Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #16
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fllc View Post
Do not update your voyage to 5.9.* if you want to use any of the MR addons. None of them work yet in anything above 5.8.11.

There are no longer any updates for K4NT.

BTW, JB survives update to 5.9.2.0.1.
Hmm, so https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202048000
agrees, saying 4.1.3 or higher.

My K4NT has been at 4.1.3 since the time of the first required update. This confuses me why my K2 needs to be updated, since it got updated at the same time.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Upgraded my Basic 8th Generation, but didn't see much difference, except now I can play Audible books (which I've never done and probably never will). I was hoping they would revive TTS and include that disable touchscreen feature (for cleaning the screen while reading) but I guess that's designed for Kindles with Page Turn buttons (now that I think about it). Maybe my Kindle is a little "snappier." I don't know. Speed seemed fine before.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-12-2017 at 08:35 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #18
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
I can't update my kindle paperwhite 7th generation. I try to download again the file but I can't press on "update kindle".

EDIT: OK!

Last edited by newday07; 12-12-2017 at 10:49 AM.
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #19
jkingrph
jkingrph began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
I left my newly updated Voyage overnight and it did nothing to repopulate showing the cloud library. This morning I tried a restart and again no action, so I deregistered it from manage content and devices, then did a "factory" reset. That seems to have done the trick as it is now rapidly repopulating.
jkingrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Maybe it was there before, but there is a ‘Pinyin’ feature for learning Chinese.

You can now filter by ‘Comics’.

Mixed results with Bluetooth:
- my LG headset pairs, but playback controls do not work (too bad, I had hoped to use these)
- pairs to Echo, Play/Pause works, ‘Skip ahead’ and ‘Skip Back’ work
- pairs to a couple of other headsets which only have play/pause control

Last edited by tomsem; 12-12-2017 at 12:11 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Great update and just in time for the arrival of my wife'e Oasis 2 (got delivered earlier today). The disable touchscreen option is the best feature ever that we could have asked for. I don't know how many times I found my wife's old Paperwhite in her hand with random stuff highlighted and her already asleep.

When disabling the touchscreen it says to get it back you need to press the power button to put to sleep and wake up again with another press. It also works with opening and closing the cover as it should - just tried it just to be sure. I did not have any problems with losing books or furthest page read on both Oasis 2 as others mentioned.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #22
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Great update and just in time for the arrival of my wife'e Oasis 2 (got delivered earlier today). The disable touchscreen option is the best feature ever that we could have asked for. I don't know how many times I found my wife's old Paperwhite in her hand with random stuff highlighted and her already asleep.

When disabling the touchscreen it says to get it back you need to press the power button to put to sleep and wake up again with another press. It also works with opening and closing the cover as it should - just tried it just to be sure. I did not have any problems with losing books or furthest page read on both Oasis 2 as others mentioned.
Isn't it great? I didn't even know I needed this, but its so nice. I like to put my fingers on the screen, like i used to with paperbooks and older kindles. It also gets me totally in the book. No checking battery, nothing. Just reading. And I can grab it anywhere.

Your wife is not alone with highlighting stuff. I fall asleep reading all the time and have all these highlights in spots i don't remember even reading.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:36 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Isn't it great? I didn't even know I needed this, but its so nice. I like to put my fingers on the screen, like i used to with paperbooks and older kindles. It also gets me totally in the book. No checking battery, nothing. Just reading. And I can grab it anywhere.

Your wife is not alone with highlighting stuff. I fall asleep reading all the time and have all these highlights in spots i don't remember even reading.
Can someone share details about this? How do you enable the setting? And having enabled it, you can only turn pages? And then you have to lock and unlock the screen to do anything else? It sounds rather unpleasant to me...what am I missing?
Old 12-13-2017, 12:16 AM   #24
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Can someone share details about this? How do you enable the setting? And having enabled it, you can only turn pages? And then you have to lock and unlock the screen to do anything else? It sounds rather unpleasant to me...what am I missing?
Yes, correct. What you are missing is convenience.

You enable it in the option menu (...) while a book is open. It completely disables the touchscreen until it gets woke up from sleep again. Only thing that still works is the buttons and the orientation sensor (flipping buttons from left to right is still possible). It becomes a book. No more dictionary, bookmarks, or searching. Freedom to hold it anywhich way you like. Grab it from the flat side, on the screen. Need to look up? No problem, just put your finger or thumb on the page, look up, and go back to reading.

It brings back old memories from paper books. Also old habits. I noticed I tend to play around with how I hold it. No longer necessary to pay attention how to reposition your hand without touching the page. It is quite comfortable to hold it two handed - one hand to be able to use the buttons, other hand just grabbing on to the thin side either on top or bottom (wherever you are not reading at the moment.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, correct. What you are missing is convenience.

You enable it in the option menu (...) while a book is open. It completely disables the touchscreen until it gets woke up from sleep again. Only thing that still works is the buttons and the orientation sensor (flipping buttons from left to right is still possible). It becomes a book. No more dictionary, bookmarks, or searching. Freedom to hold it anywhich way you like. Grab it from the flat side, on the screen. Need to look up? No problem, just put your finger or thumb on the page, look up, and go back to reading.

It brings back old memories from paper books. Also old habits. I noticed I tend to play around with how I hold it. No longer necessary to pay attention how to reposition your hand without touching the page. It is quite comfortable to hold it two handed - one hand to be able to use the buttons, other hand just grabbing on to the thin side either on top or bottom (wherever you are not reading at the moment.
So it is just as weird as I thought.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #26
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
So it is just as weird as I thought.
Depends on what you thought. It takes a little patience to observe what you are doing unconscious. Fidgeting with my book beats biting my nails any day.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #27
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
This disabling the touch screen is an interesting little experiment. The way I hold e-readers is very artificial when compared to the way that I used to hold books. Could be fun to see how I would be holding an e-reader if the screen wasn't interactive while reading. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to ignore the bezels/screen barrier and other subtle cues that encourage you to hold it one way and not another. Even with the screen deactivated those cues are still present as a part of hte devices design.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Nowadays I find holding paper books unnatural and uncomfortable. So it amuses me that people should want an ereader or some other electronic device to resemble a paper book. ‘Look, when I touch the page, nothing happens! Just like a real book!’

I had several non-touchscreen Kindles (still have a couple of them) and now - compared to touchscreen Kindles - they just seem crippled to me. And unlike Oasis 2 with this feature turned on (or as I see it, just about every feature turned off), they are fully functional: they have buttons for everything.

So yes, I am prejudiced. Should someone give me a new Oasis, I promise to give the feature a fair trial.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-13-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #29
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Nowadays I find holding paper books unnatural and uncomfortable. So it amuses me that people should want an ereader or some other electronic device to resemble a paper book. ‘Look, when I touch the page, nothing happens! Just like a real book!’

I had several non-touchscreen Kindles (still have a couple of them) and they just seem crippled to me. And unlike Oasis 2 with this feature turned on (or as I see it, just about every feature turned off), they are fully functional: they have buttons for everything.

So yes, I am prejudiced. Should someone give me a new Oasis, I promise to give the feature a fair trial.
It's an interesting option, though I can't see myself using it as I use the dictionary, highlighting and notes quite a lot.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #30
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

Too bad that they did not implement it on the Voyage too.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware 5.9.2.0.1