Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #46
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiworld View Post
Really want to share my disgust with Amazon. I bought unknowingly, a DX Graphite at a fleamarket that turned out not to function. Amazon refused to help because I could not retrieve the serial number.
After SirAlex provided a method to retrieve the correct serial number, Amazon now claimed it was demo model that was not supposed to be sold but was also not reported stolen.

After an hour speaking with tier 2 support and her manager, they said they would not help me.

I hope by posting here, I can inflame readers who are appalled at Amazon's intrusive big brother control over their device and maybe also find someone knows how to put a working fw on this DX?

I'd also like to see if there are others who have been victimized by Amazon's policies.
Amazon does not suck! It is your totally responsibility to test (or accept if defective) an electronic device that you have bought from any third party vendor. It is common sense! Is like buying a boat without seeing it on the sea 1st.

If you don't want to lose all your money, keep it and use it as a testing device. If the Kindle is working somehow, install a different firmware and try to use it as a mobi ereader only. If not ... forget about it ... and put the issue on the past.

Learn the lesson: "I will test an electronic device before buying, I will test an electronic device before buying"
Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #47
georgiworld
georgiworld began at the beginning.

Device: DX
You guys are nuts.

I have bought everything from a Rolex watch to a Turkish carpet at flea markets. Buyer beware! No question about it.

That does not relieve the manufacturer, in this case Amazon, from standing behind a product that has its name on it.

If you give stores a DEMO model, make it so everyone knows it is a DEMO.

The irony of the posts I have read is that everyone is on Amazon's side but all of you have jailbroken your device.

MANUP
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #48
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have not jailbroken my device. No need to.

I know plenty of folks who have received replacements from Amazon because their Kindle broke. Many of those people were out of warranty or the damage was outside of the warranty (broken screens) and Amazon replaced them without a problem.

I have known folks who have been scammed. It seems many of them bought Kindles that had been reported as stolen from people on Craigslist without knowing that they Kindles were registered as stolen. Amazon has had to tell them, just like it is telling you, that there is nothing that they can do about it. Amazon is not responsible for the criminal actions of others and should not be expected to replace devices that have been illegally sold.

You chose to buy a DX that was at least $200 under market value. That should have been sign one. The DXG is barely a year old. Why would anyone be selling it for around $100?

You chose to buy a Kindle that was drained of power and you could not test. Gee, might that have been sign number two that there was a problem with this sale? No power cord so why didn't the seller take the time to pick up a not all that expensive power cord from an electronic store so he could power his device?

You chose to buy a Kindle that did not have any of the original packaging or cords. Which explains why it is without power but why would the power cord be missing? If the seller honestly owned the device, what was the explanation for no power cords?

You got scammed. You are pissed. You are out $100. Be pissed with the scammer. Be pissed with yourself for not seeing the oh so obvious signs of a scan.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #49
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
The irony of the posts I have read is that everyone is on Amazon's side but all of you have jailbroken your device.

MANUP
You clearly don't even know what irony means, Amazon doesn't even really care about jailbreaking. It has never affected the warranty status or repairs or anything. That said, YOUR post was ironic... You tell us to "manup" when you are the one whining, against all logic, about the fact that you got scammed.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #50
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Quote:
You guys are nuts.

I have bought everything from a Rolex watch to a Turkish carpet at flea markets. Buyer beware! No question about it.

That does not relieve the manufacturer, in this case Amazon, from standing behind a product that has its name on it.

If you give stores a DEMO model, make it so everyone knows it is a DEMO.

MANUP
Your posts are getting more and more irrational.

First off, as everybody else said, it's a demo model. Okay, you say, shouldn't it say that? No, because it was given to the store as a demo model. It was never supposed to leave the store. In fact, by buying it, you're probably committing a felony.

How were you supposed to know? Well, you weren't. That's just how things go. I wouldn't have bought it without making sure it works right first. If you can't test it, then you're trusting the seller that it's all in good working order, and that's your issue.

Amazon does not have to stand behind it because that model was never made to be stood behind. It's made to display images relating to how the real Kindle DX works, not be an e-reader. Asking them to replace it is like buying a low-end computer from somebody and then asking the manufacturer to give you a better one because you thought it was the better one.

As for us jailbreaking our Kindles - that doesn't mean we're going against Amazon. In fact, if we jailbreak our Kindles and they need repairs, they'll still repair it as long as the break wasn't caused by the jailbreak or any installation thereof.
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #51
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
You bought this at a flea market?? Caveat emptor, yo.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #52
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
You guys are nuts.

MANUP
The irony of your post is, not all of us own a Kindle
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #53
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
I have bought everything from a Rolex watch to ... at flea markets.
Try getting it repaired from an official Rolex Dealer

It's like buying Adidas or Puma shoes on a streetmarket in Istanbul - problems with customs at the airport almost guaranteed!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #54
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Talking It's An Alien Conspiracy!!

Alright now, ya'll listen up!

georgiworld is COMPLETELY CORRECT!!! in his statements made in this thread! Amazon SHOULD HAVE stood behind their product NO MATTER WHERE IT CAME FROM!!

The one item he has either overlooked or does not want to mention is that this whole issue is an ALIEN CONSPIRACY!!

Aliens from another world have secretly come to Earth and have shape-shifted to look like human beings. That flea market vendor that underhandedly sold him the DX wasn't human -- it was an ALIEN!! The person he spoke to at Amazon wasn't a human -- it was an ALIEN!!

Aliens are conspiring all over the world with their end goal to disrupt world commerce as well as customer-company relations. This is all a prelude to their causing Earth's economy to collapse.

Once that happens, they intend to infiltrate governments and businesses in order to build that economy back up to profitable levels thus ensuring their successful take over of the world, its businesses and its governments.

Once they have accomplished their goal, they plan on revealing themselves as the ALIENS THEY ARE and forcefully complete the conquest of Earth.

How do I know this is going to happen? BECAUSE THEY HAVE TAKEN ME UP INTO THEIR SPACESHIP!!! While I was captive, they telepathically told me of their plan to conquer the Earth and that I was to warn the citizens of the planet how they were going to accomplish their goal.

For over a year now, I have railed against businesses, governments -- anyone I could get to listen to the horrible events to come but to no avail. NO ONE believes me or my story. It is as if ALL CITIZENS OF EARTH are either too dumb or too naive to understand the implications of their heinous plan.

georgiworld, DON'T GIVE IN to the stupidity of people who are unknownly being duped by these ALIEN IMPOSTERS. Keep fighting... Keep trying to get a HUMAN at Amazon who will listen to your plight... Keep the faith!!

Sooner or later, mankind HAS TO SEE what is happening to it!!

If you'll excuse me, I can see that I'm going to have to pay for this message to the people. They are coming for me aga.....

Last edited by Vandy; 05-18-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #55
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
Alright now, ya'll listen up!

georgiworld is COMPLETELY CORRECT!!! in his statements made in this thread! Amazon SHOULD HAVE stood behind their product NO MATTER WHERE IT CAME FROM!!

The one item he has either overlooked or does not want to mention is that this whole issue is an ALIEN CONSPIRACY!!

Aliens from another world have secretly come to Earth and have shape-shifted to look like human beings. That flea market vendor that underhandedly sold him the DX wasn't human -- it was an ALIEN!! The person he spoke to at Amazon wasn't a human -- it was an ALIEN!!

Aliens are conspiring all over the world with their end goal to disrupt world commerce as well as customer-company relations. This is all a prelude to their causing Earth's economy to collapse.

Once that happens, they intend to infiltrate governments and businesses in order to build that economy back up to profitable levels thus ensuring their successful take over of the world, its businesses and its governments.

Once they have accomplished their goal, they plan on revealing themselves as the ALIENS THEY ARE and forcefully complete the conquest of Earth.

How do I know this is going to happen? BECAUSE THEY HAVE TAKEN ME UP INTO THEIR SPACESHIP!!! While I was captive, they telepathically told me of their plan to conquer the Earth and that I was to warn the citizens of the planet how they were going to accomplish their goal.

For over a year now, I have railed against businesses, governments -- anyone I could get to listen to the horrible events to come but to no avail. NO ONE believes me or my story. It is as if ALL CITIZENS OF EARTH are either too dumb or too naive to understand the implications of their heinous plan.

georgiworld, DON'T GIVE IN to the stupidity of people who are unknownly being duped by these ALIEN IMPOSTERS. Keep fighting... Keep trying to get a HUMAN at Amazon who will listen to your plight... Keep the faith!!

Sooner or later, mankind HAS TO SEE what is happening to it!!

If you'll excuse me, I can see that I'm going to have to pay for this message to the people. They are coming for me aga.....

It all makes sense now. Sorry georgiworld, I guess you're not a edited troll after all. hmm cake?

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 05-18-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #56
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Moderator Notice
Alright, the OP posted his experience with Amazon, and enough has been said in response. Before we get any more name calling - this thread is closed.
Closed Thread