Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #76
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Just thinking a little more about my comic books, I remembered that my father was the first person to buy me them. He would buy me Classics Illustrated Junior comics - lol, I was probably too young to read the words at the time, but I loved looking at the pictures. I'm forever thankful that he never viewed comic books with disdain.

For those who remember Classics Illustrated, you might find this interesting:
http://www.classiccomicstore.com/sto...6&Type=regular
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #77
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
vacuuming I get, not sweeping. I need two hands for that
Not me, I had a system... It involved using my chin and chest/shoulder though... and it wasn't very efficient nor effective. My mom complained it took me twice as long to do any chores this way. Probably, but I sure enjoyed the housework a lot better that way!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #78
pmgibson
pmgibson began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile 6.5
I have a friend who reads while she takes her dog for walks. Now, I love to read, but my terrier would pull me into the next county if I tried to read while walking him.
pmgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:07 AM   #79
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgibson View Post
I have a friend who reads while she takes her dog for walks. Now, I love to read, but my terrier would pull me into the next county if I tried to read while walking him.
welcome to the forums! if you have a terrier that would pull you into the next county, imagine what this baby would do!!!!
Attached Images

kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #80
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I've encountered people who sneer at reading. Shrug. It's not as if I respect their opinion.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #81
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Kids, please keep in mind that the author actually might have made up that whole story.

Authors tend to do that. Planting the seed of bizarre fictional concepts in the minds of the innocent ... books are dangerous, after all.
I know I'm late to the party, but I was thinking that there were some things t this story that just don't ring true.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #82
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I've never met a parent who told their kid to not read, unless it was an inappropriate time.

I've met many parents who failed to encourage a kid to read, but none that tried to prevent it.

Seems like a caricature of the more general suppression of curiosity. Good easy way to evoke anger among some folks.
My parents did, they kind of had to I think. For a while it was: no reading in the car, no reading at school, no reading at bedtime, no reading in restaurants, no reading on vacation etc.

Did save a lot of money though, I'm glad they did it now even if it annoyed me so much back then. I was good for 3 novels a day, I'd read history textbooks, huge war books when I was in elementary school. Now I can't be bothered much past a good sci-fi novel, even though I'm a university student.
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #83
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... I wonder if there is any real difference between "Stop reading, turn off that
light and GO TO SLEEP!" and "Turn off that computer and GO TO SLEEP!"?

Or if the current concern for childhood obesity and lack of strenious activity with our
kid's current lifestyle was not manifest in earlier times by the the idea that "All that
reading isn't good for you, GO OUT AND PLAY!"?

While there were those restraints applied to reading, they can hardly compare to those
warm and snug times where my sister and I were cuddled up to our mom and listened to
a few chapters before we fell asleep and got carried off to bed. My fondest memory is
of my own son, as a little guy, when he had fallen asleep part way through a story and
I noticed that he was giggling in his sleep.

Personally I think that the fun reading comics then Science Fiction or Kid detective
books made a bridge to the skill that made reading an unconscious process at an early
age. I think that NASA owes more to the "Golden Age of Science Fiction" than is much
appreciated. Somehow I don't see "Harry Potter" or the "Twilight Series" books as
having the beneficial impact of a "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel" or the non-hollywood
original "Starship Troopers".

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #84
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
My stepmother threw my books in the garbage and told me that reading rots your brain when I was a teen. It's possible that people are actively discouraging reading in children.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #85
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just thinking a little more about my comic books, I remembered that my father was the first person to buy me them. He would buy me Classics Illustrated Junior comics - lol, I was probably too young to read the words at the time, but I loved looking at the pictures. I'm forever thankful that he never viewed comic books with disdain.
That's how I was taught to read at a very young age - my father got sick of reading the comics in the newspaper to me, so suggested I tried reading them myself! So by the age of 4 I could actually read quite well. Every adult I met would be asked to "help me with reading" until I (1) learnt to read and (2) exhausted every adult I knew!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #86
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
My interest in the comics section of the Sunday newspaper might have been why my parents branched me out into comic books. I think that I found out about comics in the daily newspapers after I had been exposed to comic books. Once I realized there were comics there every day, I would get the newspapers after my parents were finished with it, and read the comics faithfully. From there, other sections of the paper caught my eye and eventually I read the paper from beginning to end.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #87
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
My first books were comic books - Asterix and Tintin (and the Phantom, Mandrake and Flash Gordon and all those crazy dudes). My dad would read 'em to me at first - no nicer way to introduce a kid to reading. It's such a pity that Asterix and Tintin are so rare in American households - the rest of the world is still madly in love with them . You can learn so much from those books!
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #88
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42 View Post
My stepmother threw my books in the garbage and told me that reading rots your brain when I was a teen. It's possible that people are actively discouraging reading in children.
Holy crap, really? That sucks.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #89
Jar Jar Binks
Enthusiast
Jar Jar Binks began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650 And PRS 350 Yay I got it !!! I got it !!! I'm in love.
So sad to taint a child that way. But I bet that child will prbly already has found a way to read without Mommy Dearest knowing anything about it.
LOL As a child I didn't read well. Hated having to get up in front of the class at school and read. Was bad at it, still am horrible most of the time reading aloud. I read really short books in my room trying to improve so I didn't feel so much like a fool.
I really started to ENJOY reading after I was married and began having children. My (husband) Told me I shouldn't read because 1 it was a waste of time and didn't get anyone anywhere,2 that I shouldn't read or do any other activity I liked, becaue "HE WAS HOME" Gee I am glad I booted to the curb,unfortunately he taught my children to believe that way. So I am giving my grandchildren all the books I can. And will read to them and help them read every chance I get.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #90
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post

For those who remember Classics Illustrated, you might find this interesting:
http://www.classiccomicstore.com/sto...6&Type=regular
When I was a kid, I read lots of comics and eventually read some based on classic literature, too. I'm sure that comics helped me learn to enjoy reading and inspired me to read some of the originals later. When our kids were young, we used to buy them comic books based on The Adventures of Asterix. They quickly became a family favourite. Asterix comic books have been translated in more than 100 different languages and dialects, so they're great fun if you're learning another language.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote