Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
But with what kind of DRM? Adobe Adept or something completely new?
Yet another new DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #32
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Cluster View Post
Um most of your complaint is about Amazon using DRM as well and that not allowing you portability. I am sorry but Amazon videos are DRMed just as much as Apple so you cannot get it on the device.
You're missing the point. I can't get the video on the device because Apple won't allow me to run an application that will play it. I can't get DRM-free content directly onto the device because Apple won't allow me to run an application to shop at that store.

The B&N, and Kobo, and Kindle (and etc.) applications exist to do two things:

1) Shop at a non-Apple store.
2) Read (play back) DRMed content purchased from that store.

Apple has a track record of not allowing you to buy from competitors or read/play files encumbered with competitors' DRM. The icing on the cake is that the current default provider of .epub DRM is Adobe, a company that Apple has legendarily bad relations with.

As much as I hope I'm wrong, these things combine to make me think that the chances of seeing apps for competing bookstores is about the same as the chances of seeing apps for competing music or video stores.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #33
Alpha_Cluster
Enthusiast
Alpha_Cluster began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Libre2
So wait let me get this straight you are angry because like every other device out there it prefers it's own dilivery mechanisms? Also what drm free content have you had issuses with? Last I checked if I buy something at the Amazon store that is like an undrmed mp3 iTunes lets me load it
Alpha_Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 AM   #34
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Cluster View Post
So wait let me get this straight you are angry because like every other device out there it prefers it's own dilivery mechanisms?
Angry? Not in the slightest. Just saying that given Apple's has never let people buy media from non-Apple sources or open files encumbered with non-Apple DRM before, I don't particularly expect them to begin doing so now. Which would mean no Stanza, no B&N, no Kobo, no Kindle, and so on (and I wouldn't be shocked if the phone versions swiftly and silently vanish away in a couple of months if the Apple bookstore is available on those devices too).

I might be wrong - hell, I hope I am, I'd dearly love to be proven wrong on this, but I doubt I will be.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #35
Jedai
Jedai began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Sony Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
Just saying that given Apple's has never let people buy media from non-Apple sources or open files encumbered with non-Apple DRM before
"open files encumbered with non-Apple DRM" ? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron ? Apple always allowed you to use content without DRM though, I hope that their iBook will allow one to read epub without DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
, I don't particularly expect them to begin doing so now. Which would mean no Stanza, no B&N, no Kobo, no Kindle, and so on (and I wouldn't be shocked if the phone versions swiftly and silently vanish away in a couple of months if the Apple bookstore is available on those devices too).
I think it is a little bit late to remove those applications now... If Apple had had firm plans for ebooks in place before their apparition I don't doubt they wouldn't have allowed those application in the first place but suppressing them now is liable to give them some really bad press and alienate loyal fans. I can't be sure of course but I think there's a more than equal chance that Apple will continue to allow those applications.

--
Jedaï
Jedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert