Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2011 MobileRead Book Club Vote (Classics)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 4 5.06%
The Iliad by Homer 7 8.86%
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 13 16.46%
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 9 11.39%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 2 2.53%
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 2 2.53%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 12 15.19%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 10 12.66%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 11 13.92%
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #91
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I would like to see one of the following win (They are listed in order as they appear on the poll):

The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

If Lolita wins, and I can find a copy at a reasonable price, then I will read it.

I already own a copy of A Christmas Carol and may or may not read it, should it win; it really depends on how I feel.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #92
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Well I'm REALLY glad Lolita didn't win.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #93
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
A Christmas Carol it is. Bah, humbug. I would have preferred Catch-22 or The Iliad, but it could be worse. At least I won't feel like I need a shower after reading A Christmas Carol.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-26-2011 at 03:43 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #94
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 4 top choices didn't even come close. *sigh*

Well that leaves me to read whatever I want this month, I guess.

I hope to do better next year.

I'm considering making the Book Club part of my reading challenge, as in reading the winner of each month, no matter what.

I know technically I could start that now, but I don't want to make that promise; Christmas is a very emotional time for me.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #95
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Well I'm REALLY glad Lolita didn't win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
A Christmas Carol it is. Bah, humbug. I would have preferred Catch-22 or The Iliad, but it could be worse. At least I won't feel like I need a shower after reading A Christmas Carol.
I honestly believe that most of those votes for Lolita came from Jon fighting so hard against it. At least one person stated as much and it would not surprise me if others chose to follow.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #96
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
A Christmas Carol it is. Bah, humbug.
I'm not surprised by the winner, but I'm happily amazed at second place.

I've already read The Scarlet Letter, Heart of Darkness and Catch-22, so I'm glad none of those won. They are all good books but I'd rather read a new book.

But out of the other seven, I echo Tom's sentiments a bit; A Christmas Carol would have been bottom of my list. Only because I've seen the production countless times and am not sure how much more I will get out of reading it, and because I'm reading another Dickens book too. However, I will be happy to read it; it is a classic and I'll be able to cross it off my list, and it's short. I don't know how much interesting discussion will come of it though.

I like the suggestion of a separate Iliad discussion (it would've been my second choice this month after To The Lighthouse).

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-26-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: "THE" Scarlet Letter, not "A" Scarlet Letter...although "the" scarlet letter was an "A" :p
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #97
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, I will go and try to find my old paper copy of Catch 22 and read that during Christmas break.
A Christmas Carol... no, not for me! Bah, humbug...

Edit: Gave it some thought, and maybe reading it wouldn't be so bad. It's a quick read, and it would be sort of nice to read the original text behind all the various stage/film/cartoon productons.

Last edited by Asawi; 11-26-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #98
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
A Christmas Carol is outstanding. It was second to the last on my list only because I've read it and seen 10,000 variations on it's theme every December.

I've also read The Scarlet Letter, The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd, and The Iliad, but it's been so many years since I've read Homer that I thought it would be nice to read it again and see how my more "mature" self interprets the work.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #99
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I like the suggestion of a separate Iliad discussion (it would've been my second choice this month after To The Lighthouse).
After the holidays, we'll do it. I was glad to see it got 7 votes. Maybe we could do break it up into chunks, six books a week, perhaps, and discuss it as we go along. Perhaps it wouldn't seem so onerous.

I'm also in the Bah, humbug camp. Serious overexposure as I've read it more than once, but I grant the timeliness.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #100
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
After the holidays, we'll do it. I was glad to see it got 7 votes. Maybe we could do break it up into chunks, six books a week, perhaps, and discuss it as we go along. Perhaps it wouldn't seem so onerous.

I'm also in the Bah, humbug camp. Serious overexposure as I've read it more than once, but I grant the timeliness.
Issynbird, would you be willing to start a thread for the Iliad, about a day or two before everyone should start reading it? That way it would gave everyone/anyone who is interested a chance to plan for it.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #101
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm considering making the Book Club part of my reading challenge, as in reading the winner of each month, no matter what.
I am doing this next year. I am doing it with both clubs, so that's 24 books for me, almost half of the 50 that will probably be my goal. The only caveat will be that if a book is ever chosen that I've already read, then I won't read it.

We'll see how long it takes me to finish them all, but my plan is to at least start them all.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #102
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That sounds like a plan. I don't even know how long the Iliad is, but I like your idea of reading and discussing in chunks; could be interesting.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #103
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So it's a Christmas Carol is it? That's actually what I thought would win, though I thought the margin would be much bigger than what it was.

I am surprised at how many votes Lolita received. I guess JSWolf's campaigning really paid off.

Anyway I don't think I will be reading the Christmas Carol. If I participate in the discussion it will be from memory and probably from viewing some film version again. It seems to me that most film adaptions I have seen are fairly faithful to the book and nearly comprehensive. One of my favorite film versions remains this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044008/

Of course some things in the book are sometimes omitted in film adaptions.

Spoiler:
Just off of the top of my head films usually do not include the Spirit of Christmas Present showing Scrooge how sailors at sea are observing Christmas.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
This is my favorite version.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #105
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I'm up for reading and discussing the Iliad. At the moment though there are two books on my next to read list with these followed by the yet unselected books for the afternoon and evening book clubs at my local library. Then there is the The MobileRead Literary Book Club for December (assuming there is one ). So starting the Iliad next year sounds good. I downloaded the Epub version from MR and on my reader it comes out at about 1,100 pages. As far as timing why don't we start with Issybird's suggestion and adjust weekly if needed to keep enough of the group current?

Tags
book club, december 2011, mobileread book club, poll, vote