Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #241
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
AFAIK the red 650 (unlike the black 650) has always been available on the US Sony site. Until now...
And as my links point out, Sony has used the "No longer available" tag for Readers that have come back in stock. Some in 2010, some as recently as 2 months ago.

I believe it's a misnomer on their site. I don't know why they use it, but so far every time it's been used, the Readers have come back in stock.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #242
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
What about the silver 650? Isn't that available at all in the US?
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #243
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Nope. And also no dark blue 350. They have the 950 instead, so no need for pity
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #244
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
What about the silver 650? Isn't that available at all in the US?
Silver PRS-650 was never a US model AFAIK. Only Red and Black, with Black being very, very hard to come by.

-Pie
Old 07-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #245
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Just a note on the demise of Sony eReaders... may be a touch premature... Waterstones, High Street Birmingham, UK now have 20+ PRS-650s and around the same of PRS-350 in stock and in several colours...

Perhaps it's just North America that's out...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #246
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
Just wanted to point out that most of that loss is due to a tax credit adjustment, which is more of an accounting nature as opposed to something which directly impacts cash flows.
This comment is entirely too rational for a speculative forum.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #247
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not a coincidence, I suspect, that it's the same price as the Kindle. It's certainly come down; when I bought my 350 I think it was £129.
The "official" price for 350 on our Waterstones local stock/order list is £149 !
But the staff say not to worry, everyone knows it's £111, and that's the price !
I remember they were £159 at one point a while ago...........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #248
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
The "official" price for 350 on our Waterstones local stock/order list is £149 !
But the staff say not to worry, everyone knows it's £111, and that's the price !
I remember they were £159 at one point a while ago...........
Strange isn't it? Some of the displays in stores have signs advertising a £111 offer but clearly denote that as being an expired deal. I got my reader a few weeks back and while playing about with the display model said I'd only be interested in purchasing at the reduced price. The assistant informed me that the offer is still running.

It's not running online, where the reader is priced at £10 off - £139. You also can't select a blue PRS-350 online.

Is the Sony partnership with Waterstone's the reason why UK users cannot access the Sony e-book shop (whatever that is called)? When I first got my reader, I noticed the official transfer program redirected one to Waterstone's for books. I'm not fussed either way now as I solely use Calibre.

Surely Sony readers must be somewhat popular in the UK - with just about every Waterstone's with a display stand? I'll admit that my nearest one didn't bother to charge the units on display - so I had to ask them to get one from the storeroom for me to play with.

I also noticed that Tesco have prominent Kindle displays in their larger stores, though, and I suppose that Tescos have a much higher footfall than any high-street book retailer.

I do hope Sony can stay in the market. I love my Pocket - the size makes a huge difference. I also like not being tied into one store.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #249
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony's partnership is not the reason why you cannot access the US Sony shop... the key lies in the designation of US... blame geo-restrictions and maybe Sony (for not being more proactive possibly) but not the dealerships in different countries, they didn't refuse Sony users access to the US but contracted to meet the supply gap caused by Sony's inability to act worldwide...

I suspect that directives from Head Office may have got a bit fluffy recently whilst they've been seeing whether they'll still have a job etc whilst HMV have been flogging them off but now that's settled hopefully all will return to normal...
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #250
deekbee
deekbee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
It's not running online, where the reader is priced at £10 off - £139. You also can't select a blue PRS-350 online.

Surely Sony readers must be somewhat popular in the UK - with just about every Waterstone's with a display stand? I'll admit that my nearest one didn't bother to charge the units on display - so I had to ask them to get one from the storeroom for me to play with.

I also noticed that Tesco have prominent Kindle displays in their larger stores, though, and I suppose that Tescos have a much higher footfall than any high-street book retailer.

I do hope Sony can stay in the market. I love my Pocket - the size makes a huge difference. I also like not being tied into one store.
When I was originally looking at the readers, and chose the Sony, I didn't find anywhere in the UK that had the blue. At least our local Waterstones had them all on display - and all working.

I also noticed the display at Tesco a few weeks back, well stocked. Last night it was empty.

Also agree on the size - the PRS-350 is totally pocketable, and is perfect for reading "normal" paperbacks, a much more pleasant device to hold (and use) than the kindle.

But its a mindshare thing - everyone just seems to automatically equate e-reader=kindle. Similarly with the tablet PCs. I've got an Advent Vega (which is truly excellent), and while my youngest was doing some jigsaws on it, another parent in the house commented "he likes playing on your iPad". Which was pretty damn sad ....
deekbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #251
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Blimey....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
........................I suspect that directives from Head Office may have got a bit fluffy recently whilst they've been seeing whether they'll still have a job etc whilst HMV have been flogging them off but now that's settled hopefully all will return to normal...
I've been here before, but......
Fairly frequent visits to my two local W/stones stores( one large one medium) and discussions with staff, lead me to think you and deekbee must have very unusual stores to have plentiful Sony's - here, the stands have gone, and they say information from the top says no plans to re-stock, they are just selling off remaining stock.

'Course, the Potter developments may alter things, as may the roubles ( or whatever currency it may be, I've misremembered......)
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #252
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekbee View Post
But its a mindshare thing - everyone just seems to automatically equate e-reader=kindle. Similarly with the tablet PCs. I've got an Advent Vega (which is truly excellent), and while my youngest was doing some jigsaws on it, another parent in the house commented "he likes playing on your iPad". Which was pretty damn sad ....
That is a bit sad. It has irritated me for many years that portable audio players are always described as an 'iPod'. Manufacturer's of headphones and other accessories advertise their products as being 'iPod Compatible'. As if the consumer really needs to know that the Sennheiser buds they are looking at are 'iPod ready'... Steve Job's company - after Twitter and Facebook - probably gets more free advertising than any other business.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #253
Arrghus
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I've been here before, but......
Fairly frequent visits to my two local W/stones stores( one large one medium) and discussions with staff, lead me to think you and deekbee must have very unusual stores to have plentiful Sony's - here, the stands have gone, and they say information from the top says no plans to re-stock, they are just selling off remaining stock.

'Course, the Potter developments may alter things, as may the roubles ( or whatever currency it may be, I've misremembered......)
Roubles?

The Potter developments MAY change things, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the new owner of Waterstone's believes that there is still overwhelming consumer demand for dead tree books and brick and mortar stores. I think the company and its suits really need to rethink their strategy if Waterstone's is to continue to have a visible presence on every high street.

They don't advertise at all in the stores I've been into that they sell ebooks. Their is/are no big touch screen display(s) where one can peruse (what should be a graphically impressive and intuitive) electronic catalogue, and see how much money they will save over the dead tree copy (yeah right - they will never see much of a saving if the agencies have their way). They can't put their debit card in this machine and by a book that is sent wirelessly to their device (sort it out Sony - that is one thing the Kindle does remarkably well).

I hear that some bookstores in North America (Borders?) have plenty of DIFFERENT eReaders on display for customers to play with; that's a start and is much better than the bookstores over here!

It will be interesting to see what the likes of Waterstone's and Blackwell's look like in five years time...

p.s. Never mind about about the rouble; a quick Google search and I knew what you meant. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...an-billionaire

Last edited by Arrghus; 07-05-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #254
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
I hear that some bookstores in North America (Borders?) have plenty of DIFFERENT eReaders on display for customers to play with; that's a start and is much better than the bookstores over here!
It would be a start if it were true!

I've never seen multiple readers in a bookstore. The closest, Target (not a bookstore) briefly had the Kindle and Sony Reader in stock at the same time when they transitioned to Kindle-only. Now they have neither in-store!

But as the largest brick-and-mortar bookseller in the US has their own e-Reader, the Nook, they have no incentive to put other models in-store. That damned lock-in keeps variety out of the bookstore and out of the question.

-Pie
Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #255
elcreative
Wizard

You must be looking in strange places... in the UK, Birmingham, High Street Waterstones not only has Sonys on display (both 350 & 650 and in stock) but also has some elonex and Bookeen Opus at the moment also in stock...