Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Those three icons for plug-ins

This has puzzled me for a while, ever since FlightCrew became a plug-in. On the right of the "visual" menu bar, there are three icons that can be associated with various plug-ins. What are they supposed to represent? The closest I can come is an oldfashioned flat-iron of the type my mother used to heat on the stove prior to ironing.

Thanks for any enlightenment!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
They're end on view of two pin (copper plated) power plugs, with cable hanging out the back of them.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You know... back when you used to plug stuff in.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wow. I'm glad I asked, because that never would have occurred to me!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Icons can be compact and convenient, but this is yet another example of how they're often far from intuitive :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Icons can be compact and convenient, but this is yet another example of how they're often far from intuitive :-)
I know, right? I mean what a logical leap it is from plug to plugin. And the Tooltip of course is no help. Not to mention the overwhelming one public question from the user-base about what the icons represented.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I know, right? I mean what a logical leap it is from plug to plugin. And the Tooltip of course is no help. Not to mention the overwhelming one public question from the user-base about what the icons represented.
There's no problem. The preset plugins were clearly explained when the feature appeared. And, as you say, there's a Tooltip. But until you just told us, I had never registered the icon as a picture of a plug. I guess I just think verbally. Doubtless everyone else did instantly!

Merry Christmas, and keep up the good work.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I normally run with just the menu bar, I had to show the Tools toolbar to see them. Knowing they weren't Notjohn's mother's flat irons helped me decipher what they were I also saw the icon for Split at cursor, it looks like three TV receivers in a 7's Rugby scrum :lol:

BR
Old 12-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
exaltedwombat
Guru

There's a reasonably widespread icon for Filter that I had to have explained to me. Surely a funnel compresses, mixes... oh, it EXTRACTS. And don't start me on some of the British road signs. Man Opening Umbrella?

Moderator Notice
Image violates MR size restrictions. Removed

Last edited by theducks; 12-16-2016 at 10:06 PM. Reason: removed image in excess of 600px
Old 12-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #10
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
They're end on view of two pin (copper plated) power plugs, with cable hanging out the back of them.

BR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You know... back when you used to plug stuff in.
To be honest, I hadn't lost much sleep over that, but now whenever I run FlightCrew and EpubCheck on a file, my subconscious mind is gonna...
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:39 AM   #11
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
This reminds me (and has almost nothing to do with the OP) --- I remember using some app, where they called them "plugboards", not plug-ins. Drove me crazy, because I felt that a Plug-BOARD would be the RECEIVING end of a Plug-IN
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

These are plugboards - an IBM 407 accounting machine program (or maybe a 1401) and someone's pbx (private branch exchange) sans operators.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-22-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #13
exaltedwombat
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I also saw the icon for Split at cursor, it looks like three TV receivers in a 7's Rugby scrum :lol:

BR
You mean 'Go to the third calculator'? :-)