Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Which dictionary do you prefer?

I searched the forum but did not spot any thread that asked your preference between the New Oxford American Dictionary and the Oxford Dictionary of English that come with the PRS-900. Sorry if I missed it.

Which one do you prefer and why?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
It depends on the book I'm reading. If I'm reading some new release then I'll use the New Oxford American Dictionary. If I'm reading a classic novel then I'll use the Oxford Dictionary of English.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
The dictionaries look very similar to me - a lot of their content seems to be from the same source (unsurprising since both are Oxford). There are some odd differences, such as the US dictionary thinking that "quarks" can apply both the the sub-atomic particles and the soft cheese, while the UK one only has the plural for the particles.

I prefer the UK one simply because it defaults to British spellings.

One review (I can't recall which) suggested that the US dictionary didn't have all the plurals etc. that the UK one does, but my (limited) testing doesn't bear this out.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Another example that I just noticed is in Hamlet, where he says "in thy orisons be all my sins remember'd". The UK dictionary has "orison" but not "orisons", so initially says "no definition found", while the US dictionary has both, so gets it. I don't understand the logic across the two dictionaries used to include/exclude derviations from root words.

My top tip is: if it says "no definition found" for a plural/past tense verb/etc. tap the dictionary icon and the word comed up by default. Delete the "-s" or "-ed" etc., and the root word may turn up. In this example, tapping the dictionary item then delete makes "orison" appear in the dictionary search window.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote