Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Smile Just Got the Nook!! I LOVE IT!!!

I just came back from NYC, took me about 80-90 mins both ways and I got my Nook!!!!! I got it from the Union Square store which had loads of them! The one on Lexington also has Nooks but that's it for the B&N stores which stock Nooks. The sales girl told me the reason why the 2 NYC stores have the Nooks in stock is because they are flagship stores and B&N wanted to probably see how well they sold in NYC first before rolling them out to the rest of the USA.

The girl was so very nice, she opened up the Nook packaging, she was joking about how hard it is to open and she even put on my grapefruit silicon case. She said the B&N workers got NO discount on the Nook which surprised me and annoyed her. She said she can't afford her own Nook but anyway, she showed me a little how to tour of the Nook. I hit a snag when she tried to put Free books on my Nook, my debit card had 3 charges I didn't know about today and that was why it said "unable to connect" when I tried to buy a free ebook despite having a gift card on there too. Later on when I added money to my debit card, I could easily buy free ebooks or any ebook. I was afraid my Nook was defective but all is well. Btw, is there a specific section where all Free ebooks are since she never did show me how to get to them??? I assume there is or do I have to search for each free ebook?

I had already briefly seen a Nook in person at my local B&N but it was very quick since they were closing. Seeing it again, I can honestly say it's the best e-ink display I have ever seen. The background is almost white, def lighter than the Kindle's light grey background. It's WAY lighter than the Sony Daily Edition and makes me wonder how people can even read it. I know some are used to the dark grey on the Sony touch readers but seeing the VERY crisp dark fonts against an almost white background on the Nook is like night and day. There is NO glare! Reading books is heavenly. I could easily read on the bus, even when it was low light I could still read whereas it would be impossible on the Sony touch reader or the Kindle 2. When the bus went through the holland tunnel, I def couldn't read though but the color touchscreen was bright.

I love the color screen! I don't think it's a "gadget" at all like some do. When you are browsing the B&N store and you turn on the covers, it's like browsing through a bookshelf in the store. It's very cool to see the covers but I won't always be doing that since it takes up battery life. I have my touchscreen set on 16% brightness. When the salesgirl set it up for me, it also automatically downloaded the newest update which she was excited about. There isn't much lag for me when I go through the color touchscreen, the lag that I saw on youtube videos is def not on my Nook. Things didn't move as fast as an iphone or ipod touch coverflow but still pretty speedy.

The Nook feels good in my hands, I like the grapefruit silicon cover to protect it. It's not hard to operate or get used to for me. I find it a delightful device and def my very fav e-reader yet. I remember the RCA ebook readers way back in the day so I appreciate how far e-readers have come. I love that it comes with a wall charger piece that you fit onto the included usb and plug it right into the wall. I prefer charging it this way rather than regular USB because it will charge faster. Although the Kindle 2 is a very good e-reader in it's own right, I really am enjoying the Nook SO much more big time. I LOVE this thing!!!!

I have to say, the Sony Daily Edition has the best style factor, large very nice screen but wayyyyyyyy too dark for me. I couldn't bear to look at that screen now that I have been reading on the Nook with it's much better contrast and reading experience. The Kindle 2 is very nice also but just not for me. I don't mind a 6' screen.

It was well worth traveling the distance from Jersey to NYC!! I'm so happy I don't have to wait for shipping and I got my brand new Nook today! I forgot to say that I love the Wifi!!! I am on Wifi right now and not the At&t network although I can easily get a signal. I got a signal all through NYC and NJ in fact. Thanks to the person who posted they were in fact in NYC in another thread and to Mos from Germany who's videos were a factor in me getting the Nook.

Last edited by CandyNJ66; 02-08-2010 at 04:53 PM.
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
tyncam
tyncam began at the beginning.

Congratulations - you can find the "free Books" section on the Barnes & Noble webpage under "ebooks" and right below the best sellers category on the left-hand side of the page ...
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast

Oh yes, I know that but what about on the Nook itself? Is there a Free ebooks section on the device? I sure can't find it.

Thank you though. I did go to the website and got a bunch of interesting free ebooks.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Congrationlations. Yeah, it is a very nice reader. I love it too. Cannot put it down. I wish you a lot of fun with your new reader.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Awesome, thanks for the info! I have been looking for a B&M B&N to purchase the nook as there is no one at home during the daytime to sign for it. Luckily, I am only 3 stops from the subway to the Union Sq store, so I might just stop by after work today to pick it up.

I'm coming from a Sony PRS-700 which I've had for more than a year now. I finally got sick of my eyes automatically migrating to the myriad dust particles stuck behind the touchscreen, not to mention the glare.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
With the WiFi, can you go to, say, kobobooks.com and buy a book?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
TogTogTogTog
TogTogTogTog began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
Btw, is there a specific section where all Free ebooks are since she never did show me how to get to them??? I assume there is or do I have to search for each free ebook?
Your best bet is to search for '0.00' on the B&N store (Thats the price of the ebooks) or 'free' depending on some of the stores.
TogTogTogTog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
evan2000
evan2000 began at the beginning.

Hi CandyNJ66, If your new Nook did not come with the new OS. Upgrade it NOW. It's a lot better and most of all battery life is much better. At least for me.
evan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
After two days with the Sony Daily Edition, I just ordered a Nook. The screen was killing me even though I like the functionality. I suppose a touchscreen is not that important to me and, combined with the fact there was no WiFi on it, I decided to bite the bullet. I'll return the PRS-900 this weekend when I get home from my trip.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
Oh yes, I know that but what about on the Nook itself? Is there a Free ebooks section on the device? I sure can't find it.

Thank you though. I did go to the website and got a bunch of interesting free ebooks.
And have you looked at the free books available here? Over 15,000 so far....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
They indeed had a ton in stock @ Union Square. Thank you, CandyNJ66! Already updated to 1.2 and transferred all my books over.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan2000 View Post
Hi CandyNJ66, If your new Nook did not come with the new OS. Upgrade it NOW. It's a lot better and most of all battery life is much better. At least for me.
It updated right after the girl set up my account so I do indeed have the new update.

Last edited by CandyNJ66; 02-08-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
They indeed had a ton in stock @ Union Square. Thank you, CandyNJ66! Already updated to 1.2 and transferred all my books over.
I'm happy for you!! Enjoy
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
lindaloruss
lindaloruss began at the beginning.

Free books on B&N Nook

In shop, do a search for "$0.00" to find free books. Have fun!
lindaloruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info! I have been looking for a B&M B&N to purchase the nook as there is no one at home during the daytime to sign for it. Luckily, I am only 3 stops from the subway to the Union Sq store, so I might just stop by after work today to pick it up.

I'm coming from a Sony PRS-700 which I've had for more than a year now. I finally got sick of my eyes automatically migrating to the myriad dust particles stuck behind the touchscreen, not to mention the glare.
I bought it at Bestbuy in the city, so check out the stores if B&Ns are out.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote