Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
ignatiusjreilly
ignatiusjreilly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Question Book position not saved with USB-loaded MOBI files on recent Kindles: known issue?

Hi,

I am still rocking a Kindle Keyboard because I've had an issue with non-copyright MOBI files on all the subsequent models I've tried up through the Oasis 2.

The issue is that when I switch from reading a MOBI file to another book, then switch back to the original MOBI, the Kindle does not remember my position in the book and puts me back at the beginning of the file.

I am not trying to sync between multiple devices, only a single Kindle e-reader.

When I asked Amazon about this, I was told it's expected behavior because the more recent Kindle software treats MOBI files as "documents" rather than books and thus does not remember positions. However, this is 100% not an issue on my Kindle Keyboard - I can switch between MOBI books all night long and my page position is always saved when I come back.

Is this in fact a known issue, and is there any workaround?

FYI, I typically drop MOBI files directly into the Kindle's Documents folder via USB using Windows File Explorer.

Possible solutions I have not tried:

-Syncing MOBI files to the Kindle with Calibre rather than File Explorer
-Converting the MOBI files to AZW3 with Calibre and then syncing
-Emailing the MOBI files to the Amazon cloud address

Would any of these be likely to help?

Thanks...

Last edited by ignatiusjreilly; 01-08-2018 at 09:49 PM.
ignatiusjreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Probably converting would be your best bet.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Try sending the file from Calibre. Also you can try converting it to azw3 before sending.

All my books are sent from Calibre. Never have had a problem.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
ignatiusjreilly
ignatiusjreilly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
After converting MOBI to AZW3 with Calibre and syncing, will Kindle see the AZW3 files as books or "documents"?
ignatiusjreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatiusjreilly View Post
After converting MOBI to AZW3 with Calibre and syncing, will Kindle see the AZW3 files as books or "documents"?
If you send the files from Calibre, your Kindle will see them as books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have often noticed on my KV that my place is off by one or two pages. These are kindle books from Amazon. I can't explain it unless I inadvertently hit something before I close the cover. It happens on a regular basis: maybe once every couple of weeks. It's obvious because I often stop at the end of a chapter.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatiusjreilly View Post
When I asked Amazon about this, I was told it's expected behavior because the more recent Kindle software treats MOBI files as "documents" rather than books and thus does not remember positions.
As you surmised, that's rubbish: the Kindle remembers your last-read position in everything it reads, even 'My Clippings', which is just a text file! It definitely remembers them in MOBI documents (or reading periodicals, which are all a variant of MOBI, would be a nightmare).

Something is wrong, and at least one member of Amazon tech support needs retraining.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mobi, page, position