Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
cootcraig
Enthusiast
cootcraig began at the beginning.

Device: 2nd gen. Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Fire HD vs Fire HDX?

I'm considering 2 Fire models for my first device. The sellers give this information:

amazon kindle fire hd 3rd gen ereader tablet for $30
amazon kindle fire hdx (3rd gen) 16gb, wi-fi, 7in for $43

I'm confused about the difference between these, both are described as 3rd gen. Any thoughts on which to purchase? I plan to use Calibre to manage ebooks when I get started.

Note, when I registered I listed device as Kobo Aura One. This is the new device I think I want, but I'd like to start with a less expensive device first.

Last edited by cootcraig; 09-08-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: explain device: Kobo Aura One
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The 3rd generation Fire tablets came out in 2013. The HDX has a higher resolution screen (1920x1200) than the HD (1280x800). Neither will run the current version of Fire OS.

The 7th generation is current and the 8th gen will be coming out next month. A 7th generation Fire HD8 sells for $80 new, $65 refurbished.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Note, when I registered I listed device as Kobo Aura One. This is the new device I think I want, but I'd like to start with a less expensive device first.
The Fire tablets are totally different type of devices than the Kobo. They won't give you any idea of what using an e-ink reader is like as they are backlit tablets.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The Fire tablets are totally different type of devices than the Kobo. They won't give you any idea of what using an e-ink reader is like as they are backlit tablets.
I understand, but I want to try out Calibre, get a few books, and try lending ebooks from my local library district. If I get the Kobo later I think I'll still have uses for a Fire device.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The 3rd generation Fire tablets came out in 2013. The HDX has a higher resolution screen (1920x1200) than the HD (1280x800). Neither will run the current version of Fire OS.

The 7th generation is current and the 8th gen will be coming out next month. A 7th generation Fire HD8 sells for $80 new, $65 refurbished.
Thanks, that is helpful. This article got me interested in a used Fire device, and the Fire HDX in particular. I was not sure that the HD and HDX were different devices in the same year.

How is Amazon’s 2013 tablet still the best one it ever released?

Also the Fire HDX 7" would have audio output would it not. I don't think the Kobo Aura One has audio.
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
The. 8.9 Hdx native screen resolution is greater then 1920 X 1200. It is 2560 X 1600 . I have two of the 8.9 inch hdx tablets. One of each generation. The last one they released runs os 5, and will easily also run Google play store and apps etc .. the previous years version will not run Google stuff and is stuck at os 4. There are some other minor differences e.g. the newer one has better support for mkv format videos. Both have excellent Dolby sound and support eac3 aka Dolby digital audio formats but it is the pixel density of over 300 ppi that earns them the best tablet Amazon ever made accolade
The newer hd tablets are budget tablets, Amazon have stripped out anything that helps reduce manufacturing costs. Both CPU and GPU are less powerful but good enough for streaming Amazon video. Though any incoming email causes a brief interrupt to video streaming on the 2017 hd 10. Even with notifications off. There is not enough grunt to smoothly mutli task around that.

A little googling will find detailed side by side specs but subjectively I did some side by side tests watching Amazon video and decided that that the next looks and sounds better.
So for me, although the screen is an inch smaller, I prefer watching and listening to stuff on 8.9 hdx to watching stuff on hd 10

Last edited by stumped; 09-08-2018 at 02:34 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote