Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #16
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Font anti-aliasing is about smoothing rough edges of the fonts and has not much to do with contrast, if anything it may make letters less defined by reducing the contrast at the edges.

There is actually an option in the appearance configuration of PocketBook 902 that allows you to choose between non antialiased, antialiased and embolded [sic] text rendering. The first two seem to work fine with EPUB books, Word documents etc., the last one seems to have no noticeable effect on any format.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #17
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Font anti-aliasing is about smoothing rough edges of the fonts and has not much to do with contrast, if anything it may make letters less defined by reducing the contrast at the edges.
Well, depends on how you define the contrast in our context: if contrast means the fact that someone can better distinguish the letter from the background (is what we care the most as a matter of fact) than what I say is true.

Read these in the order given:
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati.../kdesignworks/
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati.../fontrendering
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...than-skin-deep
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/lum_dyn...ast/index.html
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #18
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
@machinogodzilla
It's any difference when you try to do the same you did for the post on 7th Sep 2011 21:52 with the option for non antialiased fonts active ?
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
embolded [sic] text rendering. The first two seem to work fine with EPUB books, Word documents etc., the last one seems to have no noticeable effect on any format.
It would have an effect on fbreader files and others which do not come with embedded fonts.

Check in the settings for how often your device is set to do a full refresh.

configuration/appearance/full page update.

set it to always for that technical pdf and see if it makes a difference for those shaded boxes with text in them.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Dulin's Books is right, this option has no effect on PDFs. As for the refresh setting it has always been set to 'always'.

While I'm writing I will share a bit more of my musings. Before I received the PocketBook 902 I narrowed down the set of devices from which I was going to choose one to keep 'for life' to the following ones: Kindle DX, PocketBook 902/903, or Onyx Boox M series.

Today I discounted one contender, namely Kindle DX, as I got reply from Amazon that they would not tell me if they were planning to release Wi-Fi version of it or not, how nice of them. I want Wi-Fi in my reader for web browsing so this answer means a 'no' to me.

On the other hand I got a prompt reply from a Onyx representative who said (in a much nicer manner) that they were currently working on the issues with their devices (including the most infamous one where some of their readers, as I was told a very small percentage, die after going into standby) and the next update should be released within a month. I found it reassuring enough to give a green light to trying out one of their devices and it is going to be M90. By the way he also said that they would release a new model but you have to wait for it until the next Spring. I would prefer them to iron out the bugs in their existing models rather than shifting their attention to yet another one but what can I do.

For the sake of completeness I will also ask the people at PocketBook (this colour seem to suit it well) what their plans are but if the screen in the Onyx performs better then I think that they have slim chances of winning me over now. In the meantime I keep using my PocketBook in the landscape mode and find it satisfying enough when there is just regular text but these may be my last moments with it...
Old 10-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
machinogodzilla
Addict

This is the reply from PocketBook to my question about the estimate of when I can expect some updates for my 902:

Quote:
PocketBook keeps updating the software for it to be up to the needs and expectations of everyone. Please check our official site http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/news for news und updates.
Maybe the "it" is a different model because I haven't seen any updates since March.

The end of the story is that I got scared by non-screen related issues with Onyx, postponed its purchase and still using my PocketBook. It seems to be the best large ereader option out there at the moment.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #22
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Actually there's a new Beta or even RC out 2.1.2, so they are right in saying they work on their FW.
These version seems to iron out many of the known bugs and missing parts, although it's not yet perfect.
Paola seems quite content with it in her 903 and my 602 works better than ever, so no negative comments from my side.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #23
machinogodzilla
Addict

Thanks for the news! Why they didn't announce it on their website is beyond me...
Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #24
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe because it's not released yet.
Have a look here, the links aer also available in the international section, but there you have to search for yourselves..
Old 10-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
It's a software problem, surely. And the problem is Acrobat reader.

In fact, even on my PC, I find that the rendering of text isn't so good compared to PDF X-change viewer.
Try it on a PDF file, you will see that clearly. The text doesn't look the same and is easier to read on PDF X-change viewer.

I think that somehow the eink screen of Pocketbook only increases this problem, but isn't the real cause of the strange rendering of PDF files.
For example, look on Epub, other format or even some types of PDF files. It's very clear, without problem to read on my Pocketbook!

I wish that they abandoned Acrobat Reader. How good would it be with a Pocketbook version of PDF Xchange viewer !
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #26
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
I wish that they abandoned Acrobat Reader. How good would it be with a Pocketbook version of PDF Xchange viewer !
+1 for that, but I don't know if they still get DRM support without
Old 10-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #27
doublezed
doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.doublezed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Leggo IBS - a.k.a. PocketBook 603
machinogodzilla have you tried to open the pdf with pdfviewer? On my PB 603 it renders darker fonts resulting in a better contrast. Pdfviewer has a "little" bug: if you zoom in you'll be unable to scroll the page
For everything else it got better performance compared to Adobe Viewer, even fit-to-screen is better. Just give it a try.
doublezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #28
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Pdfviewer is largely better! it's quite readable. But without navigation inside the page while zooming, it's a no go for me
Old 10-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #29
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
???
PocketBook keeps updating the software for it to be up to the needs and expectations of everyone. Please check our official site http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/news for news und updates.
???

Everyone's expectations and needs? What a blatant shameless LIE!!....I posted in this forum and the Russian website many times about the "little bug" in pdfviewer (602). The bug is still there after half an year!! I am sure the company representatives/developers saw my requests because they responded in those Russian threads. But none of them have ever answered my question about this "little“ bug. What they care is *03 functions and bookshelves stuff.

pdfview is a major component of their reader and most pdf files need zoom...They don't even take care of their device's basic function -- reading!
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #30
Huyggy
Zealot

The other reason why I don't like and neither use PDFviewer is the speed problem: turning page is quite slow and make the reading not smooth.

@jshzh : I really hope that really good users will succeed in offering to the community a better PDF reader which will meet our expectations here !

Tags
902, contrast, kindle, onyx, pocketbook