Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-23-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Metadata plugboards

Hi,

As I'm moving from reading on an e-ink device to my phone, I've just installed Calibre Companion. Everything seems to be working fine, except plugboards.

In my book title, I wish to have the number of pages displayed, so I use the following plugboard:

Code:
{title}{#pages:| (|)}
(The #pages column is being filled out by the Count Pages plugin.)

It works for my old Kindle KPW (AZW3/Any Device), and KA1 (epub/Any device). I expected it to work for Android/CC as well, because I selected "any device." I've also tried epub/ANDROID, I alsotried the field "title" and "title_sort", but still no go: Calibre Companion keeps displaying only the title.

How can I get Calibre Companion to display the number of pages in the title?

Thanks
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Hi,

As I'm moving from reading on an e-ink device to my phone, I've just installed Calibre Companion. Everything seems to be working fine, except plugboards.

In my book title, I wish to have the number of pages displayed, so I use the following plugboard:

Code:
{title}{#pages:| (|)}
(The #pages column is being filled out by the Count Pages plugin.)

It works for my old Kindle KPW (AZW3/Any Device), and KA1 (epub/Any device). I expected it to work for Android/CC as well, because I selected "any device." I've also tried epub/ANDROID, I alsotried the field "title" and "title_sort", but still no go: Calibre Companion keeps displaying only the title.

How can I get Calibre Companion to display the number of pages in the title?

Thanks
I don't use this plugboard myself but perhaps you need to have device set to SMART_DEVICE_APP.

Another option is to display your #pages values in the CC list view using CC Settings - Customize the book list - Extra information on the book list.

Plus, there's the option to show any columns you like in the Book Details.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tested this plugboard which I was using for my KA1:

Code:
{series:|| }{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}{#pages:| (|)}
It works for the Moon+Pro reader, so calibre does change the information in the books during the upload. Moon+Pro reads this information when importing the books.

For Calibre Companion it doesn't work, so I think Calibre sends the original metadata directly to Calibre Companion.

It doesn't matter though; I have found the options to adjust the book list in Calibre Companion.

The "Pages" line in the details view shows {0; though. I haven't found an option to select a field for this line. I do have a #pages column, so maybe it's conflicting?
Old 09-23-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
The "Pages" line in the details view shows {0; though. I haven't found an option to select a field for this line. I do have a #pages column, so maybe it's conflicting?
I'm not really clear what you're saying...

To display the contents of #pages in Book Details you just need to open any book's details page, then select 'Choose items to display' from the 3-dots menu and make sure you check & position the Pages item (or whatever the #pages label is).

If there is no #pages number displayed perhaps you need to close CC then re-open it and reconnect to calibre to get the metadata updated.

It's so long since I did my CC initial setup & config I'm a bit hazy on some of the original details.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:46 AM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not really clear what you're saying...

To display the contents of #pages in Book Details you just need to open any book's details page, then select 'Choose items to display' from the 3-dots menu and make sure you check & position the Pages item (or whatever the #pages label is).
I know. When I select Pages (#pages) for display in the book list, the actual number that is in that field will be displayed. If I select Pages (the #pages column again) in the book details, the displayed value is {0; Seems like a bug.
Advert
Old 09-24-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC ignores plugboards, just as it ignores metadata inside books. Neither make sense in a CC context.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks, that's clear enough when CC gets its metadata from calibre (either pulling it from there, of having it sent). What about this, from the previous post?

"When I select Pages (#pages) for display in the book list, the actual number that is in that field will be displayed. If I select Pages (the #pages column again) in the book details, the displayed value is {0;"
Old 09-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks, that's clear enough when CC gets its metadata from calibre (either pulling it from there, of having it sent). What about this, from the previous post?

"When I select Pages (#pages) for display in the book list, the actual number that is in that field will be displayed. If I select Pages (the #pages column again) in the book details, the displayed value is {0;"
That probably says that the format you have stored with the integer custom column isn't something that CC can handle. In particular, CC can deal with "{0:" and "{:", but it can't deal with the format "{0;" (that I think is invalid even in calibre).

What is the exact column definition in calibre for #pages?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
That probably says that the format you have stored with the integer custom column isn't something that CC can handle. In particular, CC can deal with "{0:" and "{:", but it can't deal with the format "{0;" (that I think is invalid even in calibre).
The same column #pages does show the correct number in the book list.

Quote:
What is the exact column definition in calibre for #pages?
It's an Integer column, and the "Format for numbers" field has been set to {0;} around... 8 years ago Probably through a howto or another.

I just removed the number formatting, and the display in calibre didn't change. In the details screen, the #pages column now works as well. (I still wonder why it worked in the book list, though.)

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-25-2018 at 04:37 PM.