Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #16
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
We have a fireworks competition, every Saturday from June to August.
We have a Jazz Fest (ongoing).
We have at least three different movie festivals, this one being my favorite.
We have Just for Laughs Festival.
We have the Old Port, two downtowns (one English, one French) with their specialties, we have an island park for outside shows (from Osheaga fest to small electronic bands) and a mountain right in the middle of the city, with an artificial lake for more outdoor activities.
And an enormous park in the east of the town, half of which is occupied for the botanical garden, the other for locals to lounge, bike, play games or bbq.

Montréal in the summer: it's people everywhere, a see of people, as far as you can see, all relaxed and fairly happy. It's the town to be in the summer!
That sounds wonderful - wish I was there!

Although this weekend is a wine and food fair in Bristol. We have to plan things which can happen even if it rains (or which distract you from the rain!).

The "Paris Plage" sounds familiar - we've had one of them in Bristol, but only if the weather's worth it. You wouldn't want to swim in Bristol Harbour!
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
That sounds wonderful - wish I was there!

Although this weekend is a wine and food fair in Bristol. We have to plan things which can happen even if it rains (or which distract you from the rain!).

The "Paris Plage" sounds familiar - we've had one of them in Bristol, but only if the weather's worth it. You wouldn't want to swim in Bristol Harbour!
ha, paris and bristol, same struggle !

that balloon photo is gorgeous though, it really makes me want to go there. (in summer. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
It is lovely, and the Balloon Fiesta is great, but only happens in a really spectacular way when the weather is perfect - specifically not too much wind. On the coast that's slightly optimistic! (The picture I posted is from a slightly too windy year. On good years lots of balloons all launch together.)
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #19
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
We should organise something like a "MR circuit", where we'd go from MR member hometown to the following. We would all be the host of our peers and make everyone discover the joys of our respective towns... I'm more than willing to offer my home, and mostly, to try the circuit!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Yes, I should have mentioned that.
And the show is called the Celebration of Light (formerly the Symphony of Fire)

They set off the fireworks in time to music that is broadcast over the local radio. At one time it was all great classical music, but some modern tunes have crept in.

WDE.
we used to show draft horses at the PNE every year, and I have pictures of my daughter dancing for the piper at the pier in front of the Victorian
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Well it's British Summertime (which means three or maybe four days of actual sunshine), and in Britain there's nothing more beautiful than the sights we see in summer, especially in our cities.
When I was a young man, I used to spend a couple of months a year in Scotland. They had summer every year in Scotland, last time I was there in summer, as I recall; it was on a Thursday!

Now I live in perpetual summer!

Last edited by wodin; 07-06-2009 at 09:42 PM.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
My town doesn't do anything during the summer, its pretty dull. We've managed to be in the wrong place in Maine so no tourists in the summer, and no skiing in the winter. =(
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:57 AM   #23
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Well in small town Alberta we have Canada Parade.

However, Calgary, a short drive away has the....

Which consists of some of this...

And some of this....

Oh and I can't forget....

Then some of these...

Which go well with....

and...

That's why the Calgary Stampede is the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #24
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Now that looks fun! (Calgary Stampede). My high school (in Texas) put on a rodeo every year. It was the Senior's responsibility to paint the rodeo arena and set things up, work the whole thing and tally the receipts. As I recall, we usually just about broke even...

Now that I'm "grown up" and live in Illinois, we have something called Petunia Festival every year during the week of the Fourth of July. It involves a week full of live music, a carnival with midway rides, fireworks (with music broadcast on a local radio station as a previous poster mentioned), art shows, marathon runs, car shows, kids' events, food vendors, and a LOT of pink petunias EVERYWHERE you look.

I was kind of disappointed this year. Our town has been redoing part of the riverfront for the past year, and it was promised to be done by Festival. Of course, it wasn't (and still isn't, Festival was last week). It's to be a plaza sort of setup with picnic areas, an amphitheatre, and a statue in tribute to Ronald Reagan (this is his hometown - there are plaques on every building the man ever went in, I swear). Once it's done and the new traffic pattern is set, it'll be a very nice place to go and read.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #25
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
We have the Airshow:

The River:

Bike trails:

And Summer sports:

pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #26
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
We have the Airshow:
The River:
Equal Rites
Bike trails:
And Summer sports:
Where's the famous cement sculpture?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #27
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I couldn't find my picture of it quickly enough and had to go do Nursing Home Rounds, so I had to settle for those that I could find.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #28
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I couldn't find my picture of it quickly enough and had to go do Nursing Home Rounds, so I had to settle for those that I could find.
Here ya go, I can't get enough of it.

[
Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #29
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Here ya go, I can't get enough of it.

I hadn't noticed before, but that indian has REALLY big feet.

And do they let the poor fella wear a buffalo pelt during farking winter?
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #30
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
And do they let the poor fella wear a buffalo pelt during farking winter?
It's likely fully burried in snow during farking winter!

Tags
summer