Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
dashto
dashto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Battery Meter- Seems to just NOT work...

Folks,

Have a Kobo eReader, white, pre-ordered it from Indigo. Happy with most of the functionality, but for the battery issues.

My meter reads full, until it just stops working. Seems to be no way for me to know what the actual battery level is. If I only partially charge it, the red light won't turn off when I disconnect from the power source. If full charge, the red light seems to turn off when it's done. Seems like something hardware related. Is this something that others are experiencing? And if so, it's this just a firmware related issue?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Ian
dashto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82717

Lots of people have reported various issues with battery capacity and/or faulty capacity readouts on their Kobo's. The only response to this from the Kobo team that I've seen posted is try a reset (dunno if they mean pin in the back reset, or default settings reset through the menu).

I've not, however, read of anyone having your specific problem, where the battery gauge is just stuck at full. But there are plenty of cases of odd red light behavior, so I wouldn't make judgments based on that alone.

Definitely open up a support ticket with Kobo, but all they'll probably tell you is to try a reset, and if that doesn't work go exchange the unit.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
dashto
dashto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Update on this...

...seems that the battery meter does update, but it only updates when i cycle it 'on' and 'off' from the upper button. Not when it's just flipping pages. Anybody else seeing this?
dashto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I experienced the same thing. I decided to not power down and just leave the book I was reading open. The battery stayed consistently at full. Once I did eventually shut it down, the battery showed a quarter left.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashto View Post
...seems that the battery meter does update, but it only updates when i cycle it 'on' and 'off' from the upper button. Not when it's just flipping pages. Anybody else seeing this?
Well - that, explains alot. I was having the same issue with the battery meter remaining at full. I was also leaving my Kobo on, for two reasons, it's not supposed to use up very much power in this state, and also the particular book I am reading seems to take an awefully long time to load. (just that book).

I just tried shutting the Kobo on and then off, and my battery meter went from full to a little more than half.

I really wish Kobo would get on this and clear things up, The documentation on the Kobo really isn`t that detailed and it seems how certian things work or don`t work aren`t really glitches, but more a lack of information from Kobo, particularly in regards to the Battery Meter and the Red Light off the top of my head.

Not to go off topic, but I would like to see Kobo address this and let us know specifically how things work. I think some people are returning or exchanging their Kobo, not because it's not working properly, but just because they have limited information.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Agreed. They should have a support section on the koboreader.com site so that it is more helpful, and less brochure. The FAQ is all canned questions and hasn't been updated since the site launched by the looks of it.

Edit: Found this site which looks somewhat promising.
http://kobo.zendesk.com/forums

They also have a spot to submit support requests and such.

Last edited by RedRoverJ; 05-18-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Updated URL
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

My Kobo doesn't suffer from this problem. I've been checking my battery using the display tab for references sake, and it's been going down just fine as I read.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote