Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #46
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Seriously thinking about a Nook at $149.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #47
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The nook also has web surfing, not understanding your post. The wireless connection brings out the same benefits for each the Kindle and the Nook.
The Kindle lets you surf the internet over 3G, the nook does not. The nook browser is WiFi only. I can use the Kindle to check up on email or get directions on google maps on the go. If you don't have a smartphone with a data plan, this is useful. That being said, I think I am moving back to just carrying a smart(ish) phone and not an ereader, phone, and MP3 player. My Walkman Phone has Mobipocket Reader on it, gets me web feeds and email (over WiFi), and lets me listen to music, audiobooks, and podcasts while still fitting easily in a pocket (and not being as fragile as e-ink devices). We'll see whether it ousts my Pocketbook 360.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #48
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Funny. New Kindle $189.00, refurb $219.99
With sales and new lower regular prices, it's easy to find refurb and used readers on ebay, craigslist, etc., where people are asking, and some ignorant people paying, the same or more than they could for the device brand new.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #49
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The refurb prices will drop below $189 for sure, they just haven't had time to pick what price and update yet.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #50
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
If you arent in a hotspot, cant you download an ebook to your phone and transfer it to your nook with the WIFI app?
In theory, it would be possible to generate a wifi hotspot from your Phone if it is equipped properly (i.e., a rooted Android OS device, for example). The problem is that Android devices (such as the nook) do not detect ad hoc WiFi hotspots currently. Your nook would not see the hotspot and thus will not be able to connect.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #51
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm now seriously considering a nook to augment my Asus T91 MT that I use as my main reading device. I love the LCD on the T91 (sorry, don't lynch me!), but the battery life for long trips leaves something to be desired. With a Lyra light, the nook would fill that hole; and at that price point, it is doable.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #52
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
About Amazon's counterattack: can somebody outside the US verify the price drop is global?

Serious blood-letting coming if it is.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #53
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Yeah, I just saw that, fjtorres... I think I LIKE price wars, LOL!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #54
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Yeah, I just saw that, fjtorres... I think I LIKE price wars, LOL!!
Everybody likes a price war...
...unless they're one of the casualties.
And they're coming, sure as the sun came out this morning. (Somewhere.)

But for consumers they can be paralyzingly fun.
Cause of course, now we have to wait for the dust to settle.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #55
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Everybody likes a price war...
...unless they're one of the casualties.
And they're coming, sure as the sun came out this morning. (Somewhere.)
Yep, you'd have to think this doesn't bode well for Kobo, Jet Book and the other smaller company readers.

They've competed largely by being cheaper, and they don't have the deep coffers to be able to take a loss per unit sold like Amazon and B&N can.

As the readers from Sony, Amazon, and B&N get cheap, the smaller companies will likely be priced out of the game.

There aren't enough diehards (like people on this site) who hate DRM and being tied to one store etc. to keep the small companies in business.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #56
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
As the readers from Sony, Amazon, and B&N get cheap, the smaller companies will likely be priced out of the game.
You think Sony can keep up with the ebookstores' discounted hardware?
Some of us are wondering about that:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87784
Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #57
dmaul1114
Wizard

I've posted in that Sony thread a few times already!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

I know. Just in case anybody else wanted to check it out.

I'm just not sure that Sony can keep up with the ebookstores in the dedicated reader wars. Multipurpose, maybe. But in dedicated hardware? Not sure even B&N can keep up if Amazon decides to get down-n-dirty.

Push comes to shove, Amazon could probably afford to go to $49 today if they had supply chain capacity for what that would do to reader sales. And I'm not sure all of PVIs capacity could meet *that* level of demand.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #59
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yep, Amazon definitely has the deepest pockets to take a loss on hardware to get people locked into their store. Sony as a whole has deep pockets, but not in their e-reader division. And their stockholders won't be willing to see shares drop because of the e-book division trying to win a price war with Amazon.

Amazon also has name recognition which helps a ton in marketing. People post all the time bitching about being asked if they're Sony (or other reader) is a Kindle. I've never seen a Kindle owner post about being asked if it was a Sony reader or Nook etc.--though some have posted about being asked if it was an iPad.

If Sony is going to stay in the e-reader/e-book game long term, I think it will be through Tablets/Slates and having their e-books store have an app loaded on them. More likely, I think by 5 years down the road (if not sooner) they're out of the e-book division and focused on tablets and slates and have shut down their e-book store.

That said, I know Sony has a much bigger e-book presence outside the US, so maybe I'm underestimating the sway that has.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #60
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
In theory, it would be possible to generate a wifi hotspot from your Phone if it is equipped properly (i.e., a rooted Android OS device, for example). The problem is that Android devices (such as the nook) do not detect ad hoc WiFi hotspots currently. Your nook would not see the hotspot and thus will not be able to connect.
Evidently there is an Android version 2.2 that creates a wifi access point readable by devices including the nook.

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/index.php?topic=1585.0
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote