Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #166
MBRO95
MBRO95 began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE TOUCH WIFI + 3G (NO ADS) & HACKED
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone come up with a way around amazon's url blocking on the 3g connection??

Thanks,

MBRO95
MBRO95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #167
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRO95 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone come up with a way around amazon's url blocking on the 3g connection??

Thanks,

MBRO95
Yes, they have. Those who know how are smart enough to know not to use it. It is the sort of thing you need to figure out on your own. Do NOT attempt to recruit accomplices here.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-06-2012 at 10:04 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 AM   #168
AsVHEn
AsVHEn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G 5.1.0
Hi,
I have a problem, I can't install GUI Launcher. I jailbreaked my KT, I can install customscreensaver but nothing more. If I copy other bin file to my Kindle, it's deleted automatically when I unplug from PC. I have spanish lenguage, but I tried now to change it to (American) english and it didn't work too. Any clue?
AsVHEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #169
AsVHEn

I can install SSH access, and I tried to copy then jpatch bin. But "Update your kindle" still be grey. I restarted Kindle, tried to update but give me error 3. Can be an incompatibility with Kindle Touch 3G sold in Spain?

Last edited by AsVHEn; 05-07-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #170
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by test011 View Post
I see this was committed a couple of days ago into to git Could you post a binary for this, ixtab?
It's probably easier to just comment out the two lines in setorientation.sh, if you want to - or to do nothing at all. They don't break anything. I don't feel comfortable releasing yet another version which would change only this tiny aspect.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #171
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsVHEn View Post
I can install SSH access, and I tried to copy then jpatch bin. But "Update your kindle" still be grey. I restarted Kindle, tried to update but give me error 3. Can be an incompatibility with Kindle Touch 3G sold in Spain?
Which version *exactly* is your Kindle? (Look in the device info, there is a version number and a timestamp. Both are important).

You should also read this, it may be the cause of your update problem.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #172
AsVHEn

Version 5.1.0 (1557760049).
I tried to install this update like screensaver or SSH (I mean, copied by USB), but in this case when I unplug kindle, bin file disappear at the moment.
I will try now to force update.

Nothing happend (I used PuTTY to do it, I don't know if it's compatible for this)

Last edited by AsVHEn; 05-07-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #173
ixtab
(offline)

That's really weird, especially since you're using the exact same version as I am... Is there anything useful in the logs? (Try running "showlog -f" while trying to force the update, possibly also with debugging turned on (debugOn.sh)).

Then again, which screensaver are you talking about? AFAIK, there is no "real" custom screensaver solution known to work on the KT 5.1.0....

?!
Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #174
AsVHEn

I will try tomorrow here, but maybe We'll need more specific instructions to ensure I do what I should do .

I used this (now page is down, I have to use Google's cache to see it now, that's weird) I don't know who did it, but what is for sure it's I changed myscreensavers (It's your Kindle 3G too, isn't it?).

And of course, thank you for spend your time on this.

Last edited by AsVHEn; 05-08-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #175
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
AFAIK, there is no "real" custom screensaver solution known to work on the KT 5.1.0....
According to this post simple screensaver hack ( ie the very first version) is working on 5.1.0

EDIT: it is confirmed by the comments on its page on yifan.lu . Also a link to download the package available there.

Last edited by thomass; 05-08-2012 at 01:54 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #176
AsVHEn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
According to this post simple screensaver hack ( ie the very first version) is working on 5.1.0

EDIT: it is confirmed by the comments on its page on yifan.lu . Also a link to download the package available there.
Then it's the same file, isn't it? I wasn't sure 100% of it that's why I linked the spanish page where I download it.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #177
AsVHEn

This is my log after try to force install.
Code:
[root@kindle us]# showlog -f
   120508:102649 ota[948]: E ota_check:validateOTAHeaderFailed:reason=deviceCodeMismatch:
   120508:102649 ota[948]: W ota_monitor:rescanOTAMonitorWarn:reason=validateOTAHeaderFailed:
   120508:102649 ota[948]: I ota_monitor:getPatchRev:patchRev=0:
   120508:102649 ota[948]: I url_builder:HandlerExists::Adding/Updating property to handler
   120508:102649 ota[948]: E ota_monitor:GetApplicableUpdateFailed:reason=noUpdatesAvailable:Trying to install null update_file object.
   120508:102649 ota[948]: W ota_monitor:InstallSystemUpdateRetryScanWarning:retryCount=1:Found invalid update, rescanning filesystem.
   120508:102649 ota[948]: I ota_monitor:getPatchRev:patchRev=0:
   120508:102649 ota[948]: I url_builder:HandlerExists::Adding/Updating property to handler
   120508:102649 ota[948]: E ota_monitor:InstallSystemUpdateFailed:reason=invalidUpdateFound:Trying to install null update_file object.
   120508:102649 ota[948]: E ota_lipc:StartUpdateFailed:reason=installUpdateFailed:Unable to install the system update.
I don't know what I should do at "debugOn.sh part"

Last edited by AsVHEn; 05-08-2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #178
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Code:
[root@kindle us]# showlog -f
   120508:102649 ota[948]: E ota_check:validateOTAHeaderFailed:reason=deviceCodeMismatch:
My guess is that first error tells the entire story.
"Spanish" must be a different device code.

EDIT: A good question for lab126: Why didn't the ota updater bail out on the device code mismatch error, instead of trying to trash the system?

Last edited by knc1; 05-08-2012 at 09:46 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #179
AsVHEn

I managed (with a lot of help) to install jbpatch first and then GUI launcher by coping files and editing init.xargs manually. My kindle still autodelete install or uninstall bins, but at least I can use your great add-on . Anything you want me to try, say it.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #180
ixtab
(offline)

And even more insterestingly: why did *other* updates install without any hickup?

My own kindle is currently bricked so I can't test it. I only have one tiny hope. AsVHen, I'll send you a PM in a few minutes with an alternative GUI launcher binary. Please try to install this one and report back if it causes the same issues...

Tags
kindle touch hacks