Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #46
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Yeah, the Next1 is 2 or 3 ounces heavier than the Augen and the Slick.
I didn't think a couple of ounces would really matter, but it certainly seems a lot heavier when reading in bed.

I wish it was lighter, but I'm willing to live with the extra weight for the higher resolution, additional features, and the possibility of real video support.
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #47
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
PER3072B spotted in the wild....

Translation of some Russian discussions taking place on The-ebook.org forum about the new Prestigio PER3072B.

They include the first impressions of a user (SAM), but as of yet no discussions about firmware (updating/extraction).
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #48
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tutorial: Firmware Backup/Extraction

Just wanted to share my experiences playing with the Next1's firmware...

eBook readers based on the Rockchip RK2729 have 3 hidden partitions.
  1. A backup firmware (only updated using the Firmware Upgrade tool (RK28DM) available here)
  2. The firmware actually loaded (150MB partition)
  3. User settings. (80MB partition)

We can see (and then backup) 2. and 3. above using the following method:
  • Attach the reader to the computer using the mini-usb cable.
  • Create an empty file with the following name: rkusb.tag
  • Copy it into the root of internal memory (NEXTBOOK Partition). There may be another unnamed partition for the microSD card, if installed. Make note of the Drive Letters assigned.
  • Turn off the reader
  • Shutdown and restart the computer
  • Turn on the reader and wait until the USB connection picture is displayed
  • Wait a reasonable time to recognize the reader (the previously visible partitions above may have the Drive Letters re-assigned now)
  • After the computer finds the two new partitions, copy the contents of each of them into a zipped file or "as is" onto your hard drive
  • Delete the empty file created (rkusb.tag) in internal memory
  • Power cycle the reader and the hidden partitions will “disappear” as before.

Notes:
  1. Do not try to copy the individual files into the hidden partitions to update the firmware.
  2. The OS loader of the reader checks the CRC of the files from partition 1. to 2. and if they do not match, they are replaced.
  3. To update you have to create an image (FAT) .img file using UltraISO or WinImage, and replicate the file structure of the larger (150MB) hidden partition’s contents.
  4. Then use the software Rockchip DK28DM_Setup to install the firmware upgrade tool and update with your .img file.

For other devices, other possible empty filenames, instead of rkusb.tag, to try are:
- teclast.sys, FRK.TAG, HTC_001.Tag

If you aren't comfortable messying around with your device's firmware, then don't! Proceed with extreme caution as there may be a slight chance you can "brick" your device if the above is preformed incorrectly. These instructions work for me, but I won't be held responsible for any damage done to your device by following them (or not!).

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-06-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added links
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #49
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
To update you have to create an .img image (FAT) .img files using UltraISO or WinImage, and replicate the file structure of the larger (150MB) hidden partition’s contents.
Copy of my Next1's original firmware (in an archived .rar) is available from here.

This is from my mediafire account.

Enjoy!
-Nick

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-05-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #50
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Thank you for doing all the hard work for me!
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #51
nrapallo

Quote:
I got a sneak peak at the Prestigio PER3072B product manual and the Main Menu (home page) screen on that e-reader LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Manual for the Prestigio PER3072B is now available online here.

Only with this English manual, there's still a typo throughout with the Model Number (307 should be 3072). I was hoping they would fix this before releasing it since the manual is also in the firmware and that too is now wrong. WOOT! Time for a firmware update...
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #52
nrapallo

Quote:
Time for a firmware update...
There's talk of a planned firmware release for the Prestigio PER3072B in the Russian forum per user EOL.

I can just taste it...
Old 01-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #53
duuri
duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Prestigio 3072b
hi guys i have that prestigio 3072b and i can extraxct firmware for you guys in system info it says its version 2.2.2 i will put it in dropbox if someone wants..

Last edited by duuri; 01-13-2011 at 02:16 PM.
duuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #54
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by duuri View Post
hi guys i have that prestigio 3072b if you tell me how i will extract firmware o files i willd o it
WOW! Thanks for the offer!

If you look up a few posts at post #48 (see top right corner of that post), you will find how I extracted the Next1's v1.0.00 software version of the v0.4.16 firmware.

Do you have software/firmware v2.1.3 (check under Settings/System Information)?

If you need help getting started, just post in this thread.

In essence, what you need to do is:
  1. (optional) Download the RK28_DM_Setup found in the Prestigio PER3052BW download section
  2. (optional) Install that software and the RK2729 usb .inf driver, when required
  3. Plug in your usb cable to the e-reader and computer, and turn the r-reader on.
  4. In this USB mode, copy any file named "rkusb.tag" to the internal flash memory
  5. Disconnect the e-reader and reboot the computer, then re-connect the e-reader after the reboot
  6. While that "rkusb.tag" is still in internal memory, TWO hidden partitions will be recognized by the computer (takes about a minute). The 150 MB partition is the (expanded) firmware files.
  7. Either compress the 150 MB partition in a .zip/.rar/.7z and upload somewhere or create a FAT .img using those files.
  8. BUT if you have firmware v2.1.3, then I think that will become available online soon...

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #55
duuri
duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.duuri has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

i just put rkusb.tag on root on my device restarted it and all partition were visible..

i tried that firmware update tools but it doesn't recognize mi device.. driver which is with that tool doesn't work under w7 x64 but i can see those two hidden partition so i copied all files and it's here http://db.tt/qfC2HSt
check it if it's ok...
in system info is ver 2.2.2

Last edited by duuri; 01-13-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #56
duuri

few thing maybe you can help me with... I can't change charset coding for pdb only by txt... my language uses special character and they aren't working...

second thing mkv playback is not working..is on web but on manual not i see there is h263 and h264 codec

Last edited by duuri; 01-13-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #57
nrapallo

Quote:
few thing maybe you can help me with... I can't change charset coding for pdb only by txt... my language uses special character and they aren't working...
I know for text files the charset can be changed, so why not just extract the text from the PalmDoc .pdb using any tool you find. My Mobi2IMP will convert PalmDoc to .imp formats used by my EBW1150 ebook reader and can leave the exploded .html/.txt behind. If that seems too complicated, just use my MakeDocN utility that will also extract .txt from .pdb's.

Then just load those text files onto the Prestigio instead of using the .pdb ebooks. They will look the same on the e-reader.

Quote:
second thing mkv playback is not working..is on web but on manual not i see there is h263 and h264 codec
Yeah, the solution may be as simple as renaming the video file; just add the extension .avi to your .mkv video, for example video.mkv becomes video.mkv.avi, then it should be playable on the Prestigio.

Let's hope a future firmware will fix this problem, as well as add filename sorting of videos files, by thumbnail, title, filename, etc.

I'm impressed with the video format playback and that feature alone makes this unit very much relevant in 2011 along with it's ebook (DRM/non-DRM) capabilities.

By the way, tip for all who may not know this. For .epubs, the 'Catalog' menu item (hit 'Menu' button and scroll up with D-pad) lists all the toc.ncx entries, even the nested level 2 and 3 items that are hidden from view. They appear as a different icon and can be easily expanded using the 'Menu' button when the highlight is on such entries. This works for the Next1 as well as the PER3072B! Try this with the Adobe EPUBBestPractices.epub.

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-13-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #58
nrapallo

Quote:
i just put rkusb.tag on root on my device restarted it and all partition were visible..

i tried that firmware update tools but it doesn't recognize mi device.. driver which is with that tool doesn't work under w7 x64 but i can see those two hidden partition so i copied all files and it's here http://db.tt/qfC2HSt
check it if it's ok...
in system info is ver 2.2.2
FANTASTIC! I'll try to make this a true RK2729.img firmware file.

Thank you very much for doing this! Much karma to you!

Mille grazie!

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-13-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #59
duuri

thx will try it
pspad also makes txt from pdb... but i have about 3500 books in pdb and txt is bigger then pdb but i think i must live with txt for now

hopefully those firmware files will help you

to that mkv issue

this file didn't worked:
video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=24
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 7mn 7s
Bit rate : 5 000 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.226
Stream size : 249 MiB (90%)

but this worked:
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 41mn 45s
Nominal bit rate : 1 499 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.145

Last edited by duuri; 01-13-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #60
nrapallo

Quote:
i tried that firmware update tools but it doesn't recognize mi device.. driver which is with that tool doesn't work under w7 x64
The RK28_DM was updated to work with Win7 and 64bit systems according to this thread.

They have download links in the first two posts and a combined .rar with both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers available in this post.

Hope this helps!

Tags
next1, nextbook, per3072b, prestigio