap idly in the wind.

So faffy would be a product that has us doing lots of fussing about to little effect. Which sounds like exactly what we are looking for.

Last edited by gmw; 07-25-2021 at 01:58 AM. Reason: That should have been dither, not differ ... I can't even blame auto-correct.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:18 PM   #38
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
"faff", verb, is a mostly British colloquialism meaning to fuss or differ about ineffectually.

OED suggests it derives from "faffle": a. To stutter or stammer; to utter incoherent sounds. b. To saunter; to fumble. c. Of a sail: To flap idly in the wind.

So faffy would be a product that has us doing lots of fussing about to little effect. Which sounds like exactly what we are looking for.
Thanks, yes that's exactly what I meant: too much faffing about.
Sorry, I didn't consider it might be an exclusively British colloquialism.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:53 PM   #39
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! QW isn't my favorite, but it's fairly decent, and not impossible to use.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This seems to be a lot of kerfuffle about nothing.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #41
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

90% of the internet is a kerfuffle about nothing.

5% is name calling as a result of the kerfuffle.

4% is trying to get the last word in on that kerfuffle.

and 1% is. . . well. . . I've never actually seen that 1% so I don't know.

I'm sure there are facts on the internet about all that.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #42
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

And your point is...????

Hitch
Old 07-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #43
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
90% of the internet is a kerfuffle about nothing.
Wait...I thought the internet was for p0rn? There's even a song about it!

I'm not getting my memos!
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:18 PM   #44
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
Wait...I thought the internet was for p0rn? There's even a song about it!

I'm not getting my memos!
Not since Tumbler quit showing "Alternate Lifestyle" pages, took all the fun out of smut if you ask me.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:02 PM   #45
BookCat
C L J

Quote:

Tags
free, snowflake method, writing software