Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #31
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
You can email them to request a quote and make a purchase (http://www.eletroworld.cn/ please note, there is no c in eletroworld). They're very fast at replying. I sent them an email last night and I received a reply within 15 minutes or so. Quote they gave was a little over $240 with US shipping and Paypal fee, which is around the same as Chippy paid, I think (minus the German import tax).

Now I'm just debating if I should get one or two...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #32
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Same exact thing for me as ilovejedd. Ordered from the same place. They were fast to respond. They will charge you for EMS shipping and an extra amount if you use Paypal. They also accept Western Union, but I would pay the extra and go Paypal myself. They seem to have done well for Chippy, and I'll be sending them anyone I know who is interested if they do the same for me. Mine was ordered last Wednesday.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #33
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I was quoted $267 ($66 Fedex shipping to Gibraltar,Europe) with Paypal fee. At todays rate it's £168.00 not bad at all, I'll think it over lunch

Last edited by Gibbo; 05-24-2009 at 05:41 AM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #34
Chippy
Enthusiast
Chippy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Various UMPCs
Another interesting pic...
Mobipocket reader over remote desktop from my Vista box displayed on my Q7.

Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #35
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post

Oh my god!!! I'm getting excited now, does that mean I don't really need to decrypt my mobi ebooks?.
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #36
Chippy
Enthusiast
Chippy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Various UMPCs
A small hack on the Q7 to install 'rdesktop' and a remote-desktop capable windows machine and this will work. Of course you will need local network capability to do this which will bring the battery life down to about 6-7 hours but yes, this is one way to do it.
I've been using Firefox on my desktop this way too. It's way way faster and allows one to run internet apps too.

I wrote an article on this topic last year:
http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/04/1439
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #37
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Chippy,

That opens a whole new realm of possibilities! You have to share your knowledge of how you made the rdesktop hack work on the Q7. Does flash work when you run Firefox in this manner?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #38
Gibbo
Guru

Just got confirmation of my order and should be here sometime next week
Old 05-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #39
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Why "kindle-killer"? It's not eInk, how can you compare?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:19 PM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Why "kindle-killer"? It's not eInk, how can you compare?
And that is exactly why it could be a Kindle killer. The only thing an eink screen is good for is linear reading. The screen refresh rate is too slow for anything else.

An LCD screen, on the other hand, can do much more.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #41
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Kindle - Black and white eInk with no backlight, superior battery life
Q7 - backlight, color, internet tablet capabilities, Remoting, much much more...

I had a Sony PRS-505 for a while and it wasn't really my cup of tea. The only benefit I saw was the extra battery life, but I do most of my reading in no light or low light situations so it just wasn't as good as an LCD device. I preferred my eBookwise-1150 or Nokia N770 to the Sony. That's just me, but I know a lot of other people feel exactly the same way. Plus, the Kindle is far too expensive for a single function device.

Last edited by ColdSun; 05-24-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #42
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
I NEED to get my hands on one of these ASAP!!!!!!!
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Q7 - backlight, color, internet tablet capabilities, Remoting, much much more...

I had a Sony PRS-505 for a while and it wasn't really my cup of tea. The only benefit I saw was the extra battery life, but I do most of my reading in no light or low light situations so it just wasn't as good as an LCD device. I preferred my eBookwise-1150 or Nokia N770 to the Sony. That's just me, but I know a lot of other people feel exactly the same way. Plus, the Kindle is far too expensive for a single function device.
you, me, most everyone who's chosen LCD over eink, as well as sizable part of the digital publishing industry.

This last is not a joke or an exaggeration. I spoke to a bunch of people from a bunch of companies at DB09, and the general opinion was that while eink is nice, there are many purposes for which it won't work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #44
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
you, me, most everyone who's chosen LCD over eink, as well as sizable part of the digital publishing industry.

This last is not a joke or an exaggeration. I spoke to a bunch of people from a bunch of companies at DB09, and the general opinion was that while eink is nice, there are many purposes for which it won't work.
Agreed here, too. The multi-function aspect of the Q7, for a lower price, is exactly why it could beat out the Kindle in the market (and why I'd more likely get the Q7 than a Kindle... ever).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #45
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post

The main reason I bought an eink device, is to save my eyes from CRT and LCD monitor. The light and radiation tire our eyes faster. Being able to read in an electronic device as if we were reading paper... That's the main strong point of eink technology.

My eyes' health was my main concern when buying the device. And I guess I'm not the only one.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote