Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
SmartQ 7 Full Review (Warning - many pictures)

Dedicated to Chippy from UMPCPortal.com and Nate the Great from MobileRead.com – without their contributions this review would not have been possible.

Review updated with smaller images - click image for fullsize view

SmartQ 7 with custom desktop background - click for fullsize

Introduction

I received my SmartQ 7 Mobile Internet Tablet a few days ago. Since that time, I’ve been playing with different features of the stock operating system and using it as an eBook reader. This review is designed as an introduction to the device for people who might want to use it as an eBook reader or internet tablet. For those of you that want to read the story that led me to purchase this device and learn the company I purchased it from, click here. This device will not replace your laptop or UMPC. If you are familiar with the Nokia N770/800/810 Internet Tablets, then you have a very good idea what this device can do. It is definitely faster than the Nokia tablets, but the operating system is not as good as Maemo (Linux-based OS included with Nokia tablets). We will talk more about the OS and improving it later in this review, but let’s take a closer look at this unit’s specifications.

Specifications:

Processor: Samsung ARM S3C6410 Processor 667MHz
Screen size: 7-inch Touch-lens screen,800 X480 pixels
Memory: 128MB DDR RAM
Storage: 1GB Flash Memory
Operating System: Ubuntu Linux
Language: Chinese/English/German/French/Portuguese
Memory card slot supporting up to 32GB SD memory cards
Wireless: supports WiFi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth
Connectivity: 2.0 USB HOST x 2 (USB x 1 & miniUSB x1) supported to connect the high-speed EDGE, HSDPA network adapter or mobile phone
Dimensions: 200 x 120 x 24mm
Weight: 480g
Battery: 4500mAH
Warranty: One year
Manufactured by a Chinese company called “SmartDevices” (http://www.smartdevices.com.cn)

For eBook reading fans and Internet Tablet aficionados, there is the 7-inch touch-screen supporting 800x480 resolution. For those of us who want an LCD device for backlit reading, this screen offers a size comparable to an eBookwise-1150 with about the same width and a little more height. Interestingly enough, the device is lighter than an eBookwise-1150 and very easy to hold. It has the same amount of RAM as the latest Nokia N810 Tablet (128MB DDR) but has quite a bit more available flash memory (1GB instead of the 810’s 256MB). The battery included in this device is quite good, with a 4500mAH, it is supposed to last for 24 hours of continuous music play (with the screen off). I haven’t completely tested battery life, and will discuss it later in the review, but let’s just say I’m very happy. It certainly isn’t e-Ink, but for an LCD device it lasts a very long time. One final thing I want to note is that the Bluetooth isn’t built into the device, and requires the use of the dongle (pictured) which plugs into the unit’s standard USB port.

The 7” Screen

SmartQ 7 with a Nokia N770

SmartQ 7 with an iPod Touch 16GB

I’m sure many of you are interested in the quality of the screen as well as comparisons to other devices. In my opinion, this screen size is perfect for those who want a paperback-size LCD reading device. The quality is about the same as the Nokia N770/800/810 tablets. It is not transreflective, and isn’t designed to be used in direct sunlight. If you are looking for a device to use in very good lighting situations (outside), this might not be the one for you. If you read indoors or with very low to no light, well this is just great! I have posted screenshots to compare it to some other devices I own.

SmartQ 7 with Nokia N770 and iPod Touch Screen On

Battery Life

When I received the device it was charged to about 80% capacity. I charged it to full before I used it and used it for 8 hours straight while reading ebooks and surfing the internet and I still had 25% battery life left. In comparison, if I listened to music or surfed the web on my Nokia N770 I would survive for perhaps 5 hours at best, likely less than that. I could definitely spend time to get more accurate results for battery life, but I wanted to get the rest of this information to you folks. I will say that the battery indicator for the default OS is really not very good. It seems to indicate battery life in 25% slices (0, 25, 50, 75, and 100%). Hopefully, this will be improved in an updated release of the OS. There is no easy access for replacing the battery, unless you take the device completely apart. This could be a negative for some folks, and hopefully can be improved in a future model.

The Default Operating System

One of the nice things about this device is that the included OS is a version of Ubuntu Linux. What that really means is this device is very hackable, much like the Nokia tablets. Currently, the Mer team (a version of Linux based on the popular Maemo OS for Nokia tablets) is working on a version that will work on this device. This could mean access to most Maemo applications and better support for the hardware itself, such as better video and audio performance. Also, SmartDevices has announced they will make a version of WinCE 6.0 available for users of this device at a later date. This really gives eBook reading users an advantage, as there are some applications for WinCE that will allow DRM-ed ebooks to be viewed on the device. More on using the device as an eBook reader in a moment, but let me cover some basic information about the OS.

SmartQ 7 Default OS Information So Far:

English translation is not 100% complete – many areas of the user interface are still in Chinese. I have the most problem setting date and time. (Update: New firmware 3.0 supports far more English than the shipped version does – see upgrading firmware)

Default font isn’t very nice, but device ships with others that are better and it can be changed
Single-tap launches applications and features (not double-tap as some devices)
Battery Indicator isn’t very good
Novice Linux users may have problems setting up certain features (wireless)
Some bugs exist – example: changing the default font and font size causes a couple application icons to disappear
Launching applications can be slightly delayed (touch sensitivity?)
Web-browsing faster than on Nokia tablets
New 3.0 Firmware has many improvements

SmartQ 7 SD Slot

There is a thin plastic stand built into the back of the device that I have found useful many times. Users should use caution when this stand is out, as it could be very easy to snap this plastic by accident (perhaps dropping something on the device when it is in stand-mode). The device has a standard-sized SD slot on the bottom with a rubber flap that covers it. This flap seems to stay in place, but it doesn’t fit perfectly. Still, it hasn’t given me many problems. Inserting the SD card can be tricky, as it clicks in a little deeper than the tip of your finger can push it. It might be good to use the dull end of the stylus to make sure your SD card clicks into its slot correctly if you are having trouble with just your finger.

The Reset Button is your friend!

Another item I would like to mention is the stylus. It feels cheap and seems a little sharp on the pointy-end. I would recommend picking up a different stylus or using your finger instead. All the other ports on the device work fine for me. It acts as a USB Host and I’ve connected USB drives to the unit and they have worked quite well.

Buttons on the face of the device

Ports on the device

Buttons on the top of the device

The Device as an eBook Reader

Well obviously, many of you want to know how good it works as an eBook reader. I can safely say this device is fantastic as en eBook reader of non-DRM’ed eBooks. That is not to say it won’t be fantastic for DRM’ed books – it appears we will have Mobipocket support in the near future with the introduction of a legal version of WinCE that will work on the device. I’m currently testing using a remote desktop application to use desktop reading software to read DRM’ed books and will keep everyone updated in a different thread.

SmartQ 7 Custom FBReader Settings

SmartQ 7 with a paperback book

The eBook reading software included with this device is FBreader version 0.8.17 (if you are using firmware 3.0). It supports many good formats (HTM, EPUB, TXT, RTF, Fb2, non-DRM Mobipocket, others) and the screen can support many customizations. As you can see from my screenshots, I changed the background to black and the text to white. This gives off less light for me when I read in bed so as not to disturb my wife. I’ve also rotated the screen (in the screenshot it is rotated clockwise), and as you can see the buttons are comfortably located along the bottom. Going full screen is as easy as pressing the function button (button on the face with the picture of a document on it and separated from the +/- buttons). Going back and forward is as simple as clicking the + (plus) or – (minus) button on the face of the device.

For the price point, this device very well could be the best deal in LCD devices. Because of its multi-function abilities, it can clearly stand before devices with a single function to read books. It also has a very good battery life for LCD. It will be interesting to see how the SmartQ 7 e-Reading functionality grows as software and user support grows.

Viewing/Reading PDF Format Files

SmartQ 7 PDF Viewer 1

As demonstrated in my comic application thread, you can read comics very nicely on this device, so that should give you an indication of how PDF files look. The Evince PDF Viewer application seems to display PDF files quite nicely, but there is also room for improvement. I’ve included two screenshots of reading a PDF eBook on this device in landscape mode. You can definitely rotate PDF files into portrait view, but I found that eBook pages didn’t fit as well and were a little harder to read (a page of full text). I’m definitely going to watch for improvements in PDF handling on this device and will keep forum members updated as I find new information.

SmartQ 7 PDF Viewer 2

Browsing the Internet

The SmartQ 7 ships with the Midori browser installed. I’m quite surprised at the speed at which it loads pages, it is clearly faster than either my iPod Touch or my Nokia N770. There is no flash support at this time, but otherwise it seems to render pages quite well. For an armchair browser, it should function quite nicely. We can also expect even better performance when Mer is released and we can use Tear for browsing. I hear there is even a method to get flash working, although the method should only be used by advanced Linux users at this time. Considering most of us at Mobileread will use the device for reading comics, documents and eBooks, the internet features are a real plus, even if they aren’t as powerful as your laptop or UMPC would be.

How Does The Audio Sound?

The newer 3.0 firmware includes Sonata as the audio player. It is clearly an improvement over the previous player (Audacious). It supports tags, album art and playlists quite well (as demonstrated in the screenshots). There is definitely work that needs to be done on the driver or codec for this firmware though. I find that when I try to increase the volume, there is a large jump from one setting to the next, resulting in either a bit loud or just a little soft for my tastes. You can read eBooks and listen to music quite nicely with the device and when the improvements are made to the drivers it should really sound fantastic.

SmartQ 7 Audio 1

SmartQ 7 Audio 2

Video Support

I must say that this is sadly where the performance of this device is lacking the most. The funny thing is, it isn’t the hardware that is causing the problems, its just that the OS isn’t nearly as optimized as it could be to play video. The hardware is quite capable of 800x480 fullscreen with 30fps. I’m quite sure this will be improved with newer firmware, WinCE, and for sure with Mer. Right now, it looks to be running at less than 20fps for a standard DivX AVI file. This won’t be replacing your PMP until they optimize it. Even then, there are many devices far better at playing video (and audio for that matter) than this one.

SmartQ 7 Video Example

“My Son, ask for thyself another kingdom for that which I leave is too small for thee.” - King Phillip to Alexander the Great. Also known as “Memory Expansion”

The flash memory included is only 1GB for storage. The device supports up to 32GB SDHC cards using the standard SD slot. It seems to read all SDHC cards just fine, but there seems to be problems with the OS and installing new software (as mentioned in another post located here) with some SDHC brands. My advice is to have a standard 1-2GB SD card (my Sandisk is working perfectly) to run firmware updates. Also, some folks have indicted 16GB cards have the problems less frequently than their larger brothers.

Mer - Linux OS

Another great aspect of this device is the fact that SmartDevices (the unit’s creator) is working closely with the Mer team. Source hardware and software information has been given to the team to help release a very nice version of Mer more quickly. I’ve chatted with stskeeps, lead developer of the Mer project, and he has indicated that things are coming along quite nicely. I’ve also loaded version 0.14 of the Mer OS – and I’m quite the opposite of a Linux expert. What I saw was a snappy quick, well-built OS that screamed to be used on this device. The wireless setup was so nice, and the OS loaded very fast on my device. I’ll be helping the Mer team do more tests on the device over time and will keep everyone updated.
What is Mer? Check it out for yourself, by clicking here.

Conclusion

Thank you very much for reading through this review. I hope that I did my part to help build our new SmartQ community here at Mobileread. My opinion so far is that the device is a very good buy and will surprise many of you at how good of a reader it is. Multifunction devices are becoming more and more popular. Manufacturers are also starting to realize not all of us want to carry around 3” screen-sized devices to read or listen to music on. There is a market for this device, and that market is growing. Smartdevices can really make an impact on this market with the SmartQ 7. In my opinion, they should release the device with the user’s choice of OS already installed (Linux or WinCE). They should improve the stylus and button quality a bit and sell a case for holding the device. They should work hard at improving audio and video performance. Most of all, they should continue to make innovative devices in this form factor for people who want to read, listen to music, surf the web, and watch movies.

Kiba has stolen the SmartQ 7

Regards,
ColdSun

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-16-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Fixed links
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Chippy
Enthusiast
Chippy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Various UMPCs
Great review Coldsun. I'm just staring to test firmware V3 although I see that it still has the olde V8 version of FBreader. Shame.

Mer has potential but is a long way away from production standard yet as far as I can see.

The Q7 and devices like it are going to be the future of casual e-reading. Either from local files or from the internet.

Regards
Chippy.
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I've seen rumors on the chinese messageboards indicating that FBReader 10 may be included in the next firmware version. Cross your fingers.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I want one! But I want Win CE. I agree with your conclusions. If in the future Win CE will work on it, and they improve the stylus, I'll get in line.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
This is wildly off-topic, but I love Fair To Midland and Fables From a Mayfly is a great album.
Nice review too.
Thank you.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Awesome review, cool device. I'm hoping they could eventually get a Pixel Qi screen in something like this and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Good Stuff
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardwillie View Post
Awesome review, cool device. I'm hoping they could eventually get a Pixel Qi screen in something like this and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Good Stuff
Willie, I'm right with you on that! My husband took a look at this and insists that WinCE on it would half the battery life . But combine WinCE and a PixelQi screen....and it might meet in the middle, at least.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Excellent review. Thank you very much. Mine is with customs right now. Can't wait.
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Thank you for all your detailed reviews! Each portion you review, comics reading to all the details in this review, make me more sure that this is the way to go!

Until Sony gets a Pixel Qi screen on a PRS 700...

Again, thank you for your fantastically informative review!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Video related: if you'd like an SMplayer in English (mine was in Chinese):

Open /home/user/.config/smplayer/smplayer.ini with leafpad.

change language=zh_CN to language=en_US or whatever version of english you prefer. It's about 3/4 of the way down, under the [gui] section. Restart smplayer if it's running.

m a r

ps: we really need a more central place to discuss this thing!
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
GuillaumeJay
Enthusiast
GuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-booksGuillaumeJay has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1
I'm now nearly sure than when my axim pda stopped working monday, I should not have rushed on ebay to buy another one.

thanks for the review. The best thing with this device is that it seems it's well supported officially and un-officially. That's great.
GuillaumeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Benign
Benign began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi:
Will SmartDevice release a Mer version? If yes, do you know when? I am planning to order one device and I prefer to use Mer surely (due to good reviews I read about Mer). Should I hold it and not order? Will it be available soon?
Thanks
Benign
Benign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I wonder how (why) the post on this device took up the entire front page. No other gadget got this kind of space on this site.

It also managed to screw up the front page pretty well, with the oversized pictures.

As for the device: it is not eink, so I could not care less.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Hmm,
while looking at the manufacturer, I discovered the following device:

http://www.eletroworld.cn/nb/A700.htm

Features

Processor: MIPS 500 MHz 32bit CPU

Screen size: 8.9-inch TFT, True Color, 1024 X600 pixels

Memory: 128MB DDR2 RAM

Storage: 2GB NAND Flash Memory

Operating System: Linux

Language: Chinese/English/German/French/Portuguese

Memory card slot supporting up to 32GB SD memory cards (support SDHC)

Wireless: supports WiFi 802.11b/g

Media Support: MPEG1/2/4,H.263,H.264,WMV9,RMVB

Audio: Build in Speaker & Microphone

Interface: 2×USB, 1×Mic-in, 1×Headphone-out, 1×Build in SD Card Reader

Weight: 720g

Color: Black

Battery: 5500mAH Lithium batteries

AC Power: 100~240V 5V

Warranty: One year

Shouldn't the larger and higher res screen as well as the larger battery not make it a better reader?

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #15
valkyriesound
Connoisseur
valkyriesound doesn't littervalkyriesound doesn't litter

Any idea where to purchase these yet? Price?
How easy is it to set up comics for a newbie?

Thanks!
valkyriesound is offline   Reply With Quote