Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
rrand123
rrand123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre and Kindle Format 8

Hello,
The latest download of Calibre includes experimental conversion to KF8.:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
'calibre can now generate Amazon's new KF8 format MOBI files. To turn on this feature, go to Preferences->Tweaks and click Plugin Tweaks. In the box add: test_mobi_output_type = 'both' calibre will now produce MOBI files that have both the old MOBI format and the new KF8 format in them. To learn more about KF8, see: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000729511 Note that calibre support for KF8 is still experimental and there will likely be bugs.'
----------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried to follow the instructions - but when I do a conversion all I get is one Mobi file - no KF8.

Can anyone tell me (simple terms please) what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Robert
rrand123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
From what I understand of this feature nothing is wrong. The single MOBI file contains both KF8 and MOBI formats inside it, just like the files from Amazon do. Calibre will not create two separate files.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
rrand123

Thank you!!!!

that would explain it - shows how little I know.
Regards,
Robert
Old 04-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
rrand123

File size increased noticably!

I converted one doc. to straight mobi (658 kb) and one with the KF8 plugin and that file was 1.06 meg. So both formats being in the same file would explain that!
Thanks again,
Robert
Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Kwality
Fervent Reader
Kwality began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire HD
I tried this myself and found it to work well. Indeed, when viewing the post conversion mobi file with Calibre's own viewer, I noticed that the book's title had [KF8] next to it in the title bar. A nice touch.
Kwality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
redde
redde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi, When I transfer the MOBI KF8 to my Kindle Touch I can't see the Author Font. If I open the file in Calibre I can see that. I start from an AZW3 file purchased from Amazon.
Thanks
redde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The Kindle Touch has a rather screwed up implementation of a KF8 reader.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
redde

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The Kindle Touch has a rather screwed up implementation of a KF8 reader.
But the original AZW3 is fine on the touch.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then you should open a bug report and attach the original azw3 and describe the problem.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
redde

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Then you should open a bug report and attach the original azw3 and describe the problem.
I can't, the original is DRM protect. I have purchased it from Amazon. I dedrm it and the Kindle non recognize the mobi. I unpacked the mobi, import the epub in Calibre and then in the Kindle and now it recognizes the mobi but without the original font.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

In the KT I believe under the font aA menu is a setting to use or not use the Publishers Font. You might want to play with that setting and/ or renaming the .mobi to .azw3 if it only has a KF8 part.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
redde

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

In the KT I believe under the font aA menu is a setting to use or not use the Publishers Font. You might want to play with that setting and/ or renaming the .mobi to .azw3 if it only has a KF8 part.
Renaming the mobi without DRM as .azw3 is the solution. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
pmorris
pmorris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Calibre, KF8 and Kindle Keyboard with update 3.4

Kovid,

Is there a trick to getting a KF8 file onto my updated Kindle Keyboard? I converted a file from straight .mobi to the "new" format and transferred it to my Kindle. I got an error stating the file could not be opened and if purchased from Amazon, download it again.

I'm confused...

Peter
pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Convert to azw3 not mobi.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
I just want to be perfectly clear here: Calibre's KF8 conversions aren't functional on e-ink devices, only in the calibre viewer? And conversions that contain both MOBI and KF8 will only render MOBI on those devices? But AZW3 has all the same HTML capabilities as KF8?

EDIT:
When I try to sync an AZW3 to my kindle, I get a message from calibre saying that there aren't any recognized formats for my device and that i should convert the file. I'm getting more and more confused.

EDIT2:
If i convert to MOBI, with the old & new formats contained within it, it renders KF8 almost perfectly (minus the .ncx), rendering HTML that the old MOBI couldn't render (such as hanging indents). Color me even more confused.

Last edited by ElMiko; 09-11-2012 at 08:02 PM.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote