Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
markyboy
markyboy began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Another struggling newbie

I am trying to convert my novel to ePub for posting to itunes. It is in MS Word format, and so can easily convert to filtered HTML, etc. Thought I'd use Calibre, which suggests BC to get all the chapter files. Where do I locate BC?
markyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi markyboy,
You can find the tool, on the fist post of this thread or on the main BookCreator thread, it's a sticky [ BookCreator Tool v3.0 (link) ]

NOTE: Unless you make the IMP files I recommend you install the file with the "NO_IMP" version.

And here is a direct link to the tool (link).

>>>>>>>>>> INSTALLING <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
The tool is a word macro. So to install the tool, just unzip it, and place it any where. I recommend you put it in your windows template directory.

Then just either double click on the template file "BookCreator.dot".

If you placed it in your template directory, you can open Word and create a new file, then use the "BookCreator" template .

>>>>>>>>>> CREATING CHAPTERS <<<<<<<<<<<<<
There are several marcos that help detect and format chapters. One macro will just format the chapter, the default will insert a page break before the chapter.

There is also a chapter detecter that identifies chapters. It looks for two convetions

All caps or the word chapter in one line.

Chapter [Whatever name, number title]

- or -

MY FIRST BOOK

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-06-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Added note
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #18
dartrout
dartrout began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Hi X Wizard, great work I have used this macro for awhile now thank you for all the hard work that when into it. Since having used Book Creator 3 I have upgraded my desktop computer and now I am running Windows 7 x64, I am getting errors when opening the macro in Word 2010, I do have a little bit of knowledge about VB , mainly enough to be dangerous, is there any chance of you porting Book Creator 3.0 to a 64 bit macro? Just wandering?
Thanks so much for the wonderful work you have done!
dartrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #19
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Dartrout,
You aren't the fist to mention Win7 on x64 is having is not working. Unfortunately I do not have access to such a machine and Win7 to look into this issue. So in the short term the answer is no, there are no plans to port it over.

Hopefully somebody with VBA knowledge is willing to port this code over to a MS Word 2010 x64.

One workaround, and not a very good one I'll admit, is to install a 32bit virtual machine and install Windows 32bit and MS Word on it. That is actually similar to my workaround since I use linux at home.

=X=
Old 08-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
dartrout
dartrout began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Thanks X wizard, I understand completely, if I knew a little more about VB I would give it a try. I do have an old desktop that I will get out of storage and install 32 bit windows. Again thanks for the hard work that when into Book Creator 3.
dartrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
thepuss
thepuss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle-3 (Wifi Only)
BookCreator v3 on Win7 x64 with Office 2010 x64

Did anyone ever get this template sorted for Win x64 platforms?

I have a copy that my brother (a VB programmer) has been through (hope you don't mind!) that I am happy to pass back to whoever is in charge.

Its not especially tested as yet, as I am totally new to this, but couldn't bear the thought of having to go back to XP and Office 2003 just to get it working.

Thepuss.
thepuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #22
=X=
Wizard

Hi thepuss, no I totally do not mind. I'm complete open to the idea of somebody providing a fix or an enhancement.

There is only one issue. If the solution requires me to have a Win x64 with Office 2010 I cannot maintain it. If your brother would be willing to maintain the file, I would be more than happy to post his version on the front page along with the version I release.

Also I do have my version that has a few bug fixes and minor enhancements. I'll post that copy here on this link so you/your bother can download it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #23
MDombrowski
MDombrowski began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
X Wizard - I am obviously just a newb, but can't seem to find the "Create eBook" pop-up window referenced above, so I have no idea how to save my word document.
MDombrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDombrowski View Post
X Wizard - I am obviously just a newb, but can't seem to find the "Create eBook" pop-up window referenced above, so I have no idea how to save my word document.
What MS Word are you using. Also are you allowing macros to work?

Word2007 has a ribbon called "Add Ins" click on that ribbon and you should see the "Create eBook" menu option.

Also just a clarification, the "Create eBook" button does not save the MS Word document it just creates an eBook of your choice (MOBI, PDF, PDB, etc..)

=X=
Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #25
Borlani
Borlani
Borlani began at the beginning.

Device: iBad
Hi Wiz,
(I think your name is very apt as this is all "Magic" to me).
I'd like to ask some dumb muggle questions please...hope you don't mind.
to explain...
After a three month nightmare trying to get a workable ePub solution that didn't cost a bomb (and many many extremely disappointing programmes that didn't work) I discovered your files, downloaded them (with little faith - being burned out from inumerable previous dubious wonderware experiences) and was so stunned at the ease and simplicity that I got totally distracted and completely forgot to mentally log the name of the magic tool that had done the job. Got wrapped up in publishing launch and only came back to try once again much later. Long story short - could not for the life of me recall what it was called. Couldn't find it anything in my programmes folder that looked helpful, remained baffled for a considerable time. Dang, but I MUST have bookmarked it, I always do. Searched for "epub convertor/conversion add-in/plug in for word/MSword" (etc.) got sidetracked by very similar posts in mobileread but had a lot of trouble relocating your post.
I very much wanted to share this with others, especially as I am half way through writing a book about how to self-publish and this, I believe, would be an invaluable tool to be able to tell people about.
The Dumb Questions...
Is this forum the ONLY place to download your files? (I can't find any other download point for them using any combination of terms in Search Engines)
Like, do you have a website or distribution point?
Can I stick your files on my website for people to download?
Please note:-
I don't want to rip you off, or charge, or make anything, just simply try to help to make these more available to people.
I run a free website of 'Free Stuff' and would love to put them on there just to help other people like me who need a nice, simple, workable solution to creating ePubs.

Can you tell me what is the latest version please? I have found this post with BookCreator 3.0 but a previous post has BookCreator v3.5.

I note that the original post is now around 3 years old - do you have more up to date info online?

Am I right in thinking that one needs to install Calibre, THEN BookCreator because it calls routines from Calibre?

As part of my project I am preparing to do some Video Tutorials, I would most definitely like to include one on BookCreator. It won't be happening overnight, but when its done shall I send you a copy (to do with as you see fit)?

To conclude I offer you my earnest thanks for creating this tool.
I only wish I had found this right at the beginning and saved myself a lot of heartache and months of wasted time re-editing broken documents, etc.

- Ian.
Borlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
=X=
Wizard

Hi Ian,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borlani View Post
Hi Wiz,
(I think your name is very apt as this is all "Magic" to me).
Ha ha, no that is not my doing Mobileread has given me that moniker. I think it's related to post count or karma.

Quote:
Can you tell me what is the latest version please? I have found this post with BookCreator 3.0 but a previous post has BookCreator v3.5.

I note that the original post is now around 3 years old - do you have more up to date info online?
Yes the latest version is BookCreator(BC) v3.5. The thread you mentioned is a sticky and will always have the latest version, for now. The BC on this thread is old.

That said, I think I will be moving my tool away from MobileRead. I feel my involvement on this site getting seriously reduced or coming to an end.

The site is BookCreator (http://code.google.com/p/bookcreator/ )

I also have a Blog where I am planning on having articles and tutorials (some on BC)
Reminiscence of an eBookreader (http://reminiscenceofanebookreader.wordpress.com/)

I haven't been too active on either of those sites but I will be picking up my activity.

You are welcome to host the file on your site, but as time progresses and updates are made they will become stale, as it stands I am currently working on an update and adding new features.

Quote:
Am I right in thinking that one needs to install Calibre, THEN BookCreator because it calls routines from Calibre?
The order does not matter but yes you do need calibre to create eBooks with BookCreator.

In theory you can use BC w/o calibre since the real power of the BC tool is that the UI has been optimize the book formatting process. I know of some folks that use BC to format their books then past the content into Sigil or their eBook creating tool. Microsoft has the ability to export a document in HTML format.

What BC does is takes the Book formatting features a step farther and integrates with calibre so that one can create an eBook within the BC tool.

Quote:
As part of my project I am preparing to do some Video Tutorials, I would most definitely like to include one on BookCreator. It won't be happening overnight, but when its done shall I send you a copy (to do with as you see fit)?

- Ian.
I would definitely love to see your tutorials. I have been wanting to make some video tutorials and have a few started but the lack of time has prevented me from completing the tutorials.

=X=
Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #27
Borlani
Borlani
Borlani began at the beginning.

Device: iBad
Thanks Wiz,
I very much appreciate your help.
It baffles me that Microdaft Turd has not included this as an export feature.
I haven't used any type of Macro programming for eons, (since WPL on the Apple ][e europlus), and I skimped on learning HTML (though I can read it), but it never dawned on me to put the two concepts together and make ePub files, but retrospectively I can see the logic in that. (though I couldn't do it myself)
I tried Sigil btw, it didn't like me and ate my files. I was warned it was beta and some of the features were bugs, but it cost me a lot of time. Perhaps it is better now. I still haven't forgiven it. I must have spent (wasted) over three months trying to figure out ePub, and this tool is by far the most elegant solution I have seen yet. I have only been using Computers for 35 years now, so I am still learning I guess. Like I said, if I had found this on day one I would have published much sooner.
I am less bothered about hosting your files for any reason other than to simplify the process for people to get to the utility, so to link to your website is a great solution. I would, of course, give you due credit. I would just like to raise the visibility of this as a solution and save others from getting lost in the ePub "Maze" (hence the picture of a Maze on the front cover of my intended book.)
I am currently walking a client through the stages of Authoring her own book, and am hoping I can get her to use BC to produce ePub versions, but I am not sure I can safely guide her through unzipping and using macros remotely - so I might kill two birds with one stone and use Camtasia to go through the process and record it and then hopefully she can follow the video - which I can then also reference in my book on how to publish ebooks. Like yourself I find only a fixed number of hours in a day, but never enough to do everything try to take on.
I think part of the problem is how deeply technical one gets in explaining ePub, after all, it is just HTML in a Zipped file, but not every writer wants to get into HTML or even understands file compression. I shall get my thinking head on and see if I can't K.I.S.S.
Thanks for your help, and for kindly replying so promptly.
Borlani is offline   Reply With Quote