Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
Kratos
Connoisseur
Kratos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad, PC
Smile Please help with ePub validation errors.

Hi, I've created an ePub solely for the iBooks store using Adobe Indesign CS5.5 on a PC. I have unzipped and edited some of the html using Notepad+. And I have rezipped.

Using the Pagina validation tool I checked my epub and got these errors:-

Code:

WARNING: Book1b.epub: 
   resource OEBPS/fonts/MinionPro-Bold.otf cannot be decrypted 

resource OEBPS/fonts/MinionPro-Regular.otf cannot be decrypted 

item (iTunesMetadata.plist) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file

Any idea how to remedy these, and are the warning issues less serious an can they still pass the Apple iBooks check?

Last edited by Kratos; 09-12-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
The first two are a problem with embedding your fonts, I'm not sure if it is the particular font you are using or what. You could wither try and embed no fonts, or use a different one.

The 3rd error happens because you probably loaded you book on your apple device through iTunes. It puts that ".plist" file in there when you do. So either unzip your epub, and delete the file and rezip it. Or re-export it and try and validate it before it sending it though iTunes.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The embedded fonts are encrypted to Adobe's standard since they were exported via InDesign. You'll need to put in unecrypted fonts for the validation to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The embedded fonts are encrypted to Adobe's standard since they were exported via InDesign. You'll need to put in unecrypted fonts for the validation to work.
or just click off the embed fonts check box in the export to ePub dialogue box.
Myriad is just a sans serif font that you can specify in the CSS.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Kratos
Connoisseur
Kratos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad, PC
I've unclicked the option in InDesign and it doesn't embed the fonts. It's fine. Thanks!

Last edited by Kratos; 09-16-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
vlasee
vlasee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi guys!

I have the sam eproblem with embeding fonts... I googled and it seems I need to unceck "embed fonts" in indesign when exporting but...

1. I created epub file in Adobe InDesign CC.
2. I made whole bunch of changes on html files and css in Calibre (SVG Vrapper, some text editing in html files, TOC changes... etc)
3. At the end, when I checked it on http://validator.idpf.org some ERRORS epiered. I correct all of them but WARNING: resource 'OEBPS/font/Lato-Regular.ttf' cannot be decrypted stays...

Is there any way to fix it w/out going back to Indd so I could finaly finish this neverending job? I guess some changes in css should do the job but I'm not very good at it.

One more question... Is the WARNING issue reason for rejecting the book for publishing?

Thanks!
vlasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
InDesign seems to create problems! I would download the free & excellent Sigil software, open the epub in that, and fix it there.

Apple requires books to have pass epubcheck.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Embedding fonts on your own is so easy, just add the file and use the font-face rule to import them...

You get that error I think because the font was obfuscated.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
InDesign seems to create problems! I would download the free & excellent Sigil software, open the epub in that, and fix it there.

Apple requires books to have pass epubcheck.
nj:

We use INDD daily. It doesn't cause problems any more than does Word. People simply need to actually learn how to use it. Virtually 100% of our White Label work is INDD intake, and of course, all of our own in-house POD work (plus eBooks) is done in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
Embedding fonts on your own is so easy, just add the file and use the font-face rule to import them...

You get that error I think because the font was obfuscated.
n.b.: don't simply EMBED fonts that require licensing. If you have NOT licensed the font for eBook/app usage, you're putting yourself and your client, presuming one exists, in harm's way, particularly if you are using Adobe fonts. Ensure that you've licensed the font correctly, or replace the foundry fonts with fonts that you are able to license for the use.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub validation error