Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Original Paperwhite Firmware Update 5.3.9

I read these forums quite often and haven't seen anything about this here, so I thought I'd post it. I hope it's not a repost.

The original Paperwhite got a firmware update to version 5.3.9 recently.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201064850

It doesn't seem to have much for me, but maybe some others will like the updates:

Hide Reading Progress Option
While reading, tap the bottom left of the screen to switch between four reading progress options, including Location in book, Time left in chapter, Time left in book, and None, which hides your reading progress from the bottom of the screen. To learn more, go to View Your Reading Progress.

Improved PDF Performance
General performance and stability improvements for PDF files.

Improved Homonym Lookup in Chinese and Japanese
When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can view a full list of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed in manually last night and it seems to work just fine. For me it's a bit of a step back as I now have to go through one more click to get back to the reading progress indicator that I want (cycling through none) when it accidentally gets changed. Personally I'd love to have it only have two options -- time left in book, time left in chapter, possibly even on the same line, something like:

6 min/3.5 hours
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Yep...was discussed very briefly here. Average response was that people were unimpressed.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Mine never did update (I left the wifi on for a week or so) and I can't be bothered connecting it to the computer and doing it manually. Unless...

For those that have been running this update for a while now, does it seem to have fixed the bug where the light sometimes doesn't shut off properly?

Thanks,
eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Mine never did update (I left the wifi on for a week or so) and I can't be bothered connecting it to the computer and doing it manually. Unless...

For those that have been running this update for a while now, does it seem to have fixed the bug where the light sometimes doesn't shut off properly?
Hard to say... for me, it takes about week after a reboot for it to happen... since the update does a reboot it'll be a while before we know.
Advert
Old 11-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Fair enough, thanks for the response!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote