Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
luckycharms
Connoisseur
luckycharms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-650, iPad 1, iPhone 4S
goodreads on kobo?

Hi Folks,

I have a glo (loving it), and I haven't looked into the hacking possibilities yet. While I know that amazon bought goodreads, i'm wondering if anyone has thought about making some sort of app that would integrate goodreads into the glo? It'd be awesome, for example, to post your book ratings right from the glo, look at recommendations, etc. Pie in the sky, I know, but I'm really not sure what hacking the glo is capable of.

thanks!
luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I haven't seen anything like that yet (maybe it will eventuate if there's interest here?), but n case it's useful: if you use Calibre to manage your Glo, there is a Goodreads plugin for that.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123281
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
luckycharms
Connoisseur

thanks meeera! yeah, let's see if there's a kobo hacker out there with interest.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Let me get this straight, you want More Social Media, on your Kobo Reader?

To each his own, I guess.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
luckycharms
Connoisseur

Not more - just better. I actually don't see anything very "social" about what kobo has on there already. Are you referring to their bookstore and recommendations? Or perhaps kobos one-way link to facebook (which i find useless)? Either way, I think there are plenty of people who find goodreads useful - even more so if directly linked in one's reader.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 AM   #6
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Well, it's strange if you know me, but I would Kobo more social, because I miss a way to share my highlights. Sometimes I post on Facebook a quote I liked very much, and this will be more simple if you can do it with a touch. Unfortunately for what I know this is a missing feature of epub itself.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I agree. Goodreads is a social network for some; for others, it is a place simply to look up books, read reviews, and to keep track of their own reading - ratings, quotes, and so on.

I haven't tried accessing Goodreads in the Glo's browser, but I'm guessing it would be messy and slow. Onboard integration could be quite useful for those who aren't as tethered to a base computer as I am.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Let me get this straight, you want More Social Media, on your Kobo Reader?

To each his own, I guess.
Or different. I use Goodreads, but I don't use ANY of the integrations to the Kobo site - even when I buy books, I download the epubs to calibre.

But I do keep my current reads synced from calibre to Goodreads, and when I finish a book I use the Goodreads plugin to move it to my read shelf.

I've certainly been thinking about writing some glue between the KoboUtilities plugin (which can get my reading status) and the GoodReads plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharms View Post
I actually don't see anything very "social" about what kobo has on there already. Are you referring to their bookstore and recommendations? Or perhaps kobos one-way link to facebook
I expect he means Kobo's Reading Life

Last edited by auspex; 07-28-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Why on earth was there an apostrophe in "means" in that last line
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Or different. I use Goodreads, but I don't use ANY of the integrations to the Kobo site - even when I buy books, I download the epubs to calibre.

But I do keep my current reads synced from calibre to Goodreads, and when I finish a book I use the Goodreads plugin to move it to my read shelf.

I've certainly been thinking about writing some glue between the KoboUtilities plugin (which can get my reading status) and the GoodReads plugin.
Sounds like a good idea. If there is anything I can add to the Kobo Utilities plugin to help, please tell me.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sounds like a good idea. If there is anything I can add to the Kobo Utilities plugin to help, please tell me.
Why not pull data from the mobile site somehow?
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
What do you suggest? There are any number of ways to push & pull data to/from Goodreads: what would you like to see?
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
What do you suggest? There are any number of ways to push & pull data to/from Goodreads: what would you like to see?
Maybe make it look like a kobo app, like the store front or something. I dunno..just a thought, might be easier said then done I suppose.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote