Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I've always been a reader. I would have loved an ereader when I was young. As far back as I can remember, at least one book has gone with me everywhere I go. Usually more. Now, it's always an ereader with me no matter what. I love having 300+ books at my fingertips at all times.
This describes me too.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #17
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I've always been a reader. I would have loved an ereader when I was young. As far back as I can remember, at least one book has gone with me everywhere I go. Usually more. Now, it's always an ereader with me no matter what. I love having 300+ books at my fingertips at all times.
This. I remember reading the back of cereal boxes, toothpaste tubes, shampoo bottles...anything with words.

What bugs me is when people say things like, "I like REAL books" as if the book I happen to reading on my Kobo is not a real book. It's the mistaken idea that digital books are somehow a byproduct or simply a fad that bugs me.

Print books are great, if you have the room to store them, the eyes that can easily see the text, and hands that can easily hold them for reading. But I don't need the container to enjoy the contents.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I was younger, when I had my cereal, I was either reading a book or reading the cereal box even though I've already read it. Back then, sometimes the cereal box has puzzles on them that I'd solve over and over.

As for real, eBooks are real books. What makes books real is the content, not the container.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
This. I remember reading the back of cereal boxes, toothpaste tubes, shampoo bottles...anything with words.

What bugs me is when people say things like, "I like REAL books" as if the book I happen to reading on my Kobo is not a real book. It's the mistaken idea that digital books are somehow a byproduct or simply a fad that bugs me.

Print books are great, if you have the room to store them, the eyes that can easily see the text, and hands that can easily hold them for reading. But I don't need the container to enjoy the contents.
Completely agreeing with you.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Yeah. But then even when print books were the only option, people would say "I like REAL books" to imply classics or general fiction books. Not science fiction, westerns, Stephen King or whatever the commenter wanted to look down on.

People always like to see themselves as superior and whatever they don't like is instantly inferior.

Ebooks just give them one more chance.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah. But then even when print books were the only option, people would say "I like REAL books" to imply classics or general fiction books. Not science fiction, westerns, Stephen King or whatever the commenter wanted to look down on.

People always like to see themselves as superior and whatever they don't like is instantly inferior.

Ebooks just give them one more chance.
To which the person that they are interrupting wants to say "fine, then go read a real book".
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
To which the person that they are interrupting wants to say "fine, then go read a real book".
I am usually to busy reading to hear them.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just say it is a real book and keep on reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #24
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I can perfectly understand when someone says something like "I like real books better", and they usually mean "I like paper books better" - and it doesn't bother me. Reading (for pleasure, that is) is an emotional thing, and the things that trigger emotions can be very different for different people. Despite all their good points, e-readers feel and look different from printed paper books.

I switched to reading on an e-reader only about 18 months ago. The heavy reader in my home is my wife, and she adamantly refuses to switch, even though it means a significant proportion of her backpack's weight is made of paper whenever we go on vacation. She did give it a quick try, and didn't like it; I don't press her too much, other than pointing out that *I* am only carrying about as much weight as her lightest book.

As a result, I'm not too surprised that some younger readers make the transition more easily than those who had dozens of years to become emotionally attached to their print books.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
As a result, I'm not too surprised that some younger readers make the transition more easily than those who had dozens of years to become emotionally attached to their print books.
I still have somewhat of an attachment to some of my print books. I need to see books in my house. There isn't a room in my house that doesn't have at least a couple of books. I keep a paperback of Jane Eyre in my car. I need to be able to see books when I look around me.

But I read on my Kobo/iPhone/iPad.

When I feel unsettled in someone's home, I have realized that it is most likely a home without books. I have a tough time understanding the "I don't like to read" mentality. It's not like a person who doesn't like eating fish, who can pick something else to eat.

To broad stroke your life that way...no reading beyond the tv schedule, is just sad. So many genres, unending topics and subject matter. Something should interest everyone...everyone has a brain that can be expanded.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #26
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I was younger, when I had my cereal, I was either reading a book or reading the cereal box even though I've already read it. Back then, sometimes the cereal box has puzzles on them that I'd solve over and over.

As for real, eBooks are real books. What makes books real is the content, not the container.
+1 to all of the above.

People should read in whatever format works for them.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #27
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
I do not now have an ereader (it should be here in two days), but I have had one before, and do read on my laptop. Ereaders are nice, they allow you to carry a lot of books, they are less delicate then books, and I miss mine, which is why I bought this one.
However, I do not intend to let go of my paper books. When I read from a paper book, I am more likely to read the whole book rather than leave it for another one which is a big plus. I like my bookshelves with their 350+ books, I like to physically get a new book, and I like to be able to physically give a book to a friend. Most importantly, when I read from a paper book, I can easily flip back to a part I want to reread, either before going further in the book, or after I finish it.
Anyone who tells you an ereader is every bit as good as a book clearly has not read from or gotten a book recently. There may not be a big difference, but there is one.
My mother is an avid reader, and got me to read The Hobbit at 8. I was too young, I did not actually appreciate it until later. I did appreciate the earlier Harry Potters at that age, though, so I guess it depends on more than just the reader.
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchax View Post
I do not now have an ereader (it should be here in two days), but I have had one before, and do read on my laptop. Ereaders are nice, they allow you to carry a lot of books, they are less delicate then books, and I miss mine, which is why I bought this one.
However, I do not intend to let go of my paper books. When I read from a paper book, I am more likely to read the whole book rather than leave it for another one which is a big plus. I like my bookshelves with their 350+ books, I like to physically get a new book, and I like to be able to physically give a book to a friend. Most importantly, when I read from a paper book, I can easily flip back to a part I want to reread, either before going further in the book, or after I finish it.
Anyone who tells you an ereader is every bit as good as a book clearly has not read from or gotten a book recently. There may not be a big difference, but there is one.
My mother is an avid reader, and got me to read The Hobbit at 8. I was too young, I did not actually appreciate it until later. I did appreciate the earlier Harry Potters at that age, though, so I guess it depends on more than just the reader.
Depends on the book in my opinion.
Craft books paper.
Cookbooks paper.
Reading book what is handy and cheaper.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #29
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
When I read from a paper book, I am more likely to read the whole book rather than leave it for another one which is a big plus.
That's one I haven't actually heard before. Is it because you have paid more for the print book and feel you need to finish it to get value? Is it because you have so many alternatives at your fingertips on an ereader? If the book you are reading has failed to hold your attention you may in fact be better reading something else.

Quote:
In my view an ereader is not every bit as good as a book. It is much much better. And wrong. I have had to again read a print book recently and much prefer an ebook. Incidentally, whilst I can infer from the context that when you say "gotten a book" you are referring to a print book. However, for many if not most of us the term book refers to the content and not the container. As has been said here before, the important thing is that you like to read, irrespective of the format you choose. I lose nothing from you preferring print books, nor do you lose anything by my preference for ebooks. We all have our differing preferences and opinions.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Of course, the problem with that argument is that everyone who has moved exclusively to e-readers at one point read a paper book and then followed it up with an e-book and did not agree with your statement. Unless there has been some recent advance in book technology that we are unaware of
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote