Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Virgin Mobile Offers MiFi Mobile Hotspot Without Contract

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11396

Quote:
3G iPad and iPhone owners may have another alternative for mobile broadband. Virgin Mobile has added the MiFi, a portable cellular router that acts as a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, to its pay-as-you-need-it broadband service. Virgin charges $149.99 for the device without a contract. You can purchase mobile broadband in increments as needed.
Nice option now for those with the wi-fi iPad!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds a bit expensive. "3" offer it for £49.99 (about $65), again without contract. £10 ($15) for 3GB data for a month.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-29-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Typo
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
On option, but the rates are absurd.....

I just tether my iPhone to the iPad for those times I need 3G. I know iPhones as well as Android phones do this pretty easy after hacking......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
On option, but the rates are absurd.....

I just tether my iPhone to the iPad for those times I need 3G. I know iPhones as well as Android phones do this pretty easy after hacking......

Some of us aren't keen on hacking our phones though. This isn't necessarily a bad option.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
Some of us aren't keen on hacking our phones though. This isn't necessarily a bad option.
Why would you need to hack your phone? iPhone tethering is available as a perfectly "legit" option with UK contact (and contract-free) iPhones; is it not available in the US?
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you need to hack your phone? iPhone tethering is available as a perfectly "legit" option with UK contact (and contract-free) iPhones; is it not available in the US?
Only starting this month...and you have to give up your unlimited data plan.
I think I'll pass on it, myself.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And it won't work with the iPhone/iPad combo, since wifi tethering isn't possible with an unhacked iPhone. Only Bluetooth or USB tethering is possible under AT&T's new option.

One can jailbreak their phone and use a program called MyWi to tether using wifi. Otherwise, to stay legit, I suppose I could add tethering for another $20 or so per month, tether my laptop, and use it as a wifi hotspot for the iPad instead. Not exactly practical in my case, but it might work for some.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
jailbreaking these days is pretty painless and easily accomplished on a 3gs (not available for an iphone 4 yet). is it really worth the $220 a year ($20/mo vs $20 for miwi) to not jailbreak?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Is it easy to "undo" again? Eg, if you want to install a firmware update?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
markbond1007
Connoisseur
markbond1007 doesn't littermarkbond1007 doesn't litter

Device: CyBook Gen3, Sony PRS-600
HarryT, yes in fact a firmware update usually just overwrites the "hack"

Mark
markbond1007 is offline   Reply With Quote