Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
A moment of silence for my dead Kobo Vox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218

Insert 'Kobo Vox' wherever they say parrot. It passed on last night. Screen kind of froze, but managed to get it powered off. However, the three 'buttons' at the bottom have remained lit up. Fully charged when this happened btw. Now it won't turn back on.

Spoke with Kobo tech support this morning. They walked me through a couple of reset attempts - no luck. My incident has been moved up to Tier 2 tech support, so I guess it's serious. Under warranty, so I'll either get a repair or replacement at some point.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? Anyone have any experience with Tier 2 support? What's my wait time looking like?

Meanwhile, back to actual paper books... so cumbersome...
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Kayonaluna
Kayonaluna began at the beginning.

Device: vox and touch
have you got your vox to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaJay View Post

Insert 'Kobo Vox' wherever they say parrot. It passed on last night. Screen kind of froze, but managed to get it powered off. However, the three 'buttons' at the bottom have remained lit up. Fully charged when this happened btw. Now it won't turn back on.

Spoke with Kobo tech support this morning. They walked me through a couple of reset attempts - no luck. My incident has been moved up to Tier 2 tech support, so I guess it's serious. Under warranty, so I'll either get a repair or replacement at some point.

Has this happened to anyone else out there? Anyone have any experience with Tier 2 support? What's my wait time looking like?

Hi, sorry I know you wrote this long time ago but this very thing happened to me just the other day it was plugged in for days and when I went to turn it on it wouldn't turn on. Okay long story short I did the hard reset and the first time it didn't work but you hold the vox long ways and use two fingers for the volume button and your thumb of your right had for the power it worked like almost instantly .. I hope you didn't give up on your vox I love mine
Kayonaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayonaluna View Post
Hi, sorry I know you wrote this long time ago but this very thing happened to me just the other day it was plugged in for days and when I went to turn it on it wouldn't turn on. Okay long story short I did the hard reset and the first time it didn't work but you hold the vox long ways and use two fingers for the volume button and your thumb of your right had for the power it worked like almost instantly .. I hope you didn't give up on your vox I love mine
I think what happened to you is the Sleep-of-Death (SOD) issue, rather than a dead Vox. The issues are different. Normally with SOD if you hold the power button down for 10seconds(I count to 20 cause I generally count too fast) and then release and turn on again, it should work.

There is a fix though that has solved my issue. I'm sure it'll solve yours.

To OP: Sorry to hear you're having such issues. I hope you get a replacement soon!
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Try unplugging the battery then hold the power button for about 30 sec then let it sit with battery unplugged for 5 mins or so. Plug back in and see if it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaJay View Post

GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
LolaJay
Enthusiast
LolaJay began at the beginning.

Well I just got home after being away overnight and the three 'buttons' are no longer lit up. I had unplugged the charger before I left, so I'm wondering if the battery has run down. I've got it charging again now, so I'll try the reset again and see what happens. If no better then I'll try unplugging the battery. Feeling hopeful!!
LolaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #6
tardisrosedalek
tardisrosedalek began at the beginning.

Post Tier 2 Technical Support

Whist suffering a different problem with my Vox, I have had experience with Tier 2 tech support, whist the service they provide is good, it does seem to take them some time to get it done, other than that it should be fine. If you do have to return your Vox to them, the returns department may take a considerable amount of time, I have been told I will receive a replacement, but as to when I should get it I don't know, supposedly dispatched within 24 hours, almost a week later I still don't have it.

I will advise you though that if the problem is something that was outside of your control, INSIST they pay for the cost of returning it to them, as it is quite expensive as they insist insurance for the cost of the Vox is on the shipping. When i returned mine they kept telling me i should pay, but after a few strong ways of putting it, they agreed, offering me two choices, either a pre-paid waybill (something we don't have in the UK) or the cost of shipping refunded on to your Kobo account.

Overall I say Tier 2 Tech Support was better than the returns department (which don't work Saturdays by the way)
tardisrosedalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
valar84
valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox + Wifi
My first Vox died too. It froze, so I shut it off by holding the power button, but after it wouldn't boot ever. I contacted Kobo and they had me do a few things:

1- Hold power and volume up (or down, don't remember which) which launches a factory reset. The reset occurred, but the Vox still wouldn't boot.
2- Battery reset. You have to open the back with your fingernails and press on a button next to the battery DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY, it may void the warranty.

After these two attempts failed, they told me to ship the device back and shipped me another one, which I still have.
valar84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead kobo is dead?, frozen, tier 2