Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #46
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Kindle manga model page is here:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/help/cus...deId=201756220

Links look the same as US, maybe they are detecting my region somehow and changeing.:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...te_5.8.9.2.bin

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindledownl...9290002.tar.gz

I don't know what all of this means, maybe @knc1 does:

Code:
Converting update package 'update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.9.2.bin' to 'update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.9.2_converted.tar.gz' (without sig, delete input).
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    2
Cert file      pubprodkey02.pem (Official 2K)
Bundle         FB03 (Fullbin [OTA?, fwo?])
Bundle Type    Recovery V2
Target OTA     3179290002
MD5 Hash       3062a682ee8be705aa6f3f48547a368b
Magic 1        2048630901
Magic 2        1897089723
Minor          1
Platform       Wario
Header Rev     0
Board          Unspecified
Devices        14
Device         Unknown (0x294)
Device         Unknown (0x293)
Device         Unknown (0x270)
Device         Unknown (0x26F)
Device         Unknown (0x26E)
Device         Unknown (0x26D)
Device         Unknown (0x26C)
Device         Unknown (0x26B)
Device         Unknown (0x207)
Device         Unknown (0x206)
Device         Unknown (0x205)
Device         Unknown (0x204)
Device         Unknown (0x202)
Device         Unknown (0x201)
Though I can tell that my 5.8.2 package fgor PW3 does not have Device Id of x293 and x294

Last edited by coplate; 06-09-2017 at 12:35 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:01 AM   #47
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast
Hexadecimal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Now, post the output of:
printenv

Please try to keep in mind that you have a hardware model that has never been seen by anyone who has written prior posts.

I.E: You can't just presume that things like the memory map is the same on your PW3-32 and on the PW3-4.
That includes the memory locations of things like the 'diag' kernel.

= = = =

Please post the Japanese links to both the *.bin update package and the corresponding source code.
I (or somebody) needs to read the u-boot code for your model before you proceed any further.

We can not just assume that your mini-uboot build will run the same as the PW3-4 mini-uboot build!

- - - -

But if it does - -
You load the desired u-boot binary into RAM -
Execute it -
Then run 'Erase All' -
At the end of the erase the entire eMMC (and it does, just 'like new') that command will write a copy of the currently executing uboot (and the saved device specific data) to the erased eMMC.

Translate this:
DO NOT attempt the above steps until somebody has read the source code specific to your model to confirm that your build will behave the same.
uboot > printenv
bootdelay=1
baudrate=115200
loadaddr=0x80800000
rd_loadaddr=(0x80800000 + 0x300000)
bootcmd=bootm 0x41000
failbootcmd=panic
post_hotkeys=0
loglevel=5
bootcmd_diags=bootm 0xE41000
bootcmd_factory=bist halt
bootcmd_fastboot=bist fastboot
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial

Environment size: 277/1020 bytes

Package: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...te_5.8.9.2.bin
Source: https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindledownl...9290002.tar.gz
Hexadecimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Thank you.

That helps verify that the memory map is similar (or the same) as the 4GB touch screen devices.
Note the memory start address of the 'main' and the 'diags' system (still the same).
Also that the names of those two boot commands has remained the same.
(u-boot is scripted, the scripts are stored in these environment variables)

You should expect that it will take our source code readers here some time to read enough of it to determine just what happens during 'erase all'.

= = = =

Since the device will only run using the internal RAM, most likely will have to use iMX-Loader or usb-loader (mostly the same) to communicate with the start-up code stored in the SoC's internal ROM.

Somewhere here is a thread about installing a larger eMMC device.
Being brand new, it had to have all of the environment and u-boot loaded using a lower level application than fastboot.

That thread should give us the directions, which when modified for this situation, will have to be followed.

Last edited by knc1; 06-09-2017 at 08:52 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #49
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=1

Here's one link to what knc1 just described, you will need to try to get all the variables that your idme command is supposed to print I think? Although yours are still stored in non program memory, so I am it sure about that.

@hexadecimal, what is the USB ID of the device if you plug it into your computer now? This is to try to find out if your kindle is falling into USB download mode, like that poster.

When I was working on mine, I used this tool to monitor ish changes.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Last edited by coplate; 06-09-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #50
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post

@hexadecimal, what is the USB ID of the device if you plug it into your computer now? This is to try to find out if your kindle is falling into USB download mode, like that poster.

When I was working on mine, I used this tool to monitor ish changes.

It doesn't make any change or response at all. I'd be glad if it does so...
Old 06-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #51
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - -
This is to try to find out if your kindle is falling into USB download mode, like that poster.
- - - -
That is the thread I had in mind.
I think it is the only one about changing the eMMC device that we have.

And if it does not fail into USB downloader mode - then we could use the manual memory modification command(s) to destroy the installed u-boot so that it does fall into USB downloader mode.
MAYBE - u-boot is stored in a special, hardware protected, memory area.
I am not sure if the u-boot commands are allowed to make changes in that area.
(u-boot in storage is checksum'd all we should have to do is make the checksum fail.)

Last edited by knc1; 06-09-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #52
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:

Here's one link to what knc1 just described, you will need to try to get all the variables that your idme command is supposed to print I think? Although yours are still stored in non program memory, so I am it sure about that.

So... I need to build a new u-boot myself, right?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #53
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexadecimal View Post
So... I need to build a new u-boot myself, right?
Unless you can sweet talk or bribe someone here to do it for you.

Just reading that thread shows that the author had a lot of experience in doing what he is writing about.
So there will probably be things he thought we already knew and did not mention that we will have to work through.

I am pretty sure that we can not substitute the Amazon u-boot build binary, that we have to use one modified as he directs.

Plus whatever support is needed to run the 32Gbyte eMMC that is in your device (that thread only converts from 4Gbyte to 8Gbyte).
But that is one of the reasons I asked for the link to the source code for your model device.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #54
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Unless you can sweet talk or bribe someone here to do it for you.

Just reading that thread shows that the author had a lot of experience in doing what he is writing about.
So there will probably be things he thought we already knew and did not mention that we will have to work through.

I am pretty sure that we can not substitute the Amazon u-boot build binary, that we have to use one modified as he directs.

Plus whatever support is needed to run the 32Gbyte eMMC that is in your device (that thread only converts from 4Gbyte to 8Gbyte).
But that is one of the reasons I asked for the link to the source code for your model device.
Alright.. I got this, luckily with a RPi.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #55
coplate
Guru

I feel like I should have asked this earlier.

What steps did you take thay ended up with it broken. Did you use the normal update your kindle method with a bad update file?

I don't know the official policies about this manga model, but have you tried getting a replacement don Amazon yet?

I thought they came out less than a year ago, so it should still be under warranty, right?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #56
Hexadecimal
Enthusiast

Quote:
What steps did you take thay ended up with it broken. Did you use the normal update your kindle method with a bad update file?
Yes, just as you described.

Quote:
I don't know the official policies about this manga model, but have you tried getting a replacement don Amazon yet?
You see, this is barely imported... I'll have to go to Japan if I want to get an replacement.
Quote:
I thought they came out less than a year ago, so it should still be under warranty, right?
Yes for that point, I think... But now I have already messed it up
Old 06-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #57
coplate
Guru

Quote:

You see, this is barely imported... I'll have to go to Japan if I want to get an replacement.

Yes for that point, I think... But now I have already messed it up
It is probably worth trying regular customer service, and just telling them your symptoms, of using the wrong update, without mentiontinng anything you have done here.

It's possible that they can do a replacement of the manga model, even if they ship it from japan to you, the worst they can say is no, and you are just out about 15 minutes in their chat or on the phone. Best case is they ship you a new one form Japan, and you don't have to do anything.

You could say something like, "I bought it on vacation, but I'm back in the US now ( or wherever you are )"

Last edited by coplate; 06-09-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #58
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
Which is very strange - -
The normal, customer, Amazon update files are 'model locked'.

But we have here a PW3-32 running a PW3-4 u-boot binary.
I.E: The Kindle updater installed the u-boot from a different model PW3 image file.

That **should not** happen with a normal, customer, Amazon update file.
BUT...
It could happen using one of our 'factory, production line test' update files.
Those are not model locked and there is no telling how many places on the 'net they have been copied to.
The O.P. mentions: "bad translation of directions" -
There are a lot of those out there, and most have their own copy of the 'factory initial' files.
Since the site had a "bad translation" - that may include not describing what image file was being provided.

= = = =

Note:
A 'stock' PW3-32 WILL try to install a PW3-4 'factory initial' file.
A reader tried that during the first week of the jail break release and they confirmed it bricked their new device.
That was when I put the bold PW3-32 model warning in the directions.

Last edited by knc1; 06-09-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #59
knc1
Going Viral

Those could be the wrong model links on Amazon.co.jp

= = = =

The starting point for searching the correct files should be:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01FIG3SMC/ref=famstripe_km
That is the device we want the files for.

And in Japan, there is only one download page for both 4Gbyte and 32Gbyte models (it says so in the reading):
https://translate.google.com/transla...Id%3D201756220
or
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/help/cus...deId=201756220

= = = =

As of today (6/9/2017), both the source file and the binary file for the 7th generation, manga model on Amazon.co.jp are identical URLs of the ones for the 7th generation non-manga model on Amazon.com.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...te_5.8.9.2.bin
https://s3.amazonaws.com/kindledownl...9290002.tar.gz

- - - -

Hmm...
Amazon might be doing some fun and games based on the source IP address.
Let me try the same again, only through a Japan proxy service.

Edit:
Nope, those are the same two files people in Tokyo get from Amazon.co.jp

Last edited by knc1; 06-09-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:29 PM   #60
coplate
Guru

I'll check the source when I get home, but I think there's probably a section with configurations based on board I'd. So the 5.8.9.2 uboot probably will work, but obviously no promise on my side.

Because he has the board id value, the build he has it just doesn't support it