Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Danskeron
Danskeron began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Goldman Sachs gives Barnes and Noble new $14 price target

In light of the DOJ activity last week, which in my eyes could give Amazon the opportunity to go even lower in the e-book pricing war with it's competitors, I was interested in anyone's opinion on Goldman Sachs lowered forecast for Barnes and Noble. In the research note released with their lowered $14 price target (from $15),

The analysts wrote, “We see risk to BKS from two sources: (1) Lower book prices could reduce gross margin in the ebook business, impeding an already precarious model (EBITDA losses through our forecast horizon). (2) Hastening the migration of book sales online, and away from the physical channel which, despite its secular challenges, is generating all of the firm’s free cash flow, and, in our view, most of its value.”

Coupled with their decline in online physical book sales, how does Barnes and Noble navigate the rest of 2012?
Danskeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't understand what this means. What is $14? The average price of a book?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't understand what this means. What is $14? The average price of a book?
I do believe it's for share price.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
OK, thanks. I'm afraid the importance of this eludes me, but I'm sure it's of interest to some.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I just don't see how Barnes and Noble makes it 2 more years.

If Amazon returns to selling ebooks below cost, they cannot match it. The Glowlight is a cool idea, but I doubt they sell many at 139 and of course they'll be forced to drop the price once Amazon launches a Kindle with that feature. The cheap android tablet market is likely to get pretty crowded soon too, so I don't expect there's a lot of future selling Nook tablets and the like.

I'm no financial expert, but I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if I can take my Nook to a store to read samples and drink coffee come 2014.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK, thanks. I'm afraid the importance of this eludes me, but I'm sure it's of interest to some.
It means that an equity research analyst at Goldman Sachs is less confident in the value of B&N's stock. They cut the expected target price from $15/share to $14/share.

The analyst statement:

“We see risk to BKS from two sources: (1) Lower book prices could reduce gross margin in the ebook business, impeding an already precarious model (EBITDA losses through our forecast horizon). (2) Hastening the migration of book sales online, and away from the physical channel which, despite its secular challenges, is generating all of the firm’s free cash flow, and, in our view, most of its value.”
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Danskeron
Danskeron began at the beginning.

Device: nook
thank you Kali Yuga for the better explanation, and soondai for your response.

I keep hoping B&N will turn things around, but I'm just not seeing it.

On a selfish note, that impacts my decision on whether to go with the new glowlight reader or consider switching e-reader companies ( I have 1 color nook that I love, and 3 sonys - one of which I still travel with - spanning back to the rocket e-reader sitting on a shelf collecting dust ).

Plus, it's a part of my routine to go into the local brick and mortar B&N to find new books, new authors and read selections of books before I decide to purchase. I now have a wider variety of favorite authors I never would have tried before because of the nook/in-store reading model, and I am not looking forward to losing this.
Danskeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
B&N should spin off Nook, then dump everything else. Some small Nook Boutiques coupled with a Starbucks, etc should do quite well.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
B&N should spin off Nook, then dump everything else. Some small Nook Boutiques coupled with a Starbucks, etc should do quite well.
OMG they would make out so well instead of the stores they have now.

So to no ones surprise Barnes and Nobles is selling less and less tradtional books and it's dragging them closer and closer to closing.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
That's...actually a pretty good idea. Get their stuff in coffee shops and other casual hang-out spots like that... Could do well for them.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Errr....

1) The bookstores still make money. Dumping something that's still profitable, even if it's headed for trouble, is suicide.

2) They can't simply terminate all their leases, return all their books and wash their hands of the brick & mortar business.

3) B&N has been losing money on the Nook, because it costs an incredible amount just to make and market the device in the first place. So you're basically recommending they dump their source of profit, for something that loses them money?

4) B&N without its stores will be a worthless hollow shell of itself.

Now do you see why B&N is dwindling in the eyes of equity analysts...?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Errr....
2) They can't simply terminate all their leases, return all their books and wash their hands of the brick & mortar business.
That is the biggest problem B&N (and other "Big Box" retailers) face. Their storefronts are massive fixed costs that are making up an ever-increasing fraction of their operating costs as their pbook sales decline. That is *exactly* the reason Borders wasn't able to find a buyer for even their profitable sites.

Those leases are positively toxic so they have to find ways of monetizing that relatively expensive floorspace.

The one thing they most *need* to do is the one thing they *can't* easily do.

The analysts in question are saying that they don't think B&N can grow their Nook income fast enough to make up the (expected) decline in pbook income. It is up to B&N management to give the lie to that assessment by executing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It is up to B&N management to give the lie to that assessment by executing.
What is the preferred method? Hanging, shooting, decapitation or harakiri?
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Stock closed up 1.3% Monday (S&P flat) to $10.92.

3 Analysts rate a buy
1 underweight
2 sell
2 hold

Doesn't look like the analysts have a clear idea of the company's future.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Doesn't look like the analysts have a clear idea of the company's future.
They can't, because the current market value is a digest of the opinion of all stock buyers, the great majority of whom are directly or indirectly getting their information on what the company is worth from said analysts. If the bulk of analysts thought the price was going toward value X, it would already be there.

What I just wrote couldn't be less original -- it seems to me the conventional financial wisdom of professional economists. Before taking any such analysts seriously, read A Random Walk Down Wall Street. (B&N EPUB is US$19.46, and no Kindle edition. I advise used paper or the public library )
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote