Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
About safety and report of group saved searches

Hi

I learnt from Kovid Goyal in GitHub quite recently that it is possible to group "saved searches" using a common prefix like [mygroup]. This is handy and flexible.

1 about safety:
Some searches are to be performed on all text files, some other on stylesheets. Is it possible/safe to group them?

2 about report
Would it be possible to get a written report on the result of a "group search"?
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The possibility of a group search gives us a very powerful tool.

I found that I could select easily all the group items by putting the cursor below the last item and dragging upwards to select them. I did not succeed to select all using Ctrl A but I probably have missed something.

But I would have thought that the possibility for the user to obtain a written report on the result of a group search could deserve some answer.

After all, specially when you know that group searches can be performed on different objects (say, all texts or style sheets), it seems that a detailed information report could be useful.

So, I renew my question.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
After performing any search and replace operation you get the ability to see exactly what is changed so I dont know what you mean by "written report". And you can always revert the changes is needed.

And you control what files any given search is performed on at the time of the search. If you are asking if some searches can be marked as "only run oin X filetype" then the answer is no.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
After performing any search and replace operation you get the ability to see exactly what is changed so I dont know what you mean by "written report". And you can always revert the changes is needed.
Sorry to have been unclear. Yes, after one search and replace operation, we get a individual report telling us how many occurrences have been modified.

But if you perform a group search and replace of -say- ten regexes, you get only one cumulative number which means absolutely nothing.

My wish would be to be able to record each individual report (on a kind of table for example) so that I can be sure that everything has been done.

To give an example, here is the group of regex I use with every new EPUB produced by writer2xhtml. Up to now I play them one after another. Most apply for "all text files", one for "style sheet files"
Attached Files
File Type: zip 15mars.json.zip (1.2 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by roger64; 03-16-2017 at 08:11 AM. Reason: report
Old 03-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The cumulative number is the number of replaces by all the searches. Which makes perfect sense since you just performed all the searches.

If you want individual reports perform the searches one by one.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The cumulative number is the number of replaces by all the searches. Which makes perfect sense since you just performed all the searches.

If you want individual reports perform the searches one by one.
Thank you for answering me. I keep thinking that a cumulative number summing up all kinds of totally different items makes no sense. The only thing I could infer from this number is that something happened, which is hardly satisfying. This lack of proper information defeats the purpose of a group search concept.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Thank you for answering me. I keep thinking that a cumulative number summing up all kinds of totally different items makes no sense. The only thing I could infer from this number is that something happened, which is hardly satisfying. This lack of proper information defeats the purpose of a group search concept.
I'll disagree. The reason the searches are grouped together is that they are all to be done together. Hence a single count for all the matches and actions is what I would expect. If I needed more detail or control, I would have run them separately.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:17 AM   #8
roger64
Wizard

It's not the first time I think some count obtained with the Calibre editor does not make "perfect sense" . Some months ago, I was taken aback with the count of a function.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275315

Well, we can live with that or, more precisely, without that.