Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #106
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Ooh. I'd been wondering why Fictionwise didn't seem to keep magazine back issues around when the e-book format seems to be perfect for that (still get sales and pay your authors royalties, but not have to keep around a lot of print copies in a warehouse somewhere on the off chance someone wants to fill a story gap).

Now it turns out they've been hiding from me. Or my search-fu skills are inadequate, which is more likely.

Though I think I'll wait to see what FW's anniversary upcoming in May brings in terms of the discount couponage.

Thanks for the tip!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #107
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Ooh. I'd been wondering why Fictionwise didn't seem to keep magazine back issues around when the e-book format seems to be perfect for that (still get sales and pay your authors royalties, but not have to keep around a lot of print copies in a warehouse somewhere on the off chance someone wants to fill a story gap).

Now it turns out they've been hiding from me. Or my search-fu skills are inadequate, which is more likely.

Though I think I'll wait to see what FW's anniversary upcoming in May brings in terms of the discount couponage.

Thanks for the tip!
I think it has to do with the fact that F&SF buys different rights than the Dell Magazines do. They all age off, but the F&SF back issues don't, but if you've been looking for Analog or Asimov's in the past it's no surprise you would have thought they all went away.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #108
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I think it has to do with the fact that F&SF buys different rights than the Dell Magazines do.
Yeah, that would explain it. Too bad; I'd have liked to scoop some old Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine (since the mystery stories tend not to get reprinted nearly as much as the sf/fantasy stuff, which is generally consistently collected in "Year's Best" and anthology volumes if they're good enough).

But if it turns out that smaller press and more independent mags are able to keep their backstock in the FW catalogue, then I'll be happy to expand my collection of their stuff when there's a sale, provided the quality keeps up.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
While there are plenty of people willing to ignore that, that doesn't mean the publisher is still serving the community that Fictionwise did. Saying, "you can still be our customer if you're willing to break laws and/or ignore the contract you agreed to at purchase time" is a bit of a stretch.
I've had an Amazon account before they had eBooks. I've never read an EULA for eBooks on Amazon. Amazon never made me check some box to say I agree to the EULA. They never made me read the EULA. So in my opinion, the EULA is null and void and I was never told it even exists. So, I could easily buy F&SF from Amazon and strip (if need be) and.or convert. But, I will never pay Amazon for any eBook that is exclusive.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Very level headed, very smart, and most of all a very useful and productive post. I will be perusing their back catalog too.
But once the back catalog is all bought, then F&SF will be losing customers and hopefully fold. I do want a message sent that going exclusive with Amazon is not a good business decision.
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #111
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've had an Amazon account before they had eBooks. I've never read an EULA for eBooks on Amazon. Amazon never made me check some box to say I agree to the EULA.
When you download works from their service, you come under the EULA:

Quote:
By using the Kindle, any Reading Application, or any Digital Content, you agree to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. If you do not accept the terms of this Agreement, then you may not use the Kindle, any Reading Application, any Digital Content, or the Service;
Quote:
Upon your download of Digital Content and payment of any applicable fees (including applicable taxes), the Content Provider grants you a non-exclusive right to view, use, and display such Digital Content an unlimited number of times, solely on the Kindle or a Reading Application or as otherwise permitted as part of the Service, solely on the number of Kindles or Other Devices specified in the Kindle Store, and solely for your personal, non-commercial use.
Quote:
Limitations. Unless specifically indicated otherwise, you may not sell, rent, lease, distribute, broadcast, sublicense, or otherwise assign any rights to the Digital Content or any portion of it to any third party, and you may not remove or modify any proprietary notices or labels on the Digital Content. In addition, you may not bypass, modify, defeat, or circumvent security features that protect the Digital Content.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200506200
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #112
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
then F&SF will be losing customers and hopefully fold.
I'd almost never wish for people to lose their jobs and everything else that goes along with a company folding.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #113
RockdaMan
Banned

By the way, Sony's EULA is very similar:

Quote:
BY USING
YOUR PC SOFTWARE, YOU ARE ACCEPTING THE TERMS OF THIS EULA. IF YOU DO NOT
WISH TO ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS EULA, YOU MAY NOT USE THE PC SOFTWARE.
Quote:
Non-Circumvention: You may not bypass, modify, defeat or circumvent any of the functions or protections
of the SOFTWARE or any mechanisms operatively linked to the SOFTWARE.
Quote:
Your continued
use of the SOFTWARE after the effective date of any such notice shall be deemed your agreement to be
bound by such amendment.
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So...eader_eula.pdf
Old 04-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #114
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
But once the back catalog is all bought, then F&SF will be losing customers and hopefully fold. I do want a message sent that going exclusive with Amazon is not a good business decision.
Here's a message for you: I find this notion disgusting. They appear to be making a move in order to remain a viable business. That they should be shat upon for doing so is just awful, especially in the current economic climate. Wish them ill all you like, just keep in mind that all companies are made up of people who need to put food on the table.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #115
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
http://www.cracked.com/article_14990...keysphere.html
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #116
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
...then F&SF will be losing customers and hopefully fold.
Sorry, can't agree with that.

Going Amazon only is a rotten idea and will prevent me ever buying another issue of F&SF but I assume they had their reasons. I don't what they could possibly be but until I know I will give them the benefit of the doubt and just not buy any more.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
When you download works from their service, you come under the EULA:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200506200
I cannot read your message nor click your link. I refuse to read the EULA. I want to be able to say I've never read it.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If F&SF really cared about customers, they'd find a way to get all the other formats out there to the loyal paying customers. Instead they are just dropping all the formats except Mobipocket or AZW. This is unfair to the customers who do not need or want Mobipocket or AZW. This is also unfair to the people who do not wait to pay Amazon for something exclusive. The only way for them to learn not to do exclusivity is to get hit in the wallet.

They don't have to fold to get hit. But they do need to take a financial loss to see that this is bad.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #119
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
I cannot read your message nor click your link. I refuse to read the EULA. I want to be able to say I've never read it.
Doesn't matter. If you acquire, you come under it. If you use, you come under it.

No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #120
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
If F&SF really cared about customers, they'd find a way to get all the other formats out there to the loyal paying customers. Instead they are just dropping all the formats except Mobipocket or AZW. This is unfair to the customers who do not need or want Mobipocket or AZW. This is also unfair to the people who do not wait to pay Amazon for something exclusive. The only way for them to learn not to do exclusivity is to get hit in the wallet.

They don't have to fold to get hit. But they do need to take a financial loss to see that this is bad.
You're being a little childish and mean spirited. There is NO reason to ill wish someone simply because you aren't getting your way.

There are PEOPLE behind this company. PEOPLE with lives and families. You do NOT need this magazine in order to live. No one has denied you anything and you have no rights that were violated. Why on earth would you wish finanical ruin on someone over a tantrum?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote