Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you say that? The free next-day shipping we get with Prime in the UK is well worthwhile for me, given that these days I seem to do virtually all my shopping (except food) on Amazon. Outside the US, the free shipping is all that Prime is - we don't get the book lending, video, etc, but I regard it as worth every penny.
I didn't realize there was Prime outside the US. My bad.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #17
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I got Prime for the free shipping, since we do enough shopping on Amazon to make up the difference in just a few orders.

The other stuff that's come with it have just been extra cupcakes in the icing on the cake.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
You can get a FREE one-month trial of Amazon Prime to see if it meets your needs: Amazon Prime Free Trial. Just be sure to opt out before the 30 days is over if you don't want to be charged for a year of membership.

I tried it for a month earlier this year. I watched one or two videos daily for 30 days and borrowed one ebook. It was fun, but I cancelled at the end of the trial because the cost isn't worth it for me personally. Although there are LOTS of videos, I'd watched the ones I was interested in. The two-day shipping isn't an incentive for me; I just wait until my Amazon order is at least $25 and use free Super Saver Shipping. I rarely need anything within a few days, or even within a week or two. But I know the cost of Prime is worth it to many people, and I may reconsider in the future (especially if they add other benefits).

Here are a few links...

Amazon Prime Information

Prime-eligible ebooks (Kindle Owners' Lending Library—U.S. Prime members with a Kindle device can borrow one ebook per calendar month)

Amazon Prime members can watch an unlimited number of movies and TV shows from this selection:
Prime-eligible movies
Prime-eligible TV shows
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Got it, Love it, will renew it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
As a Canadian, I absolutely LOVE Amazon Prime. I can't (officially) use the streaming videos, but the shipping alone is worth it. When I know I'm going to have a reason to be in the US, I can place an order up to the day before and KNOW it will be waiting for me at my mailbox. Not maybe, not just missing. But in my mailbox. And for that, I pay nothing extra for 2 day, and a mere $3.99 for next day. (Heck, for some things, I can even do SAME day.) Yes, I could get 2nd day shipping. But not for free. And I could certainly put together a $25 order to get free super-saver. But I would have zero idea when it would actually get there.

(Oh, and the videos are a nice plus with the help of hidemyass.com. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #21
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
I'm currently on my third year of Prime. I got it before they added free streaming or lending library. With the edition of the lending library, I decided that my next ereader will be a Kindle.

I'm the type of person who would rather order something online then deal with people so I really get my moneys worth. Then again, it has only cost me a total of $40 for my three years of membership...

On average I get about half of my Prime 2-day shipped items next day. I have even received same day delivery on a couple of items I paid the $3.99 next day shipping on. (I'm pretty close to a distribution center).

Now that Amazon streaming is available on PS3 and Xbox360, I have recently started using it. I cancelled my Netflix subscription when they lost the Stars contract. I have found tons of great things (most of which are free) to watch on here. They have been steadily adding some great content.

I will certainly renew my subscription for a fourth year when the time comes. I'll even be willing to pay full price for a change.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Prime will cost you $79/ year or $6.58/ month. This is what you get:
  • Lending Library -- 1 book/ month
  • Prime Instant Videos -- unlimited viewing / selection smaller than Netflix
  • "free" 2-day shipping -- for eligible items / no minimum purchase
Using this list I would say that 10% of the reason I like Amazon Prime is for the lending library, because there aren't that many eligible books that I happen to like at the moment.

Probably 20% is the Prime Instant Videos . I probably watched $40-50 worth of "free ones" on my Kindle Fire the past 6 months. Some of them were good finds, that I would not normally have selected them if I had to buy them individually.

And 70% of the satisfaction is the "free 2-day shipping" on eligible items. Really love it.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I have been using it for almost 5 years in the UK. I have never regretted it. I am also a postman, and Amazon parcels are dealt with separately and not mixed with the other parcels - they seem to be dealt with in a more special manner. Though I do not work in the Parcels center.

The video benefits are negligible, unless u do not belong to an online video club, but 1 book a month - I am guessing from a selection ---- (which is not in the top 20 books)!
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I love Amazon prime. I take advantage of the free today or cheap one day shipping all of the time. I don't use it for books but the free streaming of videos on my Roku is great. The selection is often better than Netflix.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #25
Rebecca_06
Rebecca_06 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Prime can ONLY be purchased thru a Credit Card!
Do you mean you can't pay for it with a gift card? That sort of makes sense, since it's supposed to be a recurring charge every year. They can't exactly charge an empty gift card again in a year.

Honestly, I love Amazon prime, but I almost never use the lending library, and only occasionally use the streaming library. My town has very little shopping options, and since I rarely want to drive 30 minutes or more one way to buy something, I just order it on Amazon and wait for it to show up. But no, it's not worth it for the lending library or streaming options by themselves.
Rebecca_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #26
christineb
christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!christineb rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW, iphone 4, ipad 3
Its worth it for the shipping - think Christmas shopping with no crowds and no worrying about when packages will show up in the mail!
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by christineb View Post
Its worth it for the shipping - think Christmas shopping with no crowds and no worrying about when packages will show up in the mail!
We really took advantage of my free trial last Black Friday. The UPS guy came 3 days in row. Now we have Student Prime which is hubby's account. We will probably do something similar.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #28
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
I'm currently on my third year of Prime... Then again, it has only cost me a total of $40 for my three years of membership...
How did you manage that nobylspoon? I would buy Prime if it was that cheap for me.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What sorts of books can you buy from that leanding library? I do not order enough to make the service compensate me for the yearly cost.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #30
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
How did you manage that nobylspoon? I would buy Prime if it was that cheap for me.
Amazon offers a free year of Prime to college students (no streaming). I changed schools and registered again with my new .edu address for the second year. After that, they offered me a full Prime account for 50% off so I was able to get three years for just $40 total
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote