Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #1
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Bye-bye Kindle, E-reader Screens Coming for Netbooks

From pcworld

"Netbook makers will soon play a larger role in the e-reader market if start-up Pixel Qi has anything to say about it.

The company, founded by former One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) CTO Mary Lou Jepsen, will show off engineering samples of its first screen product at Computex Taipei 2009 next week, and IDG News Service was able to catch a first look on Friday.

The first Pixel Qi product, called 3qi, is a 10.1-inch netbook screen designed to work in three modes: a black-and-white e-ink mode for reading text documents and e-books, and two color modes, designed for use indoors or in bright sunlight, that are more suitable for Web surfing and video playback.

E-ink mode extends battery life by shutting off the backlight, and is intended for reading e-books, documents, Web sites or blogs and other text-based material.

The screens should be in netbooks and on store shelves by the end of this year, said Jepsen. Giving netbooks new screens capable of making them e-readers could make them compelling holiday presents, for price and functionality alone."
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Hmm...one thing I like about dedicated ebook devices is that it doesn't come with the heft and size that full laptops do. I often don't carry my laptop with me because I don't need it.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #3
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
Hmm...one thing I like about dedicated ebook devices is that it doesn't come with the heft and size that full laptops do. I often don't carry my laptop with me because I don't need it.
Same here. I'm amazed that it took manufacturers so long to realize that there was a market for netbooks with an XO type screen.
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
The last thing I want for an ebook reader is a clamshell device with an almost full size keyboard and widescreen display.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Could the writers of this article have picked a more biased title? Or be more ignorant of the technology? (eink =/= epaper!!!!)

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-31-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
The last thing I want for an ebook reader is a clamshell device with an almost full size keyboard and widescreen display.
This might make up for the size a bit when reading
Quote:
New netbooks designed to include e-reader functions will likely have displays that can swivel around to cover the keyboard, a tablet mode good for an e-book reader, said John Ryan, chief operating officer at Pixel Qi.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Could the writers of this article have picked a more biased title? Or be more ignorant of the technology? (eink =/= epaper!!!!)
Time for hate mail!

But seriously, while I think this would offer stiffer competition, it still does not Netbooks into a device like the dedicated readers (small, light, long battery life). I think Netbooks like this are great, but it won't kill the dedicated readers, yet.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
I have been using my netbook to read books for over a year, and also use my old reliable Ipaq 4700. The things I like about the netbook is that you do not have to hold it to read, and I can read any format - DRM or not.

However, I do not see it as replacing a dedicated e-book reader - I see it as supplementing one.

As soon as Ez-Reader comes out with their firmware supporting Adobe Digital and Ereader DRM I will be buying one.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
Hmm sounds like a nice idea of a tri-state screen. Depending on price and hardware might get one for general use.
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:42 AM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Hmm sounds like a nice idea of a tri-state screen. Depending on price and hardware might get one for general use.
well cost of netbooks are currently at about 250 bucks, with this screen it can go as high as 400 to 450 to begin with. but it sounds like a seriously good thing.

also this article has been posted in alot of threads already
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 AM   #11
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Personally I dislike laptops, and netbooks were more of the same ilk.

With the exception of portability, desktop computers do better than a laptop. On rare occasions though I would have liked to have my computer available someplace other than my home.

As I've gotten further into ebooks I've started to pay more attention to netbooks. They're fairly lightweight, moderately compact (for a laptop) without trying to be everything to everyone. They are also about the same price as a dedicated ereader. To me it is a slightly more cost effective purchase. I get to have a laptop in the rare circumstances that I need one while having space for a good portion of my library in a thick, kinda awkwardly heavy "book" - with a weird binding.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Personally I dislike laptops, and netbooks were more of the same ilk.

With the exception of portability, desktop computers do better than a laptop. On rare occasions though I would have liked to have my computer available someplace other than my home.

As I've gotten further into ebooks I've started to pay more attention to netbooks. They're fairly lightweight, moderately compact (for a laptop) without trying to be everything to everyone. They are also about the same price as a dedicated ereader. To me it is a slightly more cost effective purchase. I get to have a laptop in the rare circumstances that I need one while having space for a good portion of my library in a thick, kinda awkwardly heavy "book" - with a weird binding.
watch it though, after about 6 months reading on my EEE 7" I got eyestrain troubles, and I was 19 with perfect 20/20 vision (or better) but defenatly try it out.

also, my custom built, $1700 pc, was built 3 years ago, has a amd 3700 and 1 gig of ram, and had a $300 video card.

my current laptop cost me $555 bucks, has a vid card that's better than that, dual core, and has 4 gigs of ram. PC's in this price point cost about the same or MORE. so I got a laptop. I only need a PC to be attached to my TV, which that 3 year old beast is perfect for, now I have a laptop, that was cheap, its fast. its better, and if I wanted to play a game, the vid card on it can handle it. but Ive went back to my PS2, such a great backlog of games + DDR which I'm using for exercise. don't knock a cheap laptop, they are good, and for when you need the portability, which I admit, for me isn't often. its there. Netbooks are great, but very limited and I never used mine much. though I can see myself using a 10 or 12 inch netbook full time as they have about the same specs as the computer I was used to. I don't think I used my EEE much cause it had Linux, and was just a pain to do much on.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
I only use my 701 for when I need to... I prefer a big display with a normal resolution and big font size to reduce eyestrain. Also makes it possible to read it from a tad further off.
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote