Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
sarah11918
Edge User

Is there a way to edit wireless connectivity settings?

Here's my situation:

At our current hotel, I'm trying to connect to a network that appears to broadcast its security setting as 802.1x authentication, but it's actually an open network. (They've recently made changes and obviously don't have it quite right yet.)

It's taken 2 days, but we have finally got our nokia phones to connect by going into the WLAN wizard and manually setting the security to open instead of 802.1x. Hubby's macbook connected fine from the beginning, but our phones, ipod touches, ipad and edge did not. Now we've got the phones online. Is there some way to perform the same manual override on the edge?

Thanks for any ideas!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

Note: our phones displayed the network as secured when scanning for networks, but the edge correctly sees the network as open. At least, it displays the open network icon instead of the locked network icon.

When I attempt to connect, I see nothing happen except my wifi status as disconnected.

On our phones, attempting to connect gave the error message "802.1x authentication error".

it's possible the problem is different on the edge than on the phone, but i'm starting with what worked on the phone. Though, the edge reports the network as open, so I can't be sure it's an authentication error.

Any thought?

Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
keng2000
Edge User

IMO, Only Laptop OSes are ready for 802.1x security protocol type you found in the hotel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1X

Old 10-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Thanks for the wiki link - this is the first I've heard of this new authentication protocol.

Sarah, let us know if Tech Support was able to offer some hints or workarounds. Not sure what they can or need to do to support 802.1x - it may come built-in with Android 2.2.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
sarah11918
Edge User

Thanks for the link. The weird thing is that the IT guy thinks he's removed all trace of any security/authentication from the connection, but it's still broadcasting (and therefore being interpreted by our devices) as 802.1x.

If we can access a setting on our device to look at a particular network and say, "Ignore what it claims to be, and really treat it as an open connection," then we can connect. We have this option on our nokia smartphones but don't apppear to have this option on Apple devices.

Similarly, I can't find such an option on the edge, so until IT guy figures out why the signal is being broadcast as a secure 802.1x connection, it looks like I'm out of rocks. We met him in the lobby coming in from dinner, and we all discussed it a bit. He's thinking of taking every access point offline, then adding back one at a time in case there's an errant access point that is malfunctioning and screwing up everything else.

So to be clear, I'm not actually trying to connect to 802.1x. I'm trying to connect to an open connection that is incorrectly identifying itself as 802.1x. If the edge has a way for me to force it to treat the connection as open, then I'm assuming I can get on, just like I can with my phone.

Since typing on my phone is somewhat slow, I haven't opened a support ticket. Plus, it's not really and edge issue - I'm just wondering if a particular manual configuration option exists. Maybe someone here would be kind enough to direct support to this question and just confirm that there's nothing I can do in this situation?

Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I'm trying to connect to an open connection that is incorrectly identifying itself as 802.1x
That implies the hotel is at fault, and therefore you'll probably have to wait for them to fix it.

I'll open a ticket on your behalf and echo what Support says here.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Tech Support is intrigued by this scenario :/

Here's their suggestion. Go into your Wi-Fi settings. If you see the existing connection, tap and hold it and "Forget Network" if you see the option, and then disconnect. Next, click the "Add Wi-Fi network" item. Enter the network name and leave "Security" as "None", then "Save".

Let us know how that works.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
sarah11918
Edge User

Thanks Boris! Joe just had a d'oh moment for not thinking of that. We're en route to Turkey but will return to that hotel on Saturday. We'll try it out then and I'll report back.

(I had been trying to modify that particular network's settings; didn't think to force add a new one.)