Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

View Poll Results: Should people be free to necropost?
Yes! Live and let live. 34 79.07%
No! The dead should stay dead. 6 13.95%
Necroposting sounds dirty. Is it dirty? 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #31
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Oh, yeah, that's right. I haven't used the full site much
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
We have something like this in place. When you try to reply to an old thread (90 days or older I believe), you will see a reminder saying:

"Old Thread Warning

This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here."
The problem is, that notice is shown in a way that makes it quite easy to ignore.

Interestingly, one of the similar threads to this thread actually is similar for once: Necroposting and other parascriptias

It has another decent suggestion -- that the same newbie locks which prevent editing posts, I believe (I may be wrong as it has been a while since I was on that level ) should lock people from responding to posts flagged as old.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #33
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The problem is, that notice is shown in a way that makes it quite easy to ignore.
That's true. I guess it depends. If a user has a good reason to reply to an old thread, then I think he should be able to do so (in other words, I am not convinced locking old threads in general would be the best solution). On the other hand, if a user repeatedly replies to old threads (either because he doesn't understand the concept of old versus new threads or because he does it just for fun), then it would be a good idea to message this person directly and ask him politely to consider starting new threads instead.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's true. I guess it depends. If a user has a good reason to reply to an old thread, then I think he should be able to do so (in other words, I am not convinced locking old threads in general would be the best solution). On the other hand, if a user repeatedly replies to old threads (either because he doesn't understand the concept of old versus new threads or because he does it just for fun), then it would be a good idea to message this person directly and ask him politely to consider starting new threads instead.
Well, as far as that warning goes, I think it might work better if it was a popup clickthrough, because I suspect there are people who fail to notice it, strange as that may sound.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #35
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe that if one is using a tool like Tapatalk that there is no necropost warning.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #36
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe that if one is using a tool like Tapatalk that there is no necropost warning.
Didn't even think of Tapatalk. Tapatalk is a headache. Because it is not open source, there is little room for customization. The Tapatalk code is not well written either; we had to make some adjustments that it wouldn't affect the overall performance of the board.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #37
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, as far as that warning goes, I think it might work better if it was a popup clickthrough, because I suspect there are people who fail to notice it, strange as that may sound.
Strange thing is, I thought we had it implemented as a clickthrough warning. I must be getting old.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #38
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Strange thing is, I thought we had it implemented as a clickthrough warning. I must be getting old.
Perhaps I am misremembering, because I don't really find myself trying it out much... I do know that the warning is shown in a box in between the Post Reply button and the message box.

It is possible it shows up both ways, and I have simply forgotten.

Although Tapatalk sounds fun too.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #39
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Didn't even think of Tapatalk. Tapatalk is a headache. Because it is not open source, there is little room for customization. The Tapatalk code is not well written either; we had to make some adjustments that it wouldn't affect the overall performance of the board.
It doesn't show on the mobile site either, though I am sure there are far less users of it
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote