Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
Katep
Katep began at the beginning.

Device: prs700
which e reader is best for me

ok I am a newbie here and to e readers so forgive any stupid questions what I am looking for is something that can do these things

I read a lot of comics in jpeg format so it would have to read those if possible

also I got to websites with firefox and download stories that are in Firefox Document (.htm) format so would need to be able to read them

also stuff like lit files and Adobe Acrobat Document (.pdf) if they do them also text documents files

also do they allow you to transfer stuff from pc to the reader

Last edited by Katep; 05-13-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Katep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:24 AM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
A Sony 505 or Kindle can read comics converted from .cbr or .cbz format into the reader's format. HTML can be converted for either reader, also. The 505 can read PDF files, while the Kindle cannot. You can transfer from the PC to either reader.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Katep

sounds like a 505 is best then as it ticks most of the boxes when you say

A Sony 505 or Kindle can read comics converted from .cbr or .cbz format into the reader's format

I assume that there is software out there for that or is it in with the reader

also if the 505 does this is it safe to assume that the sony prs 700 would do the same

Last edited by Katep; 05-16-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Everything the 505 can do the 700 can also do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Cybook fits the bill too. However if you're reading comics you might want to be sure that the Cybook/Sony 505 screen size is big enough. The resolution should be ok, but the screen size may make things difficult to see.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katep View Post
sounds like a 505 is best then as it ticks most of the boxes when you say

A Sony 505 or Kindle can read comics converted from .cbr or .cbz format into the reader's format

I assume that there is software out there for that or is it in with the reader

also if the 505 does this is it safe to assume that the sony prs 700 would do the same
I agree, the 505 does tick the most boxes.

There is a program called Calibre (available for free, and developed by one of the forum's own members) that is used to convert .cbr/z to Sony's .lrf format, among others. It's the program many of us use to convert and load books on our readers, it's much more stable, robust and fully featured than the regular Sony software.

Halk makes a good point about screensize. I would reccomend downloading Calibre, converting a .cbr/z file, and then viewing the result. Calibre has a built in reader that will show you what it will look like on a 6" screen. If it seems a bit small, you can put it in landscape mode (sideways) and scroll down through the page.

The 505 and 700 can do the same things as far as displaying ebooks goes, yes. The major difference is the 700 has a touch screen and built in lighting. A lot of us who bought the 505 did so not because we couldn't afford the more expensive 700, but because the touchscreen can kind of obscure the screen a bit, and the lighting isn't all that necessary and wastes battery life. What I'm trying to say is that just because the 700's the 'step up' doesn't make it the better reader. Use them both if you can and see what you like or need. To be honest, I'd spend $359 on a Kindle before I spent $399 on a 700. Again, just my opinion. There are a lot of happy 700 users, so there's no reason you couldn't be one of them.

Last edited by Renaldo; 05-17-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Katep

thanks guys lots of good info I will ask in pc world if I can try out in store the 505 and the 700 while cash will not be a problem that will be best will also try calibre out

on the Firefox Document (.htm) do they have to be converted also and will calibre do that
Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
yes, it needs conversion, and calibre can do that too.

also you might just want to wait for the DX's larger screen if you want a large screen reader, especially if PDF is important to you. also comics are ussuallly large images, so a bigger screen might help there too.

that is unless your looking for portability, I will then suggest the 505 or 700.

If you want a Super clear screen, even in dim Environments to partial shade, get the 505. (the screen is a little too white to read comfortable in full sun I think)

if you want to read in any environment from dark to full sun, or want to annoate your text, or plan on reading a whole lot of pdfs, but don't want the dx, the 700 might be the way to go (faster screen refresh on the 700 makes it much better for reading pdfs that you have to scroll with)

I recommend both to you, the 700 is about 80 bucks more (269 vs 349) you can get a used 505 for about 200, and a used 700 for about 300.

I highly suggest you buy used, saving money is always a good thing.

I also can highly recommend the kindle, but it has a larger footprint which I don't like. the sonys are small
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katep View Post
ok I am a newbie here and to e readers so forgive any stupid questions what I am looking for is something that can do these things

I read a lot of comics in jpeg format so it would have to read those if possible

also I got to websites with firefox and download stories that are in Firefox Document (.htm) format so would need to be able to read them

also stuff like lit files and Adobe Acrobat Document (.pdf) if they do them also text documents files

also do they allow you to transfer stuff from pc to the reader
If your biggest interest in a reader is the comics, you may want to hold off for the Kindle DX or the Sony large format reader. There is the current iRex DR1000, but the price seems to chase most people away. I would recommend finding someone with a 505 or 700 and trying out your comic. I found that even with some of the excellent tools available on MobileRead that the text was just too tiny for me. And I wouldn't want to play with zoom constantly on the 700 to read them either. I think the upcoming 9.7" eInk screens will be fantastic for that and PDF technical manuals. Again, this is a personal preference issue and I'd recommend trying it out yourself. When I say the text was too small, it -was- legible, just very tiny and I couldn't get into it.

Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you!

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Katep

ok I have downloaded calibre tried to convert the jpeg comics with it nothing doing guess I would just put them in cbr/cbz files

did one of the cdz files and tested it on the ldf viewer if that is what it would look like on the 505 700 its ok infact it looked great nice and big text

btw will there ever be a reader with a color screen

Last edited by Katep; 05-18-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I'm not trying to argue against a 6" reader, I have my 505 and love it to death. But I would strongly recommend looking at those ON a perspective device before purchasing. The LRF viewer is an approximation of what is displayed on the device.

Does anyone know if Borders let you bring in your own SD card to text on a 505/700? I guess it is probably store/manager specific, but maybe you could check with one and then bring it with you if you don't know anyone with one. I'd also mark the card in some fashion so they don't think you are stealing it from the store...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
Renaldo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I'm not trying to argue against a 6" reader, I have my 505 and love it to death. But I would strongly recommend looking at those ON a perspective device before purchasing. The LRF viewer is an approximation of what is displayed on the device.

Does anyone know if Borders let you bring in your own SD card to text on a 505/700? I guess it is probably store/manager specific, but maybe you could check with one and then bring it with you if you don't know anyone with one. I'd also mark the card in some fashion so they don't think you are stealing it from the store...

-MJ
I don't know that Borders could stop you. The display I remember at Borders has the readers locked down, but the top open, so you could put cards in it if you wanted to and nobody would probably know. The employees I've seen at Borders never wanted to discuss the Sony's with me when I was looking at them; I think I could've done whatever I wanted to the readers because they were avoiding me like the plague.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To use Calibre to convert comics, use the command line program comics2lrf.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
Katep

truth be told I have never seen a reader in a shop but I admit I have not looked for them before I found out most of my info from online mainly ebay for research the first I had found out about them was a tv show where I live that runs competitions giving away 17 grand of gadgets and a reader is always in there but I have my pc from pc world and its still got the repair guarantee so I can ask one of the tech guys if I can try one

so as you can see big time novice
Old 05-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
Katep

well found one but they would not let me try it out