Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #76
The Whether Man
The Whether Man began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
I'm a fan of the Gervase Fen mysteries by Edmund Crispin, and the Lovejoy stories by Jonathan Gash. (Although I'm not too sure if Lovejoy can be classed as a sleuth.)
The Whether Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #77
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whether Man View Post
I'm a fan of the Gervase Fen mysteries by Edmund Crispin, and the Lovejoy stories by Jonathan Gash. (Although I'm not too sure if Lovejoy can be classed as a sleuth.)
OOOOOH, I love Gervase Fen!

After reading 'The Moving Toyshop', I was able to stroll around Oxford as though I'd been there before. I already knew where everything was!

Fun mysteries with interesting characters.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 PM   #78
Simon Wood
Addict
Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simon Wood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My fav sleuths include, but aren't limited to:

Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder.
Chandler's Phil Marlowe.
John D MacDonald's Travis McGee
Robert Crais' Elvis Cole
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:40 AM   #79
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyloey View Post
Need some recommendations:
which authors are good at locked room sleuthing?

By locked room I simply just mean static situations, not necessarily a ROOM e.g. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.
Father Brown is a classic that no one seems to have mentioned.Remember "the Invisible Man"
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #80
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Rose View Post
Anyone read the Karen Rose books, they are a bit graphic and gruesome, but well worth reading. Not sure if you can get them as ebooks, as I read them in pb before I got the Sony.
All her books used to be at Fictionwise . I think Diesel where advertising them last week.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #81
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

Jack Reacher from Lee Child
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole from Robert Crais
And of course, the most of them all Tom Ripley from Patricia Highsmith.

Best,
+1 for Reacher and Cole/Pike. Very different writing styles by the respective authors, but each with great merit.

I have not tried Patricia Highsmith as yet. But I will...

Though his writing is quite leisurely, Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes still has great mystique. The Blue Carbuncle was a highlight of the shorter pieces.

For sheer mood, Charlie Parker from John Connolly is hard to beat, though I am glad my life is dissimilar to his. <smile>

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #82
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
Joe Picket from the CJ BOx Mystery Novels.

From the C.J. Box website,

"When I think of Joe Pickett, I don’t think of an action hero, or a smooth operator, or an actor. I always picture him as he is: a western archetype -- briefly described in the novels only as “lean and of medium height” -- alone in his pickup truck, accompanied by his dog or perhaps his sidekick Nate Romanowski, perched on a mountain under a huge blue sky, contemplating hundreds of miles of raw Wyoming landscape laid out in front of him.

Real world experiences provide the background for Joe Pickett novels. While working on ranches and exploration survey crews, I learned first-hand about the beauty, cruelty, and balance of the natural world. The land itself - the environment - plays a major role in all the Joe Pickett novels. That's because the land in the Rocky Mountain west dominates day-to-day existence. The fight over that land provides the conflict and the stories. This fight has economic, ideological, historical, and theological overtones. It's a serious fight with enormous consequences.

Joe doesn’t enter every fight with an agenda other than to do the right thing. It’s his fatal flaw. Wish him luck."
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #83
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
My very favorite is Miss Marple.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #84
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
There's Eduardo Mendoza's schizophrenic detective - we never learn his name - who figures in 'The Mystery of the Enchanted Crypt' and in "The Olive Labyrinth'. The books are small masterpieces of mystery comedy.

Also from Spain, Manuel Vasquez Montalban's Pepe Carvalho, an ex-communist private eye who keeps himself warm in winter by feeding the fireplace with pages from 'Capital' or 'What is to be Done?' has appeared in a long series of detective novels most of which are well worth looking at.

If you want bangs for bucks, you can get just about everyone from Sherlock Holmes to Maigret in Fruttero and Lucentini's hilarious account of an international conference called to solve the Mystery of Edwin Drood. (The authors have written other crime fictions, but most of them are now out of print, I believe, unless you can read the original Italian.

Last edited by TimMason; 07-07-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Mishplunked apotheosis
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #85
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Aloysius X. L. Pendergast (novels by Lincoln Child & Douglas Preston)
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #86
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Trying to remember the English detective who was also an antiques fanatic and the stories usually revolved around both. He was popular back in the 80's I seem to recall. Can't remember his or the author's name.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #87
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm so glad this thread is still going - it's a great place to get ideas for sampling and choosing new books!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #88
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Quote:
Trying to remember the English detective who was also an antiques fanatic and the stories usually revolved around both. He was popular back in the 80's I seem to recall. Can't remember his or the author's name.
Lovejoy
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #89
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
Lovejoy
Yes! Thanks. Author was Jonathon Gash. Very good series and apparently there's a new one coming out soon
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #90
TimMason
Big Ears

Easy Rawlins. Walter Mosley is first rate.

Last edited by TimMason; 07-08-2010 at 04:30 AM.