Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #31
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I'm pretty sure "Djinni" isn't an English word. No matter how you spell it.

But I may be confused.
It's genie in English. Roughly translated.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The original King's English doesn't actually exist any longer. It's changed since the English of the very first King. Think of a Shakespeare play and how different the English is now from the English back then.

There is no proper English. ALL English has changed. In the US the first English was the same as in the UK. That version of English has changed in both the US and the UK. The English in AU was the English from UK and that also changed.

There is not one English speaking country that has not has the English change. So saying that the English in the UK is proper English (as they would say in the UK) is a load of rubbish.
I am aware, that is why I lampooned it as The King's English vs. the silly 'muricans...

Yes, this so-called-translating makes me bitter.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A $&@!* SORCERER'S STONE! $&@!*

There, I feel a little better now.
Advert
Old 01-08-2015, 01:04 AM   #33
AwfulWaffle
AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.AwfulWaffle knows who John Galt is.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 9
At Amazon and Google Play (likely elsewhere) a few Ray Bradbury books can be had for .$99 cents and $1.99 and many more for $3.99 including the 900 page collection of 100 stories.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:23 AM   #34
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
FREE/BARGAIN - Science Fiction, Fantasy - 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
It's genie in English. Roughly translated.

Genie reminds me of Disney version of the mythological creature, all benevolent and just waiting for you to rub that lamp and make a wish.

Jinni or djinni is much more closer to the original meaning of badass mof that are fire and air beings in Arabic mythology. They are just one class under the class of angels. Ifrits and Ghouls are types of jinni for example. And very dangerous types for that matter. Ghouls meaning has changed in the west, but originally they are not what you think they are.

Maybe it's just me but Disney has forever ruined genie for me. Ironically there's no magic there. It's too safe.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #35
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Genie reminds me of Disney version of the mythological creature, all benevolent and just waiting for you to rub that lamp and make a wish.

Jinni or djinni is much more closer to the original meaning of badass mof that are fire and air beings in Arabic mythology. They are just one class under the class of angels. Ifrits and Ghouls are types of jinni for example. And very dangerous types for that matter. Ghouls meaning has changed in the west, but originally they are not what you think they are.

Maybe it's just me but Disney has forever ruined genie for me. Ironically there's no magic there. It's too safe.
Well, yes, but Disney wasn't likely to have a ghoul in one of its productions! Actually, I'm thrilled that they did an Arabic myth of any kind. Aladdin is the only reason I was exposed to any of that idea/culture (including the flying carpet!) at a young age. When I was older, I was curious about genies--assuming they were European because of I Dream of Jeanie (which was not a great show btw)? But once I was on to the idea, I had to research. There's some great "characters" in the Arabic culture and the Djinn is one of my favorites. Although if I ever write one I'd lean toward a magical bad-ass, not necessarily a ghouls!
Advert
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #36
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $1.99 for today only (Jan 8th) according to the newsletter from Open Road Media (couponable @ Kobo, price good for all the regular Canada & US stores, may or may not also be discounted elsewhere, etc.):

The Outlaws of Sherwood by World Fantasy Award & Newbery Medal winner Robin McKinley (ISFDB, Wikipedia), her Robin Hood retelling (Wikipedia) originally out from HarperCollins' Greenwillow imprint in 1988, and reprinted many times since. I think I may already have a paperback of this, but at this price, I'm going to snap up the e-copy as well and hope that ORM do more sales on her backlist stuff soon.

The Robin Hood legend comes thrillingly alive in Robin McKinley’s reimagining of the classic adventure

Young Robin Longbow, subapprentice forester in the King’s Forest of Nottingham, must contend with the dislike of the Chief Forester, who bullies Robin in memory of his popular father. But Robin does not want to leave Nottingham or lose the title to his father’s small tenancy, because he is in love with a young lady named Marian—and keeps remembering that his mother too was gentry and married a common forester.

Robin has been granted a rare holiday to go to the Nottingham Fair, where he will spend the day with his friends Much and Marian. But he is ambushed by a group of the Chief Forester’s cronies, who challenge him to an archery contest . . . and he accidentally kills one of them in self-defense.

He knows his own life is forfeit. But Much and Marian convince him that perhaps his personal catastrophe is also an opportunity: an opportunity for a few stubborn Saxons to gather together in the secret heart of Sherwood Forest and strike back against the arrogance and injustice of the Norman overlords.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #37
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free again from small press re-publisher Books We Love via KDP Select @ Amazon:

Killer Karma by Lee Killough (ISFDB, Wikipedia), who back in the 80s wrote a series of ground-breaking paranormal mysteries which helped set the stage for the current urban fantasy trend, according to people who know much more about sfnal history than I do. Anyway, this is her later "ghost cop investigates his own death" paranormal mystery, originally out in 2005 from the now defunct sf/fantasy specialty imprint Meisha Merlin (Wikipedia), who imploded just as they were going to start publishing some new/newly-collected stuff from authors I was really looking forward to reading.

Inspector Cole Dunavan is a cop without a body. A ghost who can't remember anything except his own murder. No one sees or hears him. He cannot move objects and initially cannot move through closed doors. When he learns that his body has not been found and the circumstances of his disappearance make it appear he betrayed his marriage and was killed by his mistress...who has also disappeared, he vows to put things right. A murdered cop, a ghost and an avenger working to communicate with his former partner, get straight with his wife, and catch his own killer.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #38
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
The second anthology in the Apocalypse Triptych, The End Is Now, is on sale for 99 cents at Amazon. Sadly, the ebook's still an Amazon exclusive.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #39
MMHaven
MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.MMHaven is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ghost Planet, by Sharon Lynn Fisher, is $2.99 across all US sites.

Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/ghost-planet

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Planet-S...s=ghost+planet

Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ghos...i=ghost+planet

Quote:
Psychologist Elizabeth Cole prepared for the worst when she accepted a job on a newly discovered world--a world where every colonist is tethered to an alien who manifests in the form of a dead loved one. But she never expected she'd struggle with the requirement to shun these "ghosts." She never expected to be so attracted to the charming Irishman assigned as her supervisor. And she certainly never expected to discover she died in a transport crash en route to the planet.

Reincarnated as a ghost, Elizabeth is symbiotically linked to her supervisor, Murphy--creator of the Ghost Protocol, which forbids him to acknowledge or interact with her. Confused and alone--oppressed by her ghost status and tormented by forbidden love--Elizabeth works to unlock the secrets of her own existence.

But her quest for answers lands her in a tug-of-war between powerful interests, and she soon finds herself a pawn in the struggle for control of the planet...a struggle that could separate her forever from the man that she loves.
I suspect this is part of the promotion that Macmillan runs every month, where they offer certain books in each genre for $2.99. I haven't received the email yet, so I can't be sure.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMHaven View Post

Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebook/ghost-planet

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Planet-S...s=ghost+planet

Nook: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ghos...i=ghost+planet

I suspect this is part of the promotion that Macmillan runs every month, where they offer certain books in each genre for $2.99. I haven't received the email yet, so I can't be sure.
So Google Play, Books-a-Million, and eBooks.com are not US sites? What country/countries are they in?

Google: https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=3lxFmZUM6XkC

eBooks: http://www.ebooks.com/922962/ghost-p...r-sharon-lynn/

BAM: http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Ghost...=6208592075266

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-09-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #41
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So Google Play and eBooks.com are not US sites? What country are they in?
Googleonia?
Old 01-09-2015, 11:18 PM   #42
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMHaven View Post

I'd recommend a pass on this one. I really liked the premise, and the book started out well, but wow, it crashed and burned. It was like the first part was written by one person and the second part another. I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't. YMMV.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:30 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, first book in his Mazalan series, is currently £1.99 at most UK ebook stores.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Gods & Dragons: 8 Fantasy Novels
Quote:
High fantasy at its finest! Demons, goddesses, dragons, outlaws and paladins—find everything you love in a great adventure in this bundle of 8 full-length novels.

Richly drawn characters, bold worlds, magic, betrayal, friendship and hope. If you've ever longed to dare epic deeds of your own, then these stories are for you!

It's a LIMITED EDITION bundle that won't be around long. Each book can stand alone, although many are part of a larger world also waiting to be explored.

This epic read of about 2200 pages with over 200 5-star reviews for the individual books includes:

* MOTH (Moth Saga: Book 1) - Daniel Arenson
* EMPIRES OF MOTH (Moth Saga: Book 2) - Daniel Arenson
* HIDDEN (Dragonlands: Book 1) - Megg Jensen
* MAGIC OF THIEVES (Legends of Dimmingwood: Book 1) - C. Greenwood
* CITY OF DEMONS - Kevin Harkness
* BLAZE (Tranquility: Book 1) - Krista D Ball
* NIGHT OF WOLVES (The Paladins: Book 1) - David Dalglish
* CLASH OF FAITHS (The Paladins: Book 2) - David Dalglish
Currently it's just .99 but who knows how long that will last?

Amazon US
Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #45
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Gods & Dragons: 8 Fantasy Novels
Currently it's just .99 but who knows how long that will last?

Amazon US
Also at Kobo. Kobo also suggests another bundle which is $0.99 and includes the same authors:

Magic, Myth & Majesty: 7 Fantasy Novels also at Amazon US
Closed Thread